For those of you with racing seats...

suprakid24

Turbo'd
Jan 6, 2007
Texas
www.cardomain.com
What kind of harness bar/harness do you use? I got 2 sparco torino seats for christmas, and have them installed with the stock seat belts. I hope to eventually get a harness bar and 2 harnesses, and I am just looking to see what is out there.

Thanks

Bigzavs

86.5 1JZ Single Turbo
Apr 21, 2005
Arlington, TX
a custom shop near me is going to make me one, pretty cheap too, bout $125

you might be able to find a shop to do it cheaper near you

where in texas are you?

eman2289

Noob..but not incompetent
Feb 23, 2007
Jersey
You can not use the stock belts unless you take the clip part off of the seat and bolt in into the trans tunnel. Im not sure if you meant you have them in already or not, just a bit of info.

suprakid24

Turbo'd
Jan 6, 2007
Texas
www.cardomain.com
eman2289 said:
You can not use the stock belts unless you take the clip part off of the seat and bolt in into the trans tunnel. Im not sure if you meant you have them in already or not, just a bit of info.

yea I already have them in with the stock seatbelts, just looking for other options.

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
i use g-force sfi belts.

point 1: i am not a fan of a harness bar. sure, atleast you have the belts mounted at the correct geometry. but the only bar ive seen that id trust in a crash is the one jon at mdc makes. the reason im not a big fan of them in general is because in a roll over crash wearing a harness you will get crushed.

point 2: get a 5pt harness. a 4pt has a chance of submarining in a crash.

point 3: a cam lock is a lot more friendly to use than a bar and latch. albeit they are more expensive.

88SupraT

Boosting Supra
Apr 4, 2005
North Vancouver, B.C.
A good place to go is MDC motorsports on here, he makes a really good harness bar and you have the ability to get some good CROW racing harnesses through him at the same time. I forget the exact pricing but it was a good price in my books so look MDC up.

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
Why not get a cage built with a harness bar installed in it. If you are trying to be safe in a crash, I would go all out and toss in at least a 6pt.

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
dbsupra90 said:
i use g-force sfi belts.

point 1: i am not a fan of a harness bar. sure, atleast you have the belts mounted at the correct geometry. but the only bar ive seen that id trust in a crash is the one jon at mdc makes. the reason im not a big fan of them in general is because in a roll over crash wearing a harness you will get crushed.

point 2: get a 5pt harness. a 4pt has a chance of submarining in a crash.

point 3: a cam lock is a lot more friendly to use than a bar and latch. albeit they are more expensive.

More info please, that sounds scary as hell. How is it going to crush you?

suprakid24

Turbo'd
Jan 6, 2007
Texas
www.cardomain.com
foreverpsycotic said:
Why not get a cage built with a harness bar installed in it. If you are trying to be safe in a crash, I would go all out and toss in at least a 6pt.

I don't want/need a full cage, I'm only interested in a harness bar so that I can use some harnesses eventually.

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
D34DC311 said:
More info please, that sounds scary as hell. How is it going to crush you?

with a harness, you are locked in and become one with the seat. in a roll over, your body cannot move and has nowhere to go. if the roof caves in its going to be on your head. if you had atleast a roll bar installed, it would prevent that from happening.

the stock belt system is designed in a way that during that type of crash your body can move towards the middle and not be crushed.

suprakid-

you do not have to have a full cage. you can get just a 4pt or 6pt roll bar. jon at mdc even sells the bolt in autopower so you wouldnt have to weld. it would be safer, help provide more stiffness in the chassis, and really not that much more expensive than a harness bar.

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
Down Like A Clown Charley Brown
suprakid24 said:
I don't want/need a full cage, I'm only interested in a harness bar so that I can use some harnesses eventually.

If you don't need a roll bar then you definitely don't need racing harnesses.

Wait till you need to back up or reach in the back seat or anything else that requires you to turn your body toward the back...can't do it with a harness.

Unless your running exclusively on the track, forget about a racing harness.

:icon_bigg