For those thinking about removing powersteering...

DegreE

Banned
Jan 11, 2008
Memphis & Miami
Don't do it.

Last night on the way to dinner, I went to avoid a pothole in the road I noticed my wheel was really really really really really really hard. I was like wtf?

So I pulled over and popped the hood... my PS belt was just hanging there on the harmonic balancer all chewed up. So I grabbed my knife and just cut it off. Now I have to go back to work on monday, put the car on the lift and find out why it came off. But until then, driving the car isn't going to be fun. It sucks.

I remember I deleted the PS in my 95 Eclipse and drove it for a year with no problems, it was rather easy compared to a Supra. Its a fucking work out. :aigo:

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
It's one of the hardest parts on the motor to remove while it's in the car, by far, especially if you Don't have a lift. That said, you can get used to driving the Supra without it. My car is missing a hardline on the rack, so I can't use it.

Ma70.Ent

Supramania Contributor
Feb 26, 2006
NJ
Not that I promote removing power steering, just because you can't turn the wheel doesn't mean other people can't :)

DegreE

Banned
Jan 11, 2008
Memphis & Miami
I'm not removing it from the car, I gotta find out why the belt came off in the first place so I don't loose the next belt I put on there. I just changed them all recently when I did my timing belt, radiator, themostat, and waterpump.

csolstad

Nov 12, 2005
Clinton, NJ
Ma70.Ent;1076704 said:
Not that I promote removing power steering, just because you can't turn the wheel doesn't mean other people can't :)

lol 4 real, im used to it now, i can even parallel park without breaking a sweat..
keep it up for a year or two and you'll have ripped arms lol

Kckazdude

Mar 16, 2007
Memphis, TN
There is no way I am giving up my PS. Although you could drive the car without it. It just makes things that much more difficult.

ForcedTorque;1076703 said:
My car is missing a hardline on the rack, so I can't use it.

Which line? I have a complete rack that I could strip one off for you if needed.

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
Go to the gym if you find it hard to drive without PS. I mean, it is a little more difficult without it but not as hard as people think it is.

HommerSimpson

Dec 31, 2007
New Smyrna Beach Florida
man o man.... lol well my PS pump took crap about 1000 miles after bought her.. ive put 12,000 + on ... when i rebuilt motor this time i got a used pump from junkyard... yes PS is nice.... but it was no big deal with out... AT ALL...

anyone wana arm wrestle ? j/k

yes its nice to have but if i was really into shaving weight it would go... long before a/c

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
On the topic of the chewed up belt...

If the bolts that hold the pump in place get loose, the belt flips over and gets shredded. Ask me how I know...

Looping the lines on the rack is a lot easier than having the backpreasure from the pump and everything when just the belt is off. Personally, I like my LUXURY GT CAR with the LUXURY still in it...

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
Poodles;1076813 said:

If the bolts that hold the pump in place get loose, the belt flips over and gets shredded. Ask me how I know...

Looping the lines on the rack is a lot easier than having the backpreasure from the pump and everything when just the belt is off. Personally, I like my LUXURY GT CAR with the LUXURY still in it...

I like my luxury too....when I fly past the other car trying to race me and I am only on low boost. :biglaugh:

DegreE

Banned
Jan 11, 2008
Memphis & Miami
Poodles;1076813 said:

Hmmm, I did notice my belt was 'inside out' hanging on my balancer.

I'll check everything on monday and get a new belt from Toyota. (I hope they have one in stock) I think I bought the last one they had when I bought everything a few months ago.

ms07s

TORGUE!
Sep 29, 2007
Memphis,Tn
Panzy.:sarcasm:

Get a new belt from any parts store~$7 no wait its in stock. Both Of my supras have had PS issues. The N/A broke the belt on my way home and no PS for a day there. Then the presure hose blew out about a year later and I went without for three weeks waiting for the line to show up(that was a fun job to do there I tell ya). And my Turbo developed a PS Pump leak and I had to go without for a few days on this one. Just go without for a while and watch your forearms grow!:biglaugh: