Fog light Shield removal ??

Twigger

Ahhh Yeah!!
Mar 30, 2005
OlyWA
Lets play can you find the Silverstars. Note that the fog lights displayed on the right side are completely stock. Special thanks to Mr D-B for taking these pictures and loaning his twin car

p654103_1.jpg

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
Down Like A Clown Charley Brown
KeithH said:
How are you judging that they are "still aimed low towards the ground"?

Removing the shield will not change that in any way. It will allow light to be shone upwards - in other drivers eyes.

With all due respect thats not true at all. I have had mine running without bafflels and with Sylvania Silverstar bulbs and never had a cop pull me over, or a complaint, or even had anyone flash their lights at me.

What's with all the "you'll kill somebody" hysteria? You get a little more light that's all. It doesn't change the angle of the light significantly upward, I know cause that's how mine are.

If you're gonna give advice have the courtesy to be sure of what you're saying, rather than shoot down somebody's idea without the facts.

Last edited:

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
Down Like A Clown Charley Brown
IJ. said:
Fog lights are meant to shine under the fog and NOT reflect back into the drivers eyes and this is why the have the shields.....

Jeez IJ, Didn't you read my thread? Don't trust me? ok...I swear It won't reflect back in your eyes because it doesn't change the upward angle of the light to any significant degree...so help me god I swear. LOL

:biglaugh:

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
...like I have and regret doing the mod

yes it DOES have upward angle, I'm gonna borrow my g/f's camera here soon to show you what I mean...

Twigger

Ahhh Yeah!!
Mar 30, 2005
OlyWA
What is all this talk of angling upwards, did anyone look at the picture I just posted?? My car is on the left and the level is exactly the same as the completly stock fog setup on the right. If you are worried about light shining back at you when it is foggy out, why dont you just turn your headlights off and let the fogs do all the work, maybe is that because they are not bright enough?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
The whole idea of foglights is that they cut under the fog and don't reflect back.....

You always turn the headlights off if it's foggy as you can't see shit with them on. (works for falling snow as well)

I guess the engineers that designed the lights just put the shields in there to piss people off...... :nono:

Twigger

Ahhh Yeah!!
Mar 30, 2005
OlyWA
Actually it is more of a legality issue as you legally cant have 4 head lights in most areas. So to get around that the manufactures place shields in them so they aren't not actually classified as a headlight. Seriously what percentage of fog light owners actually claim that their fog lights actually helped them out. Wouldn’t you think of it as more of a marketing or selling point rather than a necessity? From what I noticed when I went on a 1am country drive where the fog was so thick I had to drive 25 on the back country roads, the headlights were just as useful if not more than the stock fogs for driving through the fog. And I certainly would not just use the fog lights when driving through fog, it all depends on how your headlights are angled, if they are angled too far up then the light is going to reflect back up at you, this could be why it works better for some than others.

On a another note I am going to experiment with angling the fogs up enough to help the headlights more. And don’t try saying that I am going to blind some one, just look at the Silverstar headlights in the right of that picture. So KiethH, have you seen any actually comparisons on fog light modifications or are you just going by what you researched?

Twigger

Ahhh Yeah!!
Mar 30, 2005
OlyWA
If I was 5 feet further back then the main portion of the beam was on the ground. And actually we were far enough back to see that th stock lights on the right are slightly higher due to the fact that the car on the right has new tires and mine on the left are low on tread.

Last edited:

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
you have to be much farther back to notice anything

I can aim my headlights wherever I want and they'll look level at that distance

gotta get out to a flat area and really see where they really aim.

my fogs shine off the trees above the car when they're on because the blinder is removed. turn off the headlights and have just teh fogs on and then see what they do at farther distances...

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
When I first installed my H4 HID's one of my headlights had been replaced with a cheap JDM H4 housing that didn't have the shield I cut the one out of my second light so the beams would match not thinking it would make a difference as the HID Bulbs have reflectors....... WRONG!

The front of my car looked like a spaceship with a HUGE ball of light on it, when stopped at traffic lights people would sit and stare.

It would light up overhead freeway signs from 2 km's away ;)
(my HID's are 55watts)

Bought 2 new Aussie spec H4 lamps from Toyota and all is well now.

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
LOL "people would sit and stare"
Burning holes in their retinas.

By golly! You figured out how to turn humans into deer!