First signs and ways to tell if you have rod knock??

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Skeezix;1832761 said:
Haha yeah,it wasn't built for that. Building it different this time lol. Got the build specs on that motor? :icon_wink

Brand new GTE block

7M Niterided Lightened Crank

+40 thou Triple coated JE Forged Pistons

Pauter Rods

ARP Main studs

New GTE pump

GrpA Magnesium Pan
Canton Remote Filter adaptor
Canton Remote Filter mount

HKS Stopper 2 mm MHG

NDC Rod Bearings
NDC Main Bearings

B&M Oil cooler
B&M T Stat
Moroso 3Qt ACCUSUMP

ATI Super Damper
Aluminium engine pullies

Wade Cams .351"/9mm lift
280 degrees duration 226 @ 50thou

+1mm Ferrea Valves
Ferrea Valve Springs
Ferrea Titanium Valve Spring Retainers
Ferrea Valve Seat Locators
Shimless buckets
Brand new ported head

2 x Aeromotive Tsunami pumps
Aeromotive AFPR
2 x Bosch MS filters
2 x -6 fuel lines
1000cc RC p&h Injectors
115 litre "IJ" tank
"IJ" Multipoint methanol injection

AEM cam gears
Gates Timing Belt
ARP head studs

T04z 800hp roller turbo
Tial v44 WG
3.0" Aluminium Hardpipes
Turbosmart 32mm Bov's x 2
600x300x100 air to air IC

PWR Radiator
DC Electric water pump

321 Stainless Ceramic coated Header

New design "IJ" FFI intake manifold

"IJ" DBW 68mm TB

3.5" Mandrel bend Dump pipe
3.5" Metal Cat
2 x 2.5" Mandrel bend Stainless pipes
2 x 2.5" Stainless Mufflers
1 x "IJ" Muffler

Bosch coils x6
2x M&W 3 channel ignitors

MoTeC ECU
MoTeC DBW4
MoTeC 2 axis G sensor
MoTeC EGT
MoTeC wb02

NGK PowerDex wb02

55watt 5000k HID lights

Built a340e
PCS Trans controller
2800 rpm Hi-stall TC
B&M Fan cooler
DCraig cooler
Full electronic valve body

Strange Nodular Iron 9" case
3.5:1 Motive Gears
3.5 Trutrac 9" Diff
Custom "IJ" 9" housing

Custom Axles
GroupA V8 CV joints
Custom Stub axles
Diff cooler and pump

Full Strange Engineering Driveshaft

Mk4 TT DBA Rotors F&R
AP Racing 4 piston callipers
SS Goodridge lines

Koni Yellow Coilovers
Eibach Springs

Whiteline Swaybars
Full Poly Urethane bushes
SS Lower Control arms

18" x 9" HR109 rims f&r
265/35/18 452 Falken tires front
285/35/18 452 Falken tires rear

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
I always look at your part list Ian and in moments i'm left with my Jaw wide open. Would you happen to have a finished photo of the 7M

Just got my spare block and head out of storage today.

Going to start taking it apart soon and ordering rods/pistons and bearings in about 2 weeks it will be my first engine build pretty excited but honestly have no idea on deciding what i need and witch route to go with most things.

I don't have a set goal in mind but i do know for now i want something that will handle 550-600whp

I'm not going to cheap out on stuff and the build can take 2years if that's how long it takes to come up with the funds.

A few questions i have is how to know what size pistons and bearings to go with ?

What how to come up with specs for porting the head and what size valves to go with.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
gas13.jpg

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
Gorgeous

Quick side note question on CODE 52 will the code through if you have rod knock or is it just for a short circuit ? i've just been reading a bunch of post and i'm not 100 % sure on how this code works.

Skeezix

Supradope
Dec 30, 2009
Regina, SK
Damn, gonna have to log that away and save up lol. I have another block and head that I want to do up over the years. Right now I'm just thinking of fortifying what I have now with some forged rods, better cooler, eliminate stock filter head, metal head gasket. Just to where I can reliably run around 300 hp until the other motor is ready for 700....:sarcasm:

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
300 is a very possible and easy to make.

I drove my car tonight about 30min ago for the first time in 2days and it ran perfect no wired noises while driving still running pretty rich and at 17psi it felt so strong and fast definitely worth the heart ache this car causes :)

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
Turbo Habanero;1832819 said:
300 is a very possible and easy to make.

I drove my car tonight about 30min ago for the first time in 2days and it ran perfect no wired noises while driving still running pretty rich and at 17psi it felt so strong and fast definitely worth the heart ache this car causes :)

:nono: You're going to push this till it explodes....

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
IJ.;1832825 said:
:nono: You're going to push this till it explodes....

That's kind of the plan :) it will get me working on the other motor faster.

It was at 10.9 4-5k and 10.5 by redline. But it honestly still sounds great I have the timing at 8degrees

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
IJ.;1832831 said:
Don't think it's better to sell it unexploded then drop the $$$ into the new engine?

Your right but i don't think i want to sell it. If i don't send a rod through the block i might build it on the side after i finish my first... Just in case. :)

Although if the knocking shows up while in load or even gets to the point where i know it's rod knock in every shape and form no question about it then ill just pull it and tear it down.

I still want to buy a Maft Pro setup sense they have been going dirt cheap around here and give that a shot maybe put it on a dyno with a mild street tune just to see what kind of power i made before i move on from the CT26

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
Why destroy more than you need to, not to mention parts for these motors and cars are getting more and more harder to find.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
Dan in the for sale section.

I've seen 2 going for $450 usd and one going for $300usd in the past month.

All had everything to run speed density

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Turbo Habanero;1832796 said:
Gorgeous

Quick side note question on CODE 52 will the code through if you have rod knock or is it just for a short circuit ? i've just been reading a bunch of post and i'm not 100 % sure on how this code works.

Will not get a code 52 from knock. It's a short circuit/electrical problem in the knock sensing circuit only. (wiring, sensor(s), ECU- in that order)

arknotts

formerly ark86
Jan 9, 2008
Ohio
FWIW my engine made the same noise as that (from what I can tell in the video). During the tear down this winter all of my rod and main bearings looked good (not perfect but definitely not knocking). My noise seemed to be coming from the rear/bottom of the engine. Flywheel bolts were tight too. So I'm stumped on what my noise was.

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Weatherford, Texas, United States
For Pete's sake do not go out and ruin your engine on purpose with the mentality of "Oh it will motivate me to build my other one quicker". It's just plain retarded. Dont' be that guy! :biglaugh:

I looked at a supra a while back with intermittent knocking sounds. The turbo was about to go to pieces. There was so much shaft play it was bouncing all over the place at idle then would shut up while driving it. It still boosted too. Just a thought. You might check yours.

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
I have had the same type of knock for years, never did figure it out and i've pulled the engine several times and torn it down to the block (for other reasons, blown front plate seal...terrible to do)