Free Truck!

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
Well, I got a truck a couple weeks ago for the cost of a new title and license plates. It's a 1987 Ford F-250, 6.9 Liter International Harvester diesel engine, 4-speed with overdrive, and 268,000 miles. Still runs great though, so I'm happy!

DSC00706.JPG

DSC00707.JPG

DSC00708.JPG

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
Clip;1483186 said:
wow. 6.9l is pretty sizeable.

It is quite hefty. It's rated 140hp and 310 ft-lbs of torque....at 1400 RPM.

boricua114;1483196 said:
NICeeee I'd lift it and put swampers on it, But thats just me, in Florida lol

I thought about that sort of thing, but it's 2WD, so swampers and such don't really make sense since I don't plan on offroading. I'm thinking it will live out its life as a tow vehicle.

nick88

JayHall's Hero
May 10, 2009
Des Moines, Iowa, United States
My grandpa has a 85 f-250, that he bought new in 85 and only has 98k miles. Snowplow and 4x4, I think it is the 7.3 though, but I can understand free, cause when he was looking at new trucks, the dealer's would only give him $500 trade in for it, and that was mainly for the 8.5ft blade hanging off of the front of it.

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Emilio- that thing's a moose! I know what it'll be good for- dragging Sean's Supra around! :biglaugh:

..or his Volvo

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
toyotanos;1483213 said:
Emilio- that thing's a moose! I know what it'll be good for- dragging Sean's Supra around! :biglaugh:

..or his Volvo

No kidding. Problem is, he already is able to borrow his Uncles' Ram 2500, the trailer is the missing element. Also, Sean needs to get off his ass and fix his cars, I know he has the skills...

Clip;1483240 said:
shame its not 4wd, but definitely perfect for towing

It's sort of a bummer, particularly with winter up here. Snow traction is nil with lots of torque and no weight over the rear wheels. On the other hand though, I've read the 4WD systems on these trucks can be problematic, and the simpler the better when there are 268,000 miles on the clock. It doesn't even have a turbo!

nick88

JayHall's Hero
May 10, 2009
Des Moines, Iowa, United States
The lockouts have some problems, but only because people are to lazy to get out and turn them. If they are left locked in 2wd the wheel bearings tend to go bad in front, I did it with my grandpas truck, and it was a bitch to change, wasn't that costly either.

The only problems I have had with the truck that my grandpa has like this is the flat spots in the wheels from sitting and tires dryrotting. And they can take a beating, I slid into a tree and telephone pole while plowing his driveway on ice and didn't hurt much but the bumper and door, on seperate occasions though, not all at once. I think you can see it in some of my pictures in my thread.

It does have about the best heater I think I have ever felt, I plow in a t-shirt and nike's.

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
nick88;1483276 said:
And they can take a beating, I slid into a tree and telephone pole while plowing his driveway on ice and didn't hurt much

This truck at one point hit a deer, but we weren't able to find where...it was completely undamaged. :biglaugh:

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
emiliorescigno;1483262 said:
No kidding. Problem is, he already is able to borrow his Uncles' Ram 2500, the trailer is the missing element. Also, Sean needs to get off his ass and fix his cars, I know he has the skills...

Amen to that.

emiliorescigno;1483262 said:
It's sort of a bummer, particularly with winter up here. Snow traction is nil with lots of torque and no weight over the rear wheels. On the other hand though, I've read the 4WD systems on these trucks can be problematic, and the simpler the better when there are 268,000 miles on the clock. It doesn't even have a turbo!

Get a crap ton of sandbags, lock up the rear end, slap a HY35 on it and you're set! A plow may help pay off said upgrades, if you are so inclined...
Even the plow truck at my dealer is (essentially) 2wd, since the front diff has to be in the mood to work. I can hear it now... "Thanks for choosing Rescigno Plowing" :icon_bigg

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
nick88;1483276 said:
It does have about the best heater I think I have ever felt, I plow in a t-shirt and nike's.

Right on. Fuck pants and undies!

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
:rofl: I can't imagine you in a red neck truck at all, Emilio!! But the price is right. Dose it have 4 wheel drive?

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
MDCmotorsports;1483821 said:
You know there's a turbo kit for that 6.9 right?

I figured there would be, but the last thing this arthritic old engine needs is more stress on its internals...

92nsx;1485198 said:
:rofl: I can't imagine you in a red neck truck at all, Emilio!! But the price is right. Dose it have 4 wheel drive?

I can't either, maybe that's why it's so much fun. :biglaugh:

Only 2WD though.

FIL

Jul 17, 2007
Thornlie
blog.highoctanephotos.com
red neck trucks are awesome... or in particular, f trucks :)

i got a 91 f250 ambulance, with a 351 windsor, they're great to drive because it's like driving a lounge chair... you just sit back, relax, put it in D and go for it...

mind you, when it comes to big motors and luxury, the caddy is 7.7 litres, and if the f250 is like driving a lounge chair, this thing is like driving a sofa... :)