Fuel pump question

primercrx

Apr 19, 2009
Lexington, South Carolina
I discovered Sunday that my fuel pump is bad on Supra. The car is turbo. I was considering an OEM replacement but have heard that walbro's were a fairly good alternative to OEM. However, I feel that the reliability of the walbro's are not up to par. I guess my question is, would it be alright to use an OEM replacement or should I purchase an upgraded fuel pump? I'm not planning on anything above 10 psi. Suggestions? Comments? Anything would be appreciated. Thank you.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
lots of people have run walbros with no problems. for a 100 bux its a good deal. if your worried about the reliability run a mk4 tt oem pump.

primercrx

Apr 19, 2009
hvyman;1346713 said:
lots of people have run walbros with no problems. for a 100 bux its a good deal. if your worried about the reliability run a mk4 tt oem pump.

I also know of a few people around here running walbros in their cars...hence why I asked about the reliability b/c the people who are running them are on their 2nd+ pump. Also, is the 12v mod needed with the pump if I did in fact purchase a walbro?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
not necessary but replacing 20yr old wiring is always a good thing. a wide band and a afpr would be a wise investment for you tho.

Hmong_1G

Name the Place and time.
Dec 31, 2008
California
I just did my fuel pump yesterday. You have to drop the tank... which isn't bad at all. You will need another person around to make things easier. I had a walbro 255lph sitting around.... so I thought... more fuel is better. I had to fabricate somethings because the walbro was actually for a fox body mustang. After installation... everything came out good. Starts fine with better throttle response. Fuel consumption isn't bad at all if you stay out of boost. Whats not used gets returned back to the tank anyways. I can say that the walbro was worth the time... and in the long run better with an upgraded turbo. ( i already have RSR downpipe, suprasport LIPP neck, RSR full exhaust, HKS BOV, Blitz Intake kit, and now a walbro 255.) The walbro is a good investment. Maybe your friends were buying knockoff walbros?

primercrx

Apr 19, 2009
I'm not sure if they were knock offs or not, but for whatever reason they were having a bit of a problem with them. Maybe because they did something wrong during installation. I dunno. I guess I will stick to my original plans and go with the walbro. Thanks for the reassurance guys.

rayall01

Oct 10, 2008
Westfield, ma
primercrx;1346894 said:
What pump did you put in your car and why did you change it out?

Walbro 255. Early in my Supra life, I was trying to troubleshoot what I thought was a fuel supply issue, but it wasn't! Anyway, I replaced it for nothing, but decided it was a good upgrade for future planned mods.

supradjza80

Mr. Formula SAE
Apr 24, 2007
Appleton, WI
www.uwracing.com
I am going mk4 TT pump when I eventually have to switch from the OEM. Nothing beats OEM Denso/Toyota quality. And the lack of noise with the OEM MK4 pump is another reason to go that route. I have seen them online for 125$ brand new so I would just look around.

primercrx

Apr 19, 2009
rayall01;1346909 said:
None at all, and for about three years.

supradjza80;1346906 said:
I am going mk4 TT pump when I eventually have to switch from the OEM. Nothing beats OEM Denso/Toyota quality. And the lack of noise with the OEM MK4 pump is another reason to go that route. I have seen them online for 125$ brand new so I would just look around.

I pmed IJ last night and he to also recommended that fuel pump. I looked locally at my parts stores and they wanted right at $400 for a pump. Needless to say I was a bit shocked, lol. And rayall01, thanks for the information...you have been utmost helpful.

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA

If you get a new MKIV, fuel pump for $125 your getting a knock off ;) They are a great pump but no where near that cheap, I'm running one so I have researched

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
there are a lot of walbros that are cheap knock offs with walbro printed on them. to get rid of the whine you just need to securely hold them in place. they whine cuz there is movement where there mounted.

supradjza80

Mr. Formula SAE
Apr 24, 2007
Appleton, WI
www.uwracing.com
GC89;1347375 said:
If you get a new MKIV, fuel pump for $125 your getting a knock off ;) They are a great pump but no where near that cheap, I'm running one so I have researched

Uhh, so how do you know when you would receive a knock off or a genuine pump. I see them varying from 120 to 170 a pump on line. I just checked Elmhurst Toyotas section on SF and it looks like they are about $200 from them.

Last edited:

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under

Something to keep in mind is the 60psi internal bypass in a Denso.