flaming has penalties

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
While hate and belligerency (sp?) is counterproductive to SM's growth and livelihood, what we're doing now is more productive than the hate was counterproductive.

Did that make sense?

The fact that we realized what was going on was getting out of control makes us much more productive and is why we are still here and are the "preferred" MK3 community. (preferred to most anyway... this is the only place I visit, so I want it to stay around for a long time)
Keep it up Shaeff. You have great intentions and a perserverence to make SM shine!!

:EDIT: LOL @ Ian.... Wish Granted!!!

Last edited:

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
The written word is often misunderstood and humour sometimes isn't international.

99.9% of the time I'm joking around and after a question has been answered correctly I'll totally derail a thread playing around calling names and taking jabs at friends here!

Under the Draconian 2 strikes and you're out I'd have been long gone and I don't think I should be punished for what is my normal behaviour.

I agree with Jakes assessment and feel someone should have stopped that before it got to the point where Noxide was making his generalisations about ALL SM members and well before he started the personal attacks.

siman

Lifetime Ban
Mar 31, 2005
Murfreesboro, TN
www.cardomain.com
You want to know how to get rid of arguing?

DELETE THE OFF TOPIC SECTION.

Ever since I have been banned from off topic, I have not had any problems with anyone.

To me the off topic section is a sespool to spill all your thoughts on anything and everthing. Of course each of us are different and think differently about certain things....

this starts arguing. The arguing spreads through threads outside of off topic because of personal dislikes about someone not thinking the way "you" do.

I am better than ever on this forum.

I remember the days when everyone was blaming me for every single problem in off topic.

Funny to see the problems STILL exist to this day even though my presences has not been seen in that devision of Supra Mania in half a year!

-Jonathan

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
IAN, i know when you're joking, and there's a difference between flaming and your sense of humor. all i'm asking, is that it (everyone's) not get out of control. i see your posts derailing threads, and they are humorous. when you take a jab at a friend, it's ok, because that friend understands.

but when new guys come here, they dont know anyone, and they dont know other's sense of humor, so it's mis-interpreted. it comes across as harsh. i'm sure after the new guys are more integrated into the community and know everyone well enough, they'll also know to take the jokes as jokes. know what i mean, homeslice?

edit: siman- deleting the OT section would cause more aggression in the supra-related forums, hence, forcing use to really crack down on everyone. i'm sure we dont want this to become another SF. we aren't nazi-mods here. there's a difference between keeping the peace, and sensoring people's posts. ;)

-shaeff :)

siman

Lifetime Ban
Mar 31, 2005
Murfreesboro, TN
www.cardomain.com
Understood Shaeff.

I am not on here all that much anymore only for the technical stuff.

Personally, I have not seen any flaming going on at all...I guess I just pass by it without giving it anymore thought?

I guess I will listen to you guys and understand it has gotten out of hand.

If there is something to be done. Do it.

-Jonathan

chevyeater

wastegate hose is pulled
Mar 30, 2005
Long Island, NY
Not that I post that much but, I'd like to get this straight. If someone asks for opinions on something I think is horrid, I shouldn't tell them so? That would be against the rules?

Joel W.

Just A Jedi
Nov 7, 2005
Washington
^^^ shaeff hit it...
shaeff said:
if someone asks your opinion (you being the forum), tell them honestly, but you dont have to say something like: "that looks like complete ass and i think we should jointly buy your car from you and set it on fire then drive it off a cliff". there's no need for that. a simple: "not my style" would suffice. see what i mean?-shaeff

chevyeater

wastegate hose is pulled
Mar 30, 2005
Long Island, NY
joel w. said:
^^^ shaeff hit it...

If my opinion is that it should be set on fire and pushed off a cliff, and they asked for my opinion...

I'm used to speaking my mind, polite be damned, as this is my right as an American. If someone needs to get flipped off, I don't hesitate IRL, why should I here? Personal attacks are one thing but, responding honestly to a post is what makes this a decent forum. Should we start fluffing the responses in tech too? "Aw, nah, running 4 quarts low on oil didn't cause your problem friend. That gosh darned 7M is just such a bad design you should just go 1JZ and then we can all have a picnic!" Then we can all look in the mirror and say "I'm good enough, I'm smart enough and gosh darn it, people like me!"

It just strikes me as a bit Orwellian to be legislating manners. Some people get :flamed: that's life. I've actually grown to respect Lam for sticking around and doing his own thing despite what people say to him, he can handle it. If you don't want to know what people think, you shouldn't ask though...

Rules and moderators are here to keep it from getting personal "Oh yeah, well your mom is such a whore she could suck start a Harley" and making sure things are on topic i.e. no "What color should I paint my new wing?" posts in the tech section. Not to make sure all the posts are Nerf protected to not hurt anyones self esteem.

Joel W.

Just A Jedi
Nov 7, 2005
Washington
it may be your right as an american to be rude to people, yes,, but aparently this forum here has rules, and yes, I think you have the right to break the rules if you so want to. we all have this right. but be prepared to face the ban music...

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
chevyeater said:
If my opinion is that it should be set on fire and pushed off a cliff, and they asked for my opinion...

I'm used to speaking my mind, polite be damned, as this is my right as an American. If someone needs to get flipped off, I don't hesitate IRL, why should I here? Personal attacks are one thing but, responding honestly to a post is what makes this a decent forum. Should we start fluffing the responses in tech too? "Aw, nah, running 4 quarts low on oil didn't cause your problem friend. That gosh darned 7M is just such a bad design you should just go 1JZ and then we can all have a picnic!" Then we can all look in the mirror and say "I'm good enough, I'm smart enough and gosh darn it, people like me!"

It just strikes me as a bit Orwellian to be legislating manners. Some people get :flamed: that's life. I've actually grown to respect Lam for sticking around and doing his own thing despite what people say to him, he can handle it. If you don't want to know what people think, you shouldn't ask though...

Rules and moderators are here to keep it from getting personal "Oh yeah, well your mom is such a whore she could suck start a Harley" and making sure things are on topic i.e. no "What color should I paint my new wing?" posts in the tech section. Not to make sure all the posts are Nerf protected to not hurt anyones self esteem.

^^^actually, I think chevy hit it.... that's perfect. I agree wholeheartedly at the entire post. I'm gonna print it out and frame it. heh

I feel the same way towards Lam due to his resillience.
LOL @ the 1JZ comment, for real! :rofl:

and...

Then we can all look in the mirror and say "I'm good enough, I'm smart enough and gosh darn it, people like me!"
mirror.jpg

:D

Draken

Jan 8, 2006
michigan
i agree 100%, there is no reason to flame people, it does drive of a lot of people, i know, i post here very little, i come here to read the tech stuff, check the for sale stuff to find small parts i need here and there, and to check out others rides....but if i think it looks like trash, i don't see a reason to blast them because thats their personal taste....i can either say something like not my style, but what ever you like....or its not my ride...or what ever fits, doesn't have to be a flame, and if you think you are about to flame someone, just don't say it

KeithH

Mar 31, 2005
Portland, OR
I'll make a simple example of real life here and let the rest of you guys figure it out:

If you go to Disneyland - yes, the one right here in the good ole US of A - you will have to follow certain rules. If you wear a shirt to Disneyland that is not appropriate you will be given the option of A) turning it inside out or B) not entering the park. I used to work there so yes I have seen this happen - even though it is in America.

This site has rules. It doesn't matter if one of the rules is you must have a mullet to post here. If you want to participate you must follow those rules.

Let's have a little class when we come here.

You don't have to like everything but "constructive criticism" is way better than simply saying something sucks.

Another example:

Someone posted "Vegas Sucks" a while back. I approached that person directly, privately, via pm to get more information - so I can try to fix the problem for the next event. The response I got actually made me laugh. Their reason that "Vegas Sucks" was because they "had to park next to a Honda at the drags." I actually had to print that one out and hang it on my wall. Constructive? No! Dumb@$$? Yes!

Think before you type. You might be making yourself look like an ID10T.

Dziuggy

eurotrash
Mar 31, 2005
san francisco, ca
dziuggy.com
here is my honest opinion. if i think some one is destroying the supra i will tell them, and i will also tell them in their face in the meet (as someone way implying that it is easy to talk/flame on the forums).

big problem i see is that people who get flamed all the time is the reason for it. for some reason i am missing lots of older mk3 enthusiasts over here because above described people are spamming forums with useless stupid threads. so outcome is simple they get flamed for that. also if we let them do that, forum becomes hard to use. the above mentioned noxidious guy joined the forums and got 160+ posts in week and a half. just go and looks at all the threads he created or replied to, most of them are reposts and or posted in the wrong section. go look for a single reply of his that was informative and helped these forums in any way i don’t believe hid did that so as a consequence he is getting flamed.

i have been here from the opening and this forum helped me a lot, but at this point all i see is noobs asking same questions for 10000000xxx time (like can you put 89+ tails on older car). again imho that is just spamming and does not contribute to these forums at all. so if you go ahead and let these things to keep on happening you might as well find that real discussion will move to mk3tech.com of some place like that where you actually can find interesting and informative posts and here is becoming like SF where one out of 20 topics are interesting/informative).

there was a thread by pioneer about moderating sm, and looked like we might agree on something to change, but that was just the waste of space i guess flaming is out of hand and useful information is nowhere to be found and old mk3 guys are leaving us. if the trend continues we might find sm becoming another ricer (will i beat this car/ how much hp my car has) forum.

maybe i am old school or something but if some one gets jumped on for what they did to the supra usually there is very good reason for it. so you can ban all the regulars for hating on noob that fucked up the car and have noob only forums or you can delete useless spam/repost threads by noobs and the would prevent the clash between two. (i.e. repost should be locked right away by section moderator or it will be getting repost replies and flaming) so it is always easier to threaten with THE BAN stick than get to the roots of the problem.

chevyeater

wastegate hose is pulled
Mar 30, 2005
Long Island, NY
KeithH said:
If you go to Disneyland - yes, the one right here in the good ole US of A - you will have to follow certain rules. If you wear a shirt to Disneyland that is not appropriate you will be given the option of A) turning it inside out or B) not entering the park. I used to work there so yes I have seen this happen - even though it is in America.

Wearing a "Fuck you" t-shirt to disneyland is a little different than telling someone thier car is a flaming dung heap after they ask your opinion of it.

I have to wear a shirt and shoes when I go into McDonalds, I can deal with that. If I had to tell them to have a nice day after they screwed up my order again, I'd probably stop going there.

BTW, where are these forum rules everyone is talking about posted? All I can find are the off topic rules.

moorman

Not a Lurker, Voyeuristic
May 17, 2005
San Diego, CA
members.provalue.net
Freedom and discretion rarely coexist on an internet forum. Freedom is usually the excuse to abandon discretion (or more usually the cover for already having abandoned it). Very much an "I can, so I will" mentality.

We all have the freedom to write whatever we want and Shaeff has the freedom to delete it. This isn't a government-controlled forum, so I don't understand the moral dilemma.

Right now, I'm thinking about my freedom to tell my boss what I think of him and his business practices in non-discretionary terms.......anyone want to guess what the outcome might be? ;)

Last edited: