Forged Pistons...???

Mr. 7M-GTE

Oct 19, 2010
Houston, TX
I've got a question for the guys who have actual knowledge on building 7M's...the Probe forged pistons for sale on Driftmotion, how's the quality on them? Has anyone ever used them and is able to provide feedback? I'm going to start building a second longblock I've got lying around and I was looking at a Probe set. Just wanted a little insight, guess I'll go google them in the meantime. Thanks guys!

CT26smoker

Banned
May 25, 2010
Houston
Good choice!
I have had both Ross, Wiseco & JE.
Ross are heavy pigs, compared to the Wiseco & JE.
I tend to lean towards JE a little.
Would never try the probes due to their 'mystery' country of origin, which accounts for valve pockets being inconsistant.

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I've run JE's before and I find them to be a work of art really. It's a damn shame they get hidden away inside the motor. But They never let me down, the quality is really top notch as far as I'm concerned. Side by side they make the stockers look like crap.

Mr. 7M-GTE

Oct 19, 2010
Houston, TX
Hmmm...both JE and Wiseco are pretty similar in price. I've had JE's in some of my old Honda builds and they held up pretty well. If it ain't broke, don't fix it huh?

Mr. 7M-GTE

Oct 19, 2010
Houston, TX
Well I suppose what I'm trying to do in this situation is refrain from buying pistons like one would buy jeans for example...all brands are the same. I just want to purchase what would be the best fit for my 7M.

Blackdawg

Taco Soup..my rides
Oct 12, 2010
Wyoming
dont see what the major issue is with probe...i got some and they look awesome. just like those JEs posted above..

Mr. 7M-GTE

Oct 19, 2010
Houston, TX
I'm sure Probe isn't a "bad" product for the money, but that's the point in itself...if I'm trying to enhance the reliability and performance of my engine I shouldn't try to save money by buying an obscure product. I'll play it safe and stick to what I know. I've heard more horror stories than success stories on Probe so far, that's reason enough for me to do it right the first time around.

Blackdawg

Taco Soup..my rides
Oct 12, 2010
Wyoming
fair enough. But from what i have read. its all in your tune. lots of ppl are even running NRP pistons and beating the hell outa their car and it holds up fine because they have a great tune. So for 500whp, i think probes would be fine...now over that and like 600 and beyond. then yes, id get JE CP wisecos or SLP or Titian.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
There is a thread for the probes with installation instructions. There are some things that need to be done.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
The benefit to Probe pistons is they are cheap.

The downside is that they've only been on the market for a short period of time. Nobody has run them for a decade, or two, at high power levels, then torn down the engine and shown that they are still going strong. They may very well get there in another 6-7 years, however, they might just fail miserably before then. There's no way to predict that with 100% accuracy.

Beefy_Heafy

Toyota Love
Nov 9, 2009
South East Qld
I have a set of arias 9.0:1 cr forgies. i really liked the size of the ring lands. Ill post a piccy later when i get home from work. Also iirc they arent too heavy either. although i blindly stumbled into the choice of piston and compression im really happy with them now that ive learned a bit more.