Fuel related question

xXSupramanXx

Drifter
Mar 12, 2008
Dayton
Ok so I'm swapping my GTE into a supra that originally had a GE in it. There's about half a tank of gas in the car still and I'm assuming that the owner used 87 octane when the car was up and running. The guy I bought it from only had the supra for a couple months and wasn't running when he bought it either. Should the gas just be drained out? I am unsure of what to do. Thanks in advance!

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
if it has been sitting for say a year then yes if it has been a couple of months it should be fine and burn threw, but the best idea would be to drain the tank and refill with new 91+ octane gas. turbo cars like the more octane you can give it.

Failure14

Banned
May 29, 2009
Ohio
hvyman;1517842 said:
if it has been sitting for say a year then yes if it has been a couple of months it should be fine and burn threw, but the best idea would be to drain the tank and refill with new 91+ octane gas. turbo cars like the more octane you can give it.

Agreed the gas will still be good.

[strike]But unless your going with a MHG etc then i wouldn't dump super high octane
into your motor because it will only increase your chances of the notorious BHG.

Its got its pros and cons,
higher octane is better for the car in general but can have its downfalls on a stock motor if
you beat it to death.[/strike]

By the way what part of dayton are you from?

Im right over here on smithville.

Last edited by a moderator:

apexi287

Jul 24, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Yeah turbo cars like higher octane but you'll be fine with that half tank it'll go faster then you think just don't rage on it when you first get it in. You wont hurt anything, or just fill it up and it'll all mix together instead of the hassle of draining it, you wont get it all out anyway so it'll go through eventually.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Failure14;1517855 said:

But unless your going with a MHG etc then i wouldn't dump super high octane
into your motor because it will only increase your chances of the notorious BHG.

higher octane is better for the car in general but can have its downfalls on a stock motor if
you beat it to death.

mhg has nothing to do with it. detonation from low fuel quality can melt the pistons.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
You have no idea what the fuel is or how much water/condensation/crap is mixed in with it...

IGNORE some of the less well informed "advice" given so far just dump the fuel and fill it fresh to be sure.

Guy's this is embarrasing at best and dangerous for a turbo engine at worst.

Failure14

Banned
May 29, 2009
Ohio
hvyman;1517868 said:
mhg has nothing to do with it. detonation from low fuel quality can melt the pistons.

Higher octane is a matter of how much compression the fuel is needed before igniting, in return gives MORE horsepower rating
for an engine not to mention is more heat, if headgaskets had nothing to do with it then we could go 500+ ponies with the stock head gasket....

You are right on the detonation part, but if the gas is only a month old it shouldn't be a problem as long as its not
a full freakin tank of old gas.

Again im not saying go ahead and go through with it, draining it would be better on the safe side,
but i doubt some guy is gonna lie about how long fuel has been in his car just to get you to buy
his motor.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
xXSupramanXx;1517831 said:
Ok so I'm swapping my GTE into a supra that originally had a GE in it. There's about half a tank of gas in the car still and I'm assuming that the owner used 87 octane when the car was up and running. The guy I bought it from only had the supra for a couple months and wasn't running when he bought it either. Should the gas just be drained out? I am unsure of what to do. Thanks in advance!

Failure14;1517921 said:
Higher octane is a matter of how much compression the fuel is needed before igniting, in return gives MORE horsepower rating
for an engine not to mention is more heat, if headgaskets had nothing to do with it then we could go 500+ ponies with the stock head gasket....

You are right on the detonation part, but if the gas is only a month old it shouldn't be a problem as long as its not
a full freakin tank of old gas.

Again im not saying go ahead and go through with it, draining it would be better on the safe side,
but i doubt some guy is gonna lie about how long fuel has been in his car just to get you to buy
his motor.

You really need to spend some time on comprehension before you open your mouth here.

The guy he bought it from hadn't ran it so who knows how old the fuel is....

As for "octane" do a little research and understand what it actually means before offering advice.

500rwhp can and has been done on a stock HG it's all down to the tune and keeping it out of detonation.

Failure14

Banned
May 29, 2009
Ohio
IJ.;1517935 said:
You really need to spend some time on comprehension before you open your mouth here.

The guy he bought it from hadn't ran it so who knows how old the fuel is....

As for "octane" do a little research and understand what it actually means before offering advice.

500rwhp can and has been done on a stock HG it's all down to the tune and keeping it out of detonation.

http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=What+does+octane+mean?

Tell me how i was wrong about a simple subject of octane...

And about the whole 500hp on stock headgasket, im sure it is possible and i think ive seen it
done a few times on here, but if thats the case then how about you go back and give yourself a
infraction for everytime ive seen you tell someone to go with a MHG since its "Not needed".

Cause i can almost promise you, on stock head gasket with 500+ you wont beable to push your car
as hard and for as long than if you had a MHG.

xXSupramanXx

Drifter
Mar 12, 2008
Dayton
Failure14;1517855 said:

But unless your going with a MHG etc then i wouldn't dump super high octane

you beat it to death.

I stay out in trotwood off of salem. We should meet up once I get my supra goin

---------- Post added at 01:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:11 AM ----------

IJ.;1517870 said:
You have no idea what the fuel is or how much water/condensation/crap is mixed in with it...

IGNORE some of the less well informed "advice" given so far just dump the fuel and fill it fresh to be sure.

Guy's this is embarrasing at best and dangerous for a turbo engine at worst.

Yea I'm leaning more towards this method. Any suggestions on the easiest way to do this? Haven't exactly attempted to do this just yet. Snows been setting back all of my plans

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
Failure14;1517941 said:

Gladly. Let's start with this:

Failure14;1517921 said:

This is completely incorrect. Octane is rating is an indication of fuels resistance to detonation. Additionally higher octane fuels burn slower than lower octane fuels. Higher octane fuel will actually produce LESS power in an engine that doesn't have sufficient compression/boost & the tuning to support it. You're wrong, you're talking out of your ass and honestly, you're making a god damned fool out of yourself.

As for a MHG - nobody suggested that you shouldn't use a metal headgasket to make 500 horsepower, it's one of the supporting mods that is just about damned required for it. However your jackass statements about fuel and it's relation to a metal head gasket show that you know just about enough on this topic to tell someone who doesn't know better some really stupid shit and have them believe it.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
Failure14;1517941 said:
http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=What+does+octane+mean?

And about the whole 500hp on stock headgasket, im sure it is possible and i think ive seen it
done a few times on here, but if thats the case then how about you go back and give yourself a
infraction for everytime ive seen you tell someone to go with a MHG since its "Not needed".

Cause i can almost promise you, on stock head gasket with 500+ you wont beable to push your car
as hard and for as long than if you had a MHG.

And you base this on how many of YOUR successful 500+rwhp builds?

Mike pretty well said it all but I'll add this, just SHUT UP, enough, I've been as polite as I'm going to be.

As for giving myself an infraction if the people I've suggested to use a correctly installed MHG had a clue and were prepared to spend the $ on management to do a safe tune I'd have said by all means use a composite as there's minimal chance of secondary leakage and they will survive just fine IF THEY'RE not detonated/rattled.

Failure14

Banned
May 29, 2009
Ohio
Supracentral;1517981 said:
Gladly. Let's start with this:

This is completely incorrect. Octane is rating is an indication of fuels resistance to detonation. Additionally higher octane fuels burn slower than lower octane fuels. Higher octane fuel will actually produce LESS power in an engine that doesn't have sufficient compression/boost & the tuning to support it. You're wrong, you're talking out of your ass and honestly, you're making a god damned fool out of yourself.

As for a MHG - nobody suggested that you shouldn't use a metal headgasket to make 500 horsepower, it's one of the supporting mods that is just about damned required for it. However your jackass statements about fuel and it's relation to a metal head gasket show that you know just about enough on this topic to tell someone who doesn't know better some really stupid shit and have them believe it.

From what i've read AND seen on paper is what im going by.

I personally was with my dads buddy about 2 years ago who had a completely bone stock 240sx,
who owns his own FIP Mustang dyno downtown, did 2 test, 87 and 98 octane with a OR-Tester and came out
with a 48hp both to 7500rpms, gain from 87 to 98 octane... Explain this to me please... No tuning in between.

Thats what i was going off of.

Not to mention there are a few videos on youtube doing this exact same comparison.

IJ.;1518013 said:
And you base this on how many of YOUR successful 500+rwhp builds?

Mike pretty well said it all but I'll add this, just SHUT UP, enough, I've been as polite as I'm going to be.

As for giving myself an infraction if the people I've suggested to use a correctly installed MHG had a clue and were prepared to spend the $ on management to do a safe tune I'd have said by all means use a composite as there's minimal chance of secondary leakage and they will survive just fine IF THEY'RE not detonated/rattled.

71 Nova SS and 88 Mustang GLX. Nova dyno'd at 483 but close enough.

This guy said nothing about money problems so why are you basicly telling him its normal
for people to go 500+ on stock HG? As mcuh as you moan and whine about BHG threads your
contradicting everything...

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I'm not "telling him" anything shitlips, if I wanted shit from you idiot I'd come squeeze your head and get it fresh, until then just STFU you're a moron.

As for "moaning and whineing" it's only natural after so many years of watching simple fools like you that have NFI and even less of an idea as to when to SHUT UP.

You contribute nothing here and your choice of username is perfect, the day you dyno 500rwhp with a 7M will be the day I'll listen to what you have to say, until then don't give advice in TECH.

If your buddies cousin's brothers uncle's 240 was knocking on 87 it was pulling timing to try and save itself, put 98 in it and it get's it's timing back changing the tune and makes the power it's capable of.

If you had half a brain you'd understand that concept and NOT dribble shit that it's the higher octane fuel making more power.

Try actually reading then understanding what Mike wrote if you can get it into your tiny pea brain...

Failure14

Banned
May 29, 2009
Ohio
IJ.;1518025 said:
I'm not "telling him" anything shitlips, if I wanted shit from you idiot I'd come squeeze your head and get it fresh, until then just STFU you're a moron.

As for "moaning and whineing" it's only natural after so many years of watching simple fools like you that have NFI and even less of an idea as to when to SHUT UP.

You contribute nothing here and your choice of username is perfect, the day you dyno 500rwhp with a 7M will be the day I'll listen to what you have to say, until then don't give advice in TECH.

If your buddies cousin's brothers uncle's 240 was knocking on 87 it was pulling timing to try and save itself, put 98 in it and it get's it's timing back changing the tune and makes the power it's capable of.

If you had half a brain you'd understand that concept and NOT dribble shit that it's the higher octane fuel making more power.

Try actually reading then understanding what Mike wrote if you can get it into your tiny pea brain...

Hey hey calm down guy no need to start crying and cussing in this guys thread, tissues are expensive.

1994 240 Stock there hp rating is 155, he came out at 151 on 87 and on 98 he came out on 199.... soo?

And i have no problem arguing with you or anybody for that matter as long as i learn something out of it,
and im sure you've noticed that as many times as we get into it lol :p
you just gotta learn how to do a little verbal sparring and dont nerd rage on me so quick...
reason being like i could care less if i look like a fool as mike aforementioned.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
Stock engine management will advance ignition timing until it senses detonation then it backs it off. This allows the best timing advance for the conditions present for good fuel economy and power at all operating conditions.

Running low octane fuel will render detonation sooner then higher fuel. The stock Management will retard timing with the lower octane fuel to keep the engine from detonating it self to permanent damage.

Putting in higher octane fuel will result in the timing reaching a more advanced threshold (before being backed of) then with the lower octane fuel. More timing equals more horsepower (to an extent) giving the gains shown.

Octane doesn't give horsepower, it allows more horsepower to be attained.

Running 87 octane may limit you to stock boost before things get dangerous inside the engine. Put in 100 octane and you can run up to maybe 20psi depending on management, turbo, intercooler and other factors. More boost will make more power (generally speaking), only the extra boost you can run is a much bigger difference then the added timing on an naturally aspirated engine attained from higher octane fuel.

Again and further more, Octane doesn't give horsepower, it allows more horsepower to be attained by increasing the intensity of conditions present before ignition inside the combustion chamber. Whether it be more ignition timing, more compression, more boost, or a combination of all of the above, the octane of the fuel needs to match the conditions.

Water/Methanol injection is a brilliant example of this.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Failure14;1518027 said:
Hey hey calm down guy no need to start crying and cussing in this guys thread, tissues are expensive.

1994 240 Stock there hp rating is 155, he came out at 151 on 87 and on 98 he came out on 199.... soo?

And i have no problem arguing with you or anybody for that matter as long as i learn something out of it,
you just gotta learn how to do a little verbal sparring and dont nerd rage on me so quick...
reason being like i could care less if i look like a fool as mike aforementioned.

You're not getting it - how many guys that actually know what they are talking about have to tell you that before it penetrates your thick skull?

I'm going to make this easy - if you post in the tech section, it had better be a question. Post here again giving any more "advice" based on your vast experience or "I heard" and you get a week off.
Got it?
That applies to this thread - your BS has already taken up enough electrons trashing the issue. Do not post here again or I will ban you the nanosecond I see it.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
Failure14;1518027 said:

You really are an imbecile.....

I can't decide if you're really this stupid and ignorant or if this is trolling.

I've put up with as much of your idiotic bullshit as I'm going to, open your fool mouth again and you won't be making another useless post in tech.

If nothing else hopefully this will highlight that people shouldn't listen to your "advice" so I'll leave the thread as is.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
xXSupramanXx;1517956 said:
I stay out in trotwood off of salem. We should meet up once I get my supra goin

---------- Post added at 01:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:11 AM ----------

Yea I'm leaning more towards this method. Any suggestions on the easiest way to do this? Haven't exactly attempted to do this just yet. Snows been setting back all of my plans
Couple of ways, you could try and undo the drain in the bottom of the tank but I see you live in the snow zone so more than likely it's NOT coming undone ever again ;)

You could syphon it out through the filler neck or you could unhook the fuel line at the J tube on the side of the block jumper the pump relay and let it pump through into a can and use it to wash parts.

I'd buy a few qt's of metholated spirits (denatured alcohol) and tip that in before you start as it will bind to any water in there and help it's removal, once the pump sucks dry tip another gallon or so of gas in and repeat then change out the fuel filter and you should be good to refill it.

One thing to take from this trainwreck of a thread is you don't get a second chance with a Turbo 7M they're an unforgiving bitch at the best of times, one good rattle will ruin your day and suck your wallet dry, gas is far cheaper than a rebuild.

xXSupramanXx

Drifter
Mar 12, 2008
Dayton
IJ.;1518041 said:
Couple of ways, you could try and undo the drain in the bottom of the tank but I see you live in the snow zone so more than likely it's NOT coming undone ever again ;)

You could syphon it out through the filler neck or you could unhook the fuel line at the J tube on the side of the block jumper the pump relay and let it pump through into a can and use it to wash parts.

I'd buy a few qt's of metholated spirits (denatured alcohol) and tip that in before you start as it will bind to any water in there and help it's removal, once the pump sucks dry tip another gallon or so of gas in and repeat then change out the fuel filter and you should be good to refill it.

One thing to take from this trainwreck of a thread is you don't get a second chance with a Turbo 7M they're an unforgiving bitch at the best of times, one good rattle will ruin your day and suck your wallet dry, gas is far cheaper than a rebuild.

Thanks a lot for the info! I really appreciate the time and help you provided