Fuel surge tank

stevenr816

Feb 12, 2007
Phoenix,AZ
www.myspace.com
I've been looking up different setups on cars. My cars going to be mainly a drag car but also going to have street use and some road race/auto x/ and drift stuff.

My question is how can you have an intank 255 lifter pump supplying a huge a1000? Is it cause the lifter pump isn't under pressure so the 255 gets bumped up alot? Cause 3 liters isn't that much gas to save up

Here's one pic
p1631040_1.jpg

And the setup on paper
p1631040_2.jpg

stevenr816

Feb 12, 2007
Phoenix,AZ
www.myspace.com
Right. But on paper it doesn't add up. A 255 supplying a 1000. If the 1000 was at max flow I don't see how the 255 would keep up with it after the tank was empty. Also i don't get your reference :(

northwestsupra

Sep 19, 2006
Washington, Marysville
I agree it doesn't add up. But I also don't understand the point of the surge tank.... is this like a alternative to a sump? Maybe the smaller walbro is just a pick up? Someone who understands this better will shoot a better answer than me.

sent from my ultimate droid

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
The small pump is making no pressure, its just moving fuel.
The large pump makes high pressure on a large area. What makes pressure? A restriction to flow.
Therefore the small pump can "out flow" the large one, because of the different jobs they have.

Also the return from the high pressure system goes to the surge tank. So the small pump only has to supply as much fuel as the injectors are supplying to the engine, at any given time.

northwestsupra

Sep 19, 2006
Washington, Marysville
If I'm looking at the diagram correctly the tank holds your fuel. The low pressure pump fills the surge tank. The high pressure pump takes the fuel from the surge tank to the injectors. All returned fuel returns to the surge tank. If the surge tank over-fills with fuel it returns to the tank. So it makes sense to use a small pump just for the surge tank

Also the a1000 is required to be at the same level or below the tank. I think the walbro can be placed anywhere. But I may be wrong

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
If the return is going straight to the Surge tank you're going to heatsoak it's fuel much sooner due to the small relative volume.

Larger the pressure pump the greater the volume of returned fuel unless you have some way to PWM the pump and slow it down off boost, the more returned fuel the sooner heat soak sets in and you need some way to compensate for the temp rise, modern cars run a sensor in the line/rail.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
My last setup was dual Denso uprated mk4 style pumps and I had them controlled by the ecu with each having it's own off/on/speed all based on demand/boost, I ran them in the 115L tank in a baffled area with fuel tanks foam surrounding them, 0 surge issues and it made heatsoak a non issue.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
aye mate;1631909 said:
Did that setup have a return, IJ?

It did but the flow back was minimal due to be able to change the pump speeds/volumes, running the pumps uncontrolled would heatsoak the entire tankfull in about an hour and a half of freeway driving to the point the tank was hot to touch and this threw the fuel mapping out at idle and around town in stop start driving.

While none of this is essential I'm just pointing out that it's an issue and I like my fast cars to drive like stock with no bad habits if possible.

northwestsupra

Sep 19, 2006
Washington, Marysville
So how about my setup then. Stock tank. Sumped. Aeromotive a1000. 880cc inj. High flow rail. Aeromotive fpr. Back to tank. Dual -8 feed. 6 return.

Heaksoak at all?

stevenr816

Feb 12, 2007
Phoenix,AZ
www.myspace.com
How are you guys baffling the stock tank?

My setup would be stock tank, dual or triple mk3 255 pumps with individual powers, 1250s, afpr, online filter, dual stock lines feeding the left and right side of the stock 7m rail with the cold start line being the return.

The individual pump powers would also switch fuel maps from street to race gas tune. So the pump being on would be set to minimal

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
northwestsupra;1631950 said:
So how about my setup then. Stock tank. Sumped. Aeromotive a1000. 880cc inj. High flow rail. Aeromotive fpr. Back to tank. Dual -8 feed. 6 return.

Heaksoak at all?

At cruise/idle the injector pulsewidth is tiny with large injectors if you're not slowing the pump under these conditions you're returning a huge volume of fuel to the tank and constantly recirculating it through the Hot engine bay and Rail means it has to heatsoak Trevor.

stevenr816;1631955 said:
How are you guys baffling the stock tank?

My setup would be stock tank, dual or triple mk3 255 pumps with individual powers, 1250s, afpr, online filter, dual stock lines feeding the left and right side of the stock 7m rail with the cold start line being the return.

The individual pump powers would also switch fuel maps from street to race gas tune. So the pump being on would be set to minimal
If I were to use a stock tank I'd drop it and squeeze a bunch of foam blocks inside, the stock tank has a plastic labyrinth chamber around the pump pickup and is pretty well designed but the rest of the tank is fairly open so you get a lot of slosh, the foam minimises this.

aye mate

Hiatus over.
Mar 30, 2005
Maryland
Never heard of that, IJ. Is there special foam just for fuel tanks? I would think that regular foam would break down and suck fhit up.