gas door poll

Gas Door

• paint it some weird ass crazy color? (include color)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Downforce is only used if you're trying to steer ;)

Top speed = lower drag
Handling = downforce = more drag

A "spoiler" is just there to fight the natural lift (as a car is naturally shaped like a wing)

130+ my car was solid, but I wouldn't have wanted to steer...

northwestsupra

Sep 19, 2006
Washington, Marysville
from what i know, my shocks and springs are good, all though i have yet to measure my ride height to make sure everything was good all round and i am yet to check my condition of bushings or any suspension or steering part to be exact, it had a slight pull if i remember, so guessing toe was a little off "guess" tires were fine. but other than that i just remember backing off and watching my friend pass me, but in the end i won in my mind lol "it was a 3 car race" me - supra friend - eclipse spider and the competitor - fuckstang with k/n filter and ebaich springs lol

northwestsupra

Sep 19, 2006
Washington, Marysville
well good ending to a bad story, lol the quarter panel is saved. the door is bad to stock, and best part i turned the door pin unit sideways to add more tension to the cable and now my door opens lol actually the spring is strong enough it could possibly knock someone out if sitting next to it :p jk i'd still like to make it electric though. i wonder if radio shack carries 12V solenoids. take a look into that next week. meanwhile i found some good rust spots in my trunk do to crap hatch seal and washington weather :) anyone know how i should go about fixing this besides the obvious seal fix

northwestsupra

Sep 19, 2006
Washington, Marysville
Poodles;1399642 said:

well dont you steer when changing lanes and cutting people off. what about drifting? high speed turns sideways but not for traction lol. maybe i drive my car fast on the street. its just currently doing its sitting pretty pose in my garage for almost 3 years now :sarcasm:

KeithH

Mar 31, 2005
Portland, OR
Poodles;1399642 said:

A "spoiler" is just there to fight the natural lift (as a car is naturally shaped like a wing)

On the MkIV the rear spoiler does help with downforce... but not so much on the MkIII. On the MkIII the spoiler is just that... a "spoiler" to help disrupt the air coming off the back of the car to reduce...

wait for it...

DRAG!

Take a look at the NA Cd and the Turbo Cd and you'll see that the spoiler (the only body change) helps reduce the drag.

And on the downforce question - trust me... Gravity does more for your downforce than those silly wings - you just aren't going fast enough.

Oh yeah. Toyota did wind tunnel tests. F1 cars do wind tunnel tests. Your aftermarket fiberglass company did NOT do wind tunnel tests and I'm sure that when you mounted that thing on the back of your ride you also did NOT do wind tunnel tests to make sure it was placed exactly where it needed to be at the perfect angle and height.

KeithH

Mar 31, 2005
Portland, OR
northwestsupra;1399651 said:
well good ending to a bad story, lol the quarter panel is saved. the door is bad to stock, and best part i turned the door pin unit sideways to add more tension to the cable and now my door opens lol actually the spring is strong enough it could possibly knock someone out if sitting next to it :p jk i'd still like to make it electric though. i wonder if radio shack carries 12V solenoids. take a look into that next week. meanwhile i found some good rust spots in my trunk do to crap hatch seal and washington weather :) anyone know how i should go about fixing this besides the obvious seal fix

You could look in a U-Pull-It lot for another car that has a fuel door solenoid - not sure if theShack has solenoids or not.

You can try AutoLoc.com - that's where I got mine.

Wiring is VERY simple. From the solenoid... attach the ground to any grounding point. Run a red wire from the + on the solenoid to the front of the car somewhere and attach to a pushbutton. Attach the other side of the pushbutton to any 12V+ lead and done! Just attach the solenoid to the lever on the back of the fuel door release and adjust until it works.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
northwestsupra;1399651 said:

I'm guessing you missed my "30 seconds with a dremel" post?

Trim down the plastic plunger that the cable pulls = end of gas door hassles it only needs 1mm of engagement to latch....

karlmk3

Jul 18, 2009
thornton
put the gas door back on total ricer statues or fix it a lil better i can see your body work is something to be desired. and for a wing do the sc300 wing it look sick butlife it 17 in and ull match the bad bondo or shity door panel :3d_frown:

nhum

Consequence
Aug 25, 2005
VA
It's your car! If you like it, leave it on. If we all think alike, all of our cars would look the same.

northwestsupra

Sep 19, 2006
Washington, Marysville
karlmk3;1400254 said:
put the gas door back on total ricer statues or fix it a lil better i can see your body work is something to be desired. and for a wing do the sc300 wing it look sick butlife it 17 in and ull match the bad bondo or shity door panel :3d_frown:

i read what you said about 5 times. and still have no fucking idea what you said. i think what you said is, and correct me if im wrong.... put the gay gas door back on if you want to look like a ricer, or fix it and look better. you understand that bodywork is something that you desire. but if you are looking to put on a spoiler then use the sc300 spoiler because its sick as hell and its only a 17 inch spoiler. but yet it sounds like your saying you'll be pissed and take it off and have bondo holes to match the shitty door panel i have now.. if thats the case then i still have fucking idea what you are saying

Status
Not open for further replies.