Fuel filter replacement due to rust in injectors

chickeneater

Aug 18, 2013
Portland
Some rust has worked its way up the fuel line. Apparently the guy who cleaned my injectors said it was just a bit and the injectors are okay, but I should replace the fuel filter. Of course, that is easier said than done on the Supra, but I'd like to take a look at it anyway.

My question is, is it possible to just unbolt and lower the differential a few inches? Or, do I have to completely remove it and/or the subframe?

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
You CAN actually replace the filter without removing anything, but it's tight.
Thing is, I'd remove the fuel tank regardless. That rust didn't originate from the filter, it's being formed in the tank.

7M4EVR

Oct 8, 2012
fah, fah away
chickeneater;1963629 said:
Of course, that is easier said than done on the Supra

IDK I dropped the tank and changed the fuel pump and put it back up in about an hour. Not bad at all. Just be careful when loosening the bolts that hold the metal tank straps. Mine were in bad shape and broke off.when i loosened them.

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
Use FLARE NUT WRENCHES to avoid the frustration of possibly stripping the flare nuts. It's real easy to strip them using regular wrenches. Plus one on dropping the tank. You need to clean it out as best as you can.

BryanDyer

Jun 13, 2012
Georgia
supraguy@aol;1963663 said:
You CAN actually replace the filter without removing anything, but it's tight.
Thing is, I'd remove the fuel tank regardless. That rust didn't originate from the filter, it's being formed in the tank.

Yeah there's no need to be dropping anything. It's like a 20 min replacement, and that's for a first timer. It's quite simple just Tight as he said^^.

chickeneater

Aug 18, 2013
Portland
thanks for the advice everyone.

id like to try the solutions that dont involve dropping anything (i didnt know there were any!), but im not sure what brake line wrenches are. i just know my normal combination wrenches are a bit too long to fit above the diff. link please?

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
Get some line wrenches. Drop the tank. Clean it. Replace fuel filter. Forget about it. If you don't clean out the tank you're likely to just have another issue in a short matter of time.

Sent from my HTC Droid DNA

chickeneater

Aug 18, 2013
Portland
crimson88;1963794 said:
I used brake line wrenches, didn't drop anything, and it took a total of maybe ten minutes to replace my filter.

could you please give me a brief rundown of the tools you used and how you did it? forgive me; i dont know what brake line wrenches are!

crimson88

Apr 26, 2009
Springdale
^those. They slide over the fuel line then down onto the nut and is much less likely to strip it. That's pretty much all you need, iirc. It just took a little contorting, but wasn't near the big deal I expected from reading about it. Maybe I got lucky.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Like backlash said, drain the tank and drop it!
You're only going to clog the new filter if your tank is rusting. Plus, are you still on your original fuel pump?
Great opportunity to swap it out, especially if you ever plan on making more than stock power. I'm getting rid of my Walbro pump in a few days, if you wanted an uprated pump for cheap.

chickeneater

Aug 18, 2013
Portland
again, thanks for the advice everyone.

just to clarify, i would really like to clean the fuel tank because clearly something got in there to corrode it, but im deciding if i want to invest that time (ive never cleaned a fuel tank before). this is just a car i bought to solely to rebuild the toyota inline 6, so im actually looking to pass it onto someone else pretty soon as a project car and would list the fuel tank as needing work. i was thinking the fuel filter was a cheap, 15 minute task that i could do while i had the car jacked up (like basically every other car ive worked on...). so, ill just get some wrenches and try that, which will be a super low effort learning experience. if for some reason i end up keeping the car longer, DEFINITELY learning to clean the fuel tank.

thanks!

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
I just don't see why you'd replace the filter, when it's likely the tank that's the real problem, but ok.

Be aware that if you don't invest in the two flare wrench sizes you need, you WILL strip out, or kink the fuel lines.
This would force you to add the line to your craigslist ad:
"needs a new fuel tank and new fuel lines run to the back..."

PS- about the tank(which is stupid-easy to replace)- Here's one in your back yard, you're welcome, and good luck whichever way you go with this.

http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/pts/4052850337.html

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Backlash2032;1964066 said:
I was also thinking that. The filter should have caught it..

Sent from my HTC Droid DNA
Yep worst case scenario is the filter blocks and it leans out and won't run properly under power, never heard of a filter letting crap through into the Injectors...