Front Subframe, Poly Bushing Question

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
What keeps the front subframe with a polyurethane bushing from riding up and down the crush sleeve?

The crush sleeve is roughly 1" longer then the bushing. While the crush sleeve is bolted to the car body, the bushing is not and is free to pivot up and down if enough force is applied.

Am i overlooking something?

suprajztwenty

Nov 5, 2009
corinth tx
subframe bushings or do you mean front control arm bushings? if you mean control arms, do you mean upper or lower?

nevermind, sorry...i see the bushings you mean in the front, i didnt know there were any up there.
MBT444B.gif

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
yea 52211F are the stock ones. Found ES bushings that should work, waiting on confirmation on crush sleeve and then actual fitment.

Think I figured it out. The isolator between the subframe and frame rail is a rubber padded metal cup/washer. It acts as a bump stop for when the subframe does move. With out it installed, the subframe can move roughly 0.66" upwards before contacting the frame rail. With it installed, this movement is reduced to 0.23-0.27"(not sure how far the rubber will give but uncompressed the free space is 0.23"). Now there is also another rubber grommet that fills this 0.23" free space up but is quite soft and flexible.

Soo you either need to keep the stock isolator installed, or install a polyurethane spacer to remove this gap. Good thing is the poly spacer should be easy to source..

All measurements taken with suspension and car fully assembled and resting on the wheels. You can actually pry the bushings out in 15-20 minutes with 2 pry bars..

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
suprajztwenty;1923777 said:
i wonder if you could do something similar to the driftmotion rear spacers?

you definitely could but the stock rubber bushing in the subframe would still allow some movement. The effort to place a spacer wouldnt be worth it IMHO. Youd be so close to getting the stock bushing out, you might as well do it all.
Im betting that the rear subframe spacers still allow some side to movement under extreme conditions. Id be curious if any body has taken a set off and noticed wear marks.

Bushings should be in Friday then they will need some tweaking and install over the weekend. $65 shipped and I spent $10 to much to give myself some options..

RPSil13

Nov 30, 2006
Anaheim, CA
is this the ronnie k front subframe bushings?

if so this is a known issues, the sleeves are too long,

most people cut the stock "washer" from the sleeve and flip it upside down or cut down the sleeves

theres a few threads on here

heres the thread i started when i ran into this problem
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?127943-issue-w-poly-front-subframe-bushings

ended up searching and finding another thread i think by "kneedragger" if i can find it again ill edit this comment

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
Not the ronnie K, Going a different route. But the issue would be the same regardless if using polyurethane. Based on your pick, what keeps the subframe from sitting flat with the washer?

You should be able to pull it down the rest of the way. The bushing will slide vertically on the crush sleeve. Then the gap between the top of the subframe and bottom of the frame rail is now a point of concern.