Freshly Painted Wiper Arms and Windshield Cowl

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
Hey, I just wanted to post up my results with painting my wiper arms and cowl. I didn't want to just buy the cheap Walmart or Autozone paint that wouldn't last real long, I wanted to get a quality paint that would last long. I contemplated powder coating the pieces, but there are some plastic pieces on them so this was not a real option. I went to a local automotive paint store and bought SEM Trim Black (39143), a can of SEM XXX Adhesion Promoter, and a grey scuff pad. I took the wipers off and prepped them like they told me to do at the paint store.

1. Wash good and dry
2. Scuff with grey scuff pad
3. I taped of the rubber part on the rear wiper and put tape in the splines on the wipers so they don't get covered in paint
4. Wipe down with Rubbing Alcohol and wipe it off quickly with a dry cloth to make sure you are removing any grease or dirt
5. Paint them (no need for the adhesion promoter or primer unless there is no paint left at all)

I was not happy with the results with the SEM Trim Black on the wipers. It came out very spotty and completely flat. It looked almost grey because it had no shine to it at all. I chose not to paint the cowl with this, and went back to get a different product to do the wipers with again and the cowl.

This time I bought SEM Bumper Coater Honda Black (39293). The prep was almost the same except I didn't wash them this time. I just scuffed them again, wiped with rubbing alcohol, and painted. From the start I could tell that this was the color that I had originally wanted. It has a slight gloss to it, but isn't super reflective. It looks just like the finish on newer cars. I did the cowl with this product also, the only difference in the prep for the cowl was that I used some very small wire brushes and scrapers to get the rust off, taped off the rubber seal that goes against the windshield, and then used the Adhesion Promoter before painting.

One thing that I did not do was mark the location of the wipers before I took them off, so this made it a little bit more difficult to align them when I went to put them back on. I would recommend marking them before you take them off.

Here are some before pictures:

These pictures are from over a year ago and the pieces had started to fade even more than they are in the pictures.

Here is the final result. I am very happy with it, hopefully the extra money spent on the good paint is money well spent and it holds up for a long time. I also installed new wiper arm nuts on the front and new Toyota wipers all around.

Feel free to post and questions or comments. Hopefully this will help someone out.

Last edited:

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
akito;1955739 said:
Impressive! I love small details, surprisingly it makes the whole car looks a lot better. Good job!

Thanks everyone. That's why I had to do this, no one else probably ever noticed it but it bugged me so I had to fix it. It is the small things that make a difference, and they begin to add up.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Looks great, but you know that you could have just taken the wipers themselves off the arms, so that you wouldn't have to mask off the rubber...

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
supraguy@aol;1955890 said:
Looks great, but you know that you could have just taken the wipers themselves off the arms, so that you wouldn't have to mask off the rubber...

I did. I took the wipers themselves off and replaced them with new Toyota ones. I meant on the rear wiper there is a piece of rubber that goes over the arm where it bends. Its kinda like a rubber sleeve that goes over that part. That's the rubber part that I masked off.

bandit1730

May 19, 2012
Miami FL 33181
Did you applied some clear coat?? Painters always tell me that base coat quality is not as important as the clear coats. If you want it to last a long time, clear coat it as per painter's advice.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
bandit1730;1955953 said:
Did you applied some clear coat?? Painters always tell me that base coat quality is not as important as the clear coats. If you want it to last a long time, clear coat it as per painter's advice.

No, I didn't clear coat it. I asked them about a clear coat at the paint shop and they said this is the top coat and is not meant to be clear coated. The paint I used is made for painting bumpers and other parts that are on the outside of cars and will take abuse so it should last.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Looks really good. Just a note.. I used gloss black engine paint on my wiper arms specifically because they get a lot of sun and bug abuse (only drive in spring/summer). 3 years and they look the same as when I painted them.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
Grandavi;1955977 said:
Looks really good. Just a note.. I used gloss black engine paint on my wiper arms specifically because they get a lot of sun and bug abuse (only drive in spring/summer). 3 years and they look the same as when I painted them.

I thought about using an engine type of paint, but I'm happy with this. I keep the car super clean even though I drive it almost daily, but when it is not out with me it is safely tucked into the garage.

bandit1730;1955982 said:
I am in sunny, hot & humid Miami and that's my concern.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Yeah, Its also real hot and very humid here where I am at in Alabama. I ended up painting them right before it got dark here, in the shade of the house and definitely not under any trees. I figured this is the best time of the day because the temperature is starting to go down and it is a lot less humid than in the morning when all the dew is still on the ground. The guy at the paint store said 70* is the best, 80* is still ok but your flash times become shorter, 90* isn't good and the flash times are very short, and anything above 90* you shouldn't be painting.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Silver MK3;1955939 said:
I meant on the rear wiper there is a piece of rubber that goes over the arm where it bends. Its kinda like a rubber sleeve that goes over that part. That's the rubber part that I masked off.

The rubber doesn't do anything, really. Don't know why they put in on there.
I removed it on mine, and powdercoated the rear arm.

ps- The black you tried using that turned grayish- probably because on the temp/ humidity combo you have in Alabama.
It's happened to me before, here in GA as well.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
bandit1730;1956166 said:
Over 90 all summer here in Miami.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

You might be better off waiting until fall, or if you have access to a paint booth of some sort that would work too.

supraguy@aol;1956205 said:
The rubber doesn't do anything, really. Don't know why they put in on there.
I removed it on mine, and powdercoated the rear arm.

ps- The black you tried using that turned grayish- probably because on the temp/ humidity combo you have in Alabama.
It's happened to me before, here in GA as well.

Yeah, I didn't see the purpose in it either, but it was still in good condition so I just left it.

That is possible with the paint turning grayish because of the temperature and humidity. I am definitely not a fan of humidity. It just makes going outside awful...

bluepearl

Jul 21, 2005
pa.
The rubber on the wiper arm is used for ice protection. It allows the wiper to remain flexable during freezing climatic conditions.