Fog Light Rewire Problem

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
I cannot remember how exactly I did mine, but IIRC all I did was connect one side(comb switch side) of the fog light switch to common ground, and left the other side connected to the relay. Then run switched power (tapped of the cig fuse) to the other side of the relay, which is normally powered from the headlamps. Makes the fog light switch a ground side switch for the relay, and leaves the entire loaded part of the fog lamp ckt alone.

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
SRZ: I strongly recommend listening to the advice provided. The "Idea" you provided IS set up for failure. The AutoZone kits aren't right just because they come that way, there's a reason that when I installed AZ fogs in my winter car I redid it all with a relay and larger gauge wiring.

As shaeff stated, stock lamps draw about 4.5a/ea. You may have installed a 30a fuse, but can the factory switch handle a 30a load should the opportunity arise?

If you want to do it the wrong way, nobody can stop you. But please... don't advise others to do it the wrong way as well.

Last edited:

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
Any ideas/guesses what I may have Fed up here? Gonna try and get back into it tonight/tomorrow.

Satan;1673963 said:
Found issue in some previous wiring work at the foglight switch. Red/Green was making contact with a Green wire at the switch... shorting things out. Everything now wired correctly/good, but still no fogs. Cig lighter is getting power, but fog light switch is not getting power. F/L relay not clicking so replaced and still no click. I'm assuming that the short damaged something but can't figure out what... Frustrated.

Edit: I did try another F/L switch also. Still no fogs.

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
The 87 mod is bad in that it defeats the fog fuse and transfers the entire lamp load to the tail light circuit. It also interlocks the fogs to the tails. If that's desired why not connect the fog relay to Intergration Relay #2 so you could still make use of the light auto-off function already built into the car? IR 2 is more local to the fog relay than the tail fuse (for key off) and connecting there would alleviate the need to even go into the left kick panel. Furthermore it would leave the fog circuit on it's proper fuse.

Or why not just skip that part of the mod altogether so the fogs can be run either with or without the tails and still have them go off with the key through the defogger feed? That approach is safer, also completely does away with messing around in the kick panel, and saves work. And while I'm at it tapping the cruise control feed would have been better. It's directly next to the fog switch on an 87 and has more appropriate fusing...

BUMP...

I'm having to re-take a look at my rewire work from 7 years ago... I am in disbelief of how simple this looks to be, to accomplish the mod (Canadian running lights). Basically keeping on the fog circuit, Canadian trim. What gives? Has anyone done this mod, by just re-pinning or changing the wires at the relay? Is there anything I'm missing?

Attachments

• FogLightMod.png
    FogLightMod.png
    272.9 KB · Views: 11

plaaya69

87T Supra
Nov 18, 2006
Lake County, IL
BUMP...

I'm having to re-take a look at my rewire work from 7 years ago... I am in disbelief of how simple this look to be, to accomplish the mod. What gives? Has anyone done this mod, by just re-pinning or changing the wires at the relay? Is there anything I'm missing?

I am running the yodaconnectors.com harness. It plugged into the body harness, fuse block and relay if that helps.

http://www.yotaconnectors.com/product-p/yc-suphar-pre89fog.htm