Funny Ricer quote of the day!

super51fan

Jul 28, 2010
Indianapolis
these kids drop so much money on these hondas. 6-10k for a K swap? 5K for the motor itself? for that same money i could be riding comfortably in a 2jz mk3 supra and they will still have the same car my mom drives. its like a V8 in a pinto.
and just because hondas are hard to blow up and parts are cheap, kids think they are race cars.
nothing is more annoying than a 4 cylinder banging off the rev limiter.
/rant

Setsuko37

Aug 13, 2011
Canal Winchester ohio
hondas are like american muscle prices, you could buy a ls7 with 700hp for 14k from jegs or you could put 14k in a Japanese motor and hell with 14k you could buy every little fanboy expensive thing u wanted and still push out more then 700 and have money left over

honeydew

Supra Freebaser
May 10, 2007
Toronto, Ontario
super51fan;1851687 said:
these kids drop so much money on these hondas. 6-10k for a K swap? 5K for the motor itself? for that same money i could be riding comfortably in a 2jz mk3 supra and they will still have the same car my mom drives. its like a V8 in a pinto.
and just because hondas are hard to blow up and parts are cheap, kids think they are race cars.
nothing is more annoying than a 4 cylinder banging off the rev limiter.
/rant

OUCH....

You guys are snobs. Civic's are awesome. I had an EG just before the M3. Not worrying about gas or blowing up an engine or even smacking up the body. Cheap to fix, cheap to modify and cheap to run. There isn't another car with a better ratio of speed:money.

It is a type of owner that gives Civics "poseur-punk" distinction. We know. Also, EG's are old and really falling apart. Trying to stay on top of the rust is impossible if you live above the Mason-Dixon. They just don't exist in good shape here. I imagine EK's are showing their age too.

Don't worry about K swaps. That's what Pro-modified Drag guys do. I use to have a bias against Civic's and the people who drove them especially. We had Talons, RX-7's, 300's, Supra's, NSX's, some higher end stuff and guys would roll in with their gutted Civics, extra $2000 in tires, busting the same or slightly improved 1/4 numbers. We stepped to another platform, they stuck with Civics cause it was easy. That stalls the progression of the sport.

We've all hated on tuner Civics/Honda's for so long the cars are disintegrating.

That was a fun, fast and loud winter beater/engine transport. I miss front wheel burnouts on winter tires and the way the 6 puck solid hub grabbed the car and, BANG, like you were hit by a truck. Every angle of engine was accessible. Drive down a quiet street, E-brake tire scream and scare some kids. Some lady road rages, hit the throttle to 9000rpm, she's done yelling.

1994 EG, 6-puck, ebay header, coilovers, chipped, 2nd hand Carbon Fibre hood. Awesome.
p1851786_1.jpg

honeydew

Supra Freebaser
May 10, 2007
Toronto, Ontario
A clean swap in a clean Honda isn't what I would call 'riced'. I've heard some people, mostly rural types, refer to any Japanese vehicle as 'Rice'. (eg. "Camry is 'rice'.") To me, that's just bigotry and lazy use of a fun term. I believe in two distinct variations of 'Ricer'.

A brief history of 'Rice':Genesis and Evolution

'Ricer': term for a member of a Sub-culture movement that was fallout from the Japanese import 'tuning' culture in the mid-late 1990's. In the late 90's, some serious Japanese import cars, produced a decade earlier, became affordable for a new market. Serious gear heads tuned, raced and custom outfit their imports. The 'ricer' sub-culture was established from following a trend with no interest of 'race tuning' performance.

A.) Ones who like to make cars perform ('Tuner Culture') and B.) Ones that don't care about performance but want the esteem and attention 'tuners' garnered. ('Sub-Culture Ricer')

'Ricer' Sub-Culture:

The latter dedicated extreme 'ricer' became increasingly flamboyant and ostentatious in car decoration. The less motivated 'Dumpster Ricers' wanted their car to announce they're involved in the trendy, Japanese tuner culture without a race car or spending any money.

The divided 'Ricer' Sub-Culture:

B1.) Religious Zealot 'ricers' invest serious money on design and materials. This extreme 'Ricer' sub-culture want to be synonymous with the hard-core, race-car building genius-drivers of 'tuner' culture. Thus ridiculous Pimp-My-Ride-esque Show and Shines sharing the venue at large Pro-X drag events everywhere.

B2.) 'Dumpster Ricers'. These are people who are not Car enthusiasts but recognize the benefit of the appearance of a fast car. Spending is avoided. Their lack of car knowledge and interest causes them to attempt self fabricating accessories. Both resulting in lousy workmanship and bad esthetic. These are the fun 'ricers', highly entertaining.

*****The above contains my own opinions, perceptions and final interpretation. Nothing can be verified as fact. This is a description of my understanding of the topic. Observed phenomenon over a 15 year span.*****

So, do you all agree about the definition? I was confused from the Honda bashing, I was wondering if you define Rice the same I do. If I'm missing something..... feel free.

91Supra313

Jul 30, 2009
Clarksville TN
Driving a fast Civic is like coming out of the closet, it's surprising at first, but in the end, your still gay..... lol. Sorry I had to put that on here. I got it from one of the Euro Supra sites.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
The car scene is overrun with kids that have watched too much Initial D/FnF and car "reality" shows and think all you need is some overnight parts from Japan and you can bolt together a 1000rwhp combo that will decimate all.... :nono:

Most of these guys can rattle off a parts list for this mythical 1000rwhp monster but don't have a clue how to calculate ring gap or what bearing clearences should be used..

There is a huge difference in a genuine 500rwhp car that can be driven every day for 10's of 1000's of miles without failure at that power level and something that makes 500 once on a dyno and drops it's bundle within a couple of 1000 on the road...

Numba1Stuna

Apr 18, 2012
Nampa, ID
91Supra313;1851865 said:
Driving a fast Civic is like coming out of the closet, it's surprising at first, but in the end, your still gay..... lol. Sorry I had to put that on here. I got it from one of the Euro Supra sites.

Lol! I agree. You can pour sprinkles on a turd, but it's still a piece of shit...

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

honeydew

Supra Freebaser
May 10, 2007
Toronto, Ontario
IJ.;1851866 said:
The car scene is overrun with kids that have watched too much Initial D/FnF and car "reality" shows and think all you need is some overnight parts from Japan and you can bolt together a 1000rwhp combo that will decimate all.... :nono: Most of these guys can rattle off a parts list for this mythical 1000rwhp monster but don't have a clue how to calculate ring gap or what bearing clearences should be used.. There is a huge difference in a genuine 500rwhp car that can be driven every day for 10's of 1000's of miles without failure at that power level and something that makes 500 once on a dyno and drops it's bundle within a couple of 1000 on the road...

Come on. It's not that bad. What difference does it make to anyone if some kid blows a few pay checks on parts he knows nothing about? I like those threads, it's like watching the scary movie and everyone's yelling "Lady. Do NOT go in there! Do NOT open that door, lady!". It's awesome, then all of the predictable help posts once he's started. Those are real time life lessons we're witnessing. Humanity at it's finest....

honeydew

Supra Freebaser
May 10, 2007
Toronto, Ontario
91Supra313;1851865 said:
... I'm coming out of the closet, it's surprising at first, but I'm still gay...... Sorry I had to put that on here......

Omg, Scandalous.

Numba1Stuna;1851883 said:
...I agree. You can pour sprinkles on my turd...

Keep it to yourselves or get a room already..... I'm a little shocked here boys. Not appropriate.

Numba1Stuna

Apr 18, 2012
Nampa, ID
This IS the room to trash on ricers(did you read the thread title?), not to glorify them. It would appear you are in the wrong room Mr. Honda fanboy ;)

honeydew

Supra Freebaser
May 10, 2007
Toronto, Ontario
Numba1Stuna;1851899 said:
This IS the room to trash on ricers(did you read the thread title?), not to glorify them. It would appear you are in the wrong room Mr. Honda fanboy ;)

Uh oh, you're angry. I'm sorry I take it all back. It's no ones business, and I will not tolerate anyone who even thinks about passing judgement on these two. Don't worry, I got your back bro.

FYI I'm a girl.

Nothing funnier than a good rice build. I glorified MY Civic cause it earned that. It's not rice. It's a normal Civic with a bunch of performance upgrades (necessary to be tolerated). Explain how that falls into the rice category? I still don't think I'm comprehending the definition....

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
honeydew;1851895 said:
Come on. It's not that bad. What difference does it make to anyone if some kid blows a few pay checks on parts he knows nothing about? I like those threads, it's like watching the scary movie and everyone's yelling "Lady. Do NOT go in there! Do NOT open that door, lady!". It's awesome, then all of the predictable help posts once he's started. Those are real time life lessons we're witnessing. Humanity at it's finest....
Gets old after the first 10 or so years...

Numba1Stuna

Apr 18, 2012
Nampa, ID
No one called your car rice, did they? You must be feeling guilty... Everyone here is just having fun, and you know what the thread was titled when you opened it, so you should know what to expect, Miss fanGIRL ;)

Sside

May 20, 2008
Houston
Some Honda Civics are fast, so are Go-Karts...... And the point is?...... At the end of the day its not always about who wins a race but who is driving what..... Yes there are many honda's that will beat our precious mk3's....... But how many civics do we see everyday? How many nice mk3's do we see in a month?...... Mk3's that have actually taken time to bring back and run most of the cars of today... At the end of the day the Honda most likely will continue to die a painful death once its passed down from owner to owner to owner from engine to engine to engine while some Supras actually get the chance to survive from people who in my opinion know cars better than 80% of the Honda civic owners.... And yes, mk3's also suffer from those who beat the crap out of the car and then get rid of it but in the end the mk3 is alot more rare and in my opinion 10X better than any Honda other than the two we all know about....