For Those Running (or have run) a GT4088R (aka GT40R) Turbo

Beefy_Heafy

Toyota Love
Nov 9, 2009
South East Qld
hey fil. yeah ive got a gt3582r on my 7m for epic response it came standard with fittings for -4an inlet and the flange for the outlet which ends up being around -10an or 1/2" kinda size... but by the look of the inlet there is an inbuilt restriction on the bearing housing itself.

RacerXJ220

Interdimensional
Mar 30, 2005
Abalama
I made 440rwhp @ only 11PSI with my GT40R/1.06 housing. I was roughly at 19 degrees timing, 93 octane.

The 1.06 really does fit that turbo perfect on a 3L motor. I looked into this turbo after hearing what Geoff at FullRace had to say about it for the 2J. He has already tried the smaller housings and says not to waste your time with them. Anyone looking into a GT40R should ask Geoff what he thought. He's actually done the tests.

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I ran a GT4088R for all of 80KM last fall before I blew a bead from a weld off the mani through it. It was real nice and smooth and quick to respond I felt anyways. I am running a 2jz though.

1 thing I would point out after my experience, which granted was in fact my fault not Garrett's is the cost of repairing a Garrett turbo is nearly the same a buying a brand new one outright.

And after further research I discovered that Turbonetic's (which use a Garrett cartridge anyways) have something on all their turbos call the "No Fault Warranty". After speaking with one of the Turbonetic's guys I was informed by him that I could essentially suck a rabbit through it under the warranty period and they would happily hand me a new or fully repaired one on their dime. Yes even the ball bearing models which of course the 4088r is.

The GT4088R does ship with a restriction fitting on the oil inlet side as well as a huge bright orange tag very loudly expressing how important it is to limit overall oil pressure into the turbo or seal damage will occur. 10AN return line to the pan is perfect and infact what Garrett also included on mine when new.

If I was to buy again new I would most certainly find the BB equivalent Turbonetic's unit rather than buying the Garrett unit. Since they are actually the same product re-badged by Turbonetics anyways. And although I have had my GT4088R repaired, again at a fairly high premium it seems I must send it back yet again as the repair isn't in my mind acceptable since the fin tips are not consistent in length. So although it is rebalanced properly I'm sure I have concerns about the surface area of each face on the turbine not consistently being driven by the exhaust at the same rate. I'm gonna post a thread with the repair and see what you guys think anyways. And ya, it was repaired at a fully authorized Garrett dealer and repair center in my city.

But the turbo itself is one of the most fun unit's I have yet had strapped into my car. Very responsive.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
danger%20to%20manifold.JPG
:p

2JZ_MA70

Aug 28, 2007
Cleveland
LOL that was funny. It sounds like you would like to have optimal spool. Get your self ( its pricy but well worth it.) Forced performance GT3582HTA or GT3586HTA.... 650-700 wheel power but way better spool... Lag is similar to stock but when it hits hold on to your pants...