Found rust on my car, should i sell or fix ?

ms07s

TORGUE!
Sep 29, 2007
Memphis,Tn
Hard to tell with the trim on, remove it and see what you are really working with. Dome/map light still work?

ms07s

TORGUE!
Sep 29, 2007
Memphis,Tn
Putty knife and 15min and you will know. Is the rest of the car free of rust? ( undercarrage, wheel wells, spare tire area)

Alec

SP Tuned
Apr 6, 2009
Illinois
Fix. If that's the only rust, you shouldn't be too worried. 99% of cars that are 20+ years old is bound to have rust.

ms07s

TORGUE!
Sep 29, 2007
Memphis,Tn
From what I can see, the paint was chipped and water got between it and metal. Or it got in the trim and found a weak spot, Simple sand and prime repair should be fine. If your still worried you could have the window removed to check for deeper damage. I wouldn't go that far for what looks to be just a bit of surface rust.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
I wouldn't keep it. Rust is particular to where you live from the climate and how the roads are taken care. It is your car and your decision.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
If the rust you are showing is the only rust you have, worst case scenario, you only need a hatch. You are in California, so a junkyard find isn't out of the question. Hell, you might even find one the right color.

That said, it looks like a simple job for a body shop.

LAYZORBEEMZ

JZX73 owner
Jun 28, 2009
Maple Ridge, B.C.
you should see the rust on my car, 1000x worse than that, you could probobly sand and bondo that.
I have to replace the entire spare tire compartment and take out my windsheild to fix mine.

slidebabyslide

Starting FRESH !!!!
Dec 17, 2006
salinas,california
Im going to try and fix it, if i see that the rust is just to much , i will just sell it. There are alot of nice mkIII running around in cali , so im sure i can find a better one. I will try and do that today. I will post pics up , i love using my d60 it's a breeze taking pics, haha.

ians13

Nov 8, 2005
Jacksonville, fl
fix that bro damn that's minor rust, take the glass out grind it down to metal treat it prime it paint it and be done with it. easy fix get a glass company to take the glass out. if it breaks well am sure you could use a new windsheild on a 20+ year old car.

briggsy

TEAM BHG 247
Feb 4, 2007
with the kangaroos
thats rust is not bad, dont scrap the car if that is the only rust, judging by the photos it is at the bottom of the pillars in the next to the windscreen.

Simple repair, remove windscreen, clean the effected area and replace with fresh metal if needed. paint it

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
Agreed with a lot of the other replies, that's very minor. I've got to cut out a good chunk of my rear passenger quarter panel/wheel well area and get a new fuel door because of rust from a hit and run from before I bought the car. Got the car for a good deal though, so I'm not really complaining to much. If you really can't afford to fix it right now, find a spray paint that is as close as you can get to the color, clean the area up with a wire brush and then soap and water, tape the area off, and spray it until you can do it properly. This will at least minimize the chances of it getting worse.