fuel cut?

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
With. My fuel pump is a denso Mkiv fuel pump (same as walbro I believe, just quieter)
It was over feeding my injectors so I was going to 10.0 (or lower) at about 3400 rpm at WOT.

If your talking about setting it... it was set with the vacuum off. It operates with the Vacuum on (misunderstood)

Last edited:

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
No, the Mk4 Denso pump is NOT the same as the Walbro. It's better, and it connects up just like OEM.

Don't set fp with vacuum on, because then it will vary with cold/warm idle, and whatever RPM your ECU thinks that it needs at that time. Always set with the line off, then you get more consistent results. (That said, it may well work perfectly for YOU, but it becomes a useless number for comparison to another car in a different location.)

I keep saying it, but wideband is not needed for just the Lex/550 upgrade. Certainly a run on a dyno with a wideband connected is a good idea, and it will let you know if there's something wrong, but with just the Lex/550s in place, there's nothing that you can do about it. With an AFPR, you can make some gross adjustments to open loop, but stock trim is still safe.

As soon as you start tuning, and using something to adjust your AFRs, then a wideband is needed, but not until.

With an upgraded fuel pump, an AFPR is a good idea, but you can also just remove the restriction from the "J" tube and use the stock FPR. It can still do the job just fine, but the restriction may make for higher fuel pressure than you really want at low load.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I agree.. the wideband is useless although it is a nice little "idiot light". It's what triggered me to ask about the 10.0 I was getting so early in the RPM range as that just seemed to be far too rich (and it was). So.. in that instance it was good, although in the end it would have been noticed on the dyno. Part of my trouble was, RCTS did all the work EXCEPT the fuel pump. I replaced the gas tank and pump myself and they were assuming I was running on a stock fuel pump. Once I pointed out I was running the MKIV fuel pump, it answered a few questions.

A Supra BPU setup is pretty straight forward, but the variants can cause confusion. (which is why I gave the initial response simply as "Lexus AFM upgrade + 550 injectors = solved fuel cut issue")