Gas cap door stuck.

Greek

May 20, 2010
Ohio
Yup. It's been extremely cold that past couple days and I can't get it to open. I've tried everything, including prying the shit out of it while someone else yanks on the lever. I had to try to get help while at a gas station last night, but no dice. Today I tried it since it's a bit warmer and got it open once, sprayed liberal amounts of WD40 on the locking pin to try to see if it helps and now it won't open again. Got help and pried the shit out of it again, no results.

Any help please? I'm heavy on empty, and cars need gas to work for whatever reason.

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
You can pull directly on the thing that releases the door if you go behind the plastic panel inside behind the gas door.

Greek

May 20, 2010
Ohio
destrux;1804052 said:
You can pull directly on the thing that releases the door if you go behind the plastic panel inside behind the gas door.

Hm. Wouldn't I need to disassemble a lot of the interior in the hatch to get to that? The closest panel that I can take off is the one that has the power antenna connector.

Greek

May 20, 2010
Ohio
IJ.;1804076 said:
Get someone to push on the door while you pull the lever, once open use a Dremel or a file to shorten the Pin.

Already tried. Prying did nothing, but I remember if I pushed and twisted it would open last year. It didn't work this time. I sprayed a huge amount of WD40 through the space between the door and body. I'll let it sit over night and try tomorrow, if it opens I'll shorten the pin like you say.

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
I don't have the plastic in the back of my interior, so I'm not sure how easy it is to get to, but the gas door mechanism is right behind the power antenna (which I also don't have, but from memory, you can fit your hand around it to get to the gas door).

The rear plastic was pretty easy to take out, I think I stripped the whole cargo area in 15 minutes.

I wonder why they made that pin so much longer than it needed to be?

Greek

May 20, 2010
Ohio
I'll try to fit my hand, but I don't see that working. Are there any guides to stripping the interior out?

Hopefully I can fill up tomorrow, I have things that need to be done.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
As far as taking interior out Just remember one thing if you pull on it and it seems stuck you forgot to take a screw out lol. you don't want to crack or tear up your interior.

It's really simple and easy to pull out just got to find all the screws and clips and do it gently

Wamphyri

May 22, 2011
Windsor
theres the strip along the back where the locking mech is for the trunk, the wire for the gas door runs the same path try there first to see if it will release, it'll save a bit of time and since that would have to come off to be able to access the door from the inside it wouldn't hurt :)

bhmsupra

Supramania Contributor
May 29, 2008
It's Not Important Bro
Mine is stuck also... I noticed it when I went to add sta-bil. Lucky for me I had just topped off my tank for the winter. A buddy of mine by-passed his cable lever system in his 91 MR2 and just did a solenoid switch. Now it just pops open with the push of a button. That may be a long term solution for me.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
ewwww :nono:

Sounds like the Lever/cable layout is a little different RHD/LHD, almost certain I didn't have this sort of trouble getting mine to open, have you tried pulling on the outer cable a bit at the same time as pulling the lever with a Helper pushing the Door?