HKS SSQV Blow Off Valve
K&N Intake
Custom 3in Exhaust
BLOX MBC
SPEC Lightweight Flywheel
SPEC Pressure Plate
ACT 6 Puck Clutch Disc
ARP Flywheel Bolts

So I got everything put together yesterday and tried to crank it up and it wont start. I'm getting fuel and spark. I'm thinking maybe the timing or something is off. I dont know. So here is my check list of trouble shoots for today....

Jump the diagnostic box (the 2 pins for the check engine light)
Relieve any cylinder vapors (remove spark plugs, remove efi fuse, and crank the motor)
Re-check spark plug wire order (163425)
Adjust timing at the CPS
Maybe see if injectors are possibly in wrong spots??

Any other suggestions?

jstricker

Sep 10, 2010
Kansas
Back to basics time.

An engine needs 4 things to run.

Air
Fuel
Compression
Spark at the correct time

If you have all four it WILL at least try to run, perhaps not well, but it will try.

You're on the right track to checking the basics. You should run a compression test on any one cylinder (doesn't matter which one). This will tell you if you have good compression and if not, what it is. If you have some compression, but it's poor, you probably have the cams out of time. It happens to the best of us from time to time.

Recheck your firing order but if it's wrong it will also try to run but perhaps backfire and run like crap.

Personally, I'd start over. Get the engine up to TDC on compression and pull your front timing pulley cover off so that you can verify that your cams are in proper time. If they are, reset your CPS since you have to do it at the same point.

How do you know you're getting fuel? Which injector goes in which hole matters not. The 7M has the injectors wired in 3 banks of two and while they need to be right to be honest if the cold start injector is working and it's spraying at all out of the port injectors the engine will try to run.

Be certain you have spark at the plugs. A spark tester or spare plug will work fine, just hook it up in place of one of the plugs so you can see it. If you have a nice fat spark that's one thing less to worry about. I check the circuit to the injectors with a noid light. If you don't have one a test light will work. Remember the computer switches the ground on and off, not the hot, so connect the light to the positive battery terminal and put the other end in the non-hot terminal of the injector clip and crank it over. Test or noid light blinks, you're getting fire to the injectors. Check your fuel pressure. If your injectors are firing and you have good fuel pressure you're putting fuel into the intake ports. Now you have two less things to worry about.

All that's left is compression and timing of the spark.

If it won't run, won't even TRY to run, you are lacking one of those four things, figure out which one it is.

Good luck.

John Stricker
Russell, KS

suprastroker88

Supra Tuner
Jul 16, 2008
Bay Area, CA
ok so i got out there this morning to try to get this thing to run and still no luck.

the cps is installed correct
i jumped the diagnostic box
i relieved cylinder vapors
i re-checked my spark plug wires
i switch the injectors around thinking maybe i got them mixed up somehow.
i re-checked my timing

still no luck

i did run the codes for my check engine light and i got codes 32 and 51

I'm going to do a compression check next

suprastroker88

Supra Tuner
Jul 16, 2008
Bay Area, CA
Not yet. To be honest. Im really thinking it's a fuel issue somewhere. But I did take the TPS off while the motor was out so maybe something got messed up on it or somethin. I don't know. I'm still kind of a noobie at this

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
If you think its fuel, try spraying some starting fluid into the throttle body and see if it pops off. Not too much, just a little squirt!

jstricker

Sep 10, 2010
Kansas
suprastroker88;1702538 said:
is there a certain way to wire up the injector clips? like is there a positive and negative? i got these used so there were no instruction or anything

No, it doesn't matter. It is in essence a simple switch for fuel.

Don't waste anymore time by guessing and running codes. Pull a plug and verify that you have fire. If you do, check to make sure you have fuel pressure and that your injectors are getting the signal to fire. Check your compression if both of the first two things check out. It's not the J tube unless it's completely plugged up and flooding in which case you should smell lots and lots of fuel. It's probably not the injectors themselves.

You haven't really said what it's trying to do. Nothing? No pops, backfires, nothing? Is it trying to start but just can't make it? More information would be helpful. See my first post, do those tests, figure out what's wrong, don't troubleshoot like you're throwing darts at a dartboard.

John Stricker
Russell, KS

wiseco7mgt

dirty mechanic
Aug 12, 2007
queensland
Did you install the engine? did you double check all your wires such as to the cps, coil pack and double check your grounds as well. Did the engine originally come out of this car? or is this being put in something else? Double check all your connections first before pulling anything apart.

suprastroker88

Supra Tuner
Jul 16, 2008
Bay Area, CA
My buddy Dave (thedave925) helped me with this project. He helped me rebuild and install it. I did most of the plugging things in and all that after he helped me get the engine back in. He is going to stop by at some time when he gets a chance.

it sounds like its trying to start but it just cant make it. no popping or back-firing.

I will try to go and check for spark. As I said before, I'm still a noobie so this is a learning process for me. It's the first engine I've built myself. Dave just lead me in the right direction and corrected any of my mistakes

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
1) Have someone crank your engine while you pull out a spark plug wire. Hold it against the intake manifold, you should see a spark when cranking. If you don't, you are not getting spark. Try another wire just to be sure.

2) When you key on your ignition, look at your AFPR to see if the line is being primed. If you pull a spark plug out, you can see if the plugs are wet and if they have gas on them.

3) Compression should also be checked. When your crank pulley is at zero, are all the cam and crank marks lined up correctly?

HAC or TPS sensor will not stop your car from starting.

I believe you are not getting spark due to your CPS. It can be installed correctly and still not send a signal for spark. Go to Harbor Freight and by a pulse tester. You can plug the test light into an injector plug, crank and see if it lights up and you will know if you have pulse. Pulse indicates that the computer is firing the injector to send fuel. You should have the pulse and spark tester, it will help a lot in identifing issues.

gsxr141

Oct 24, 2010
rochester
suprastroker88;1702514 said:
ok so i got out there this morning to try to get this thing to run and still no luck.

the cps is installed correct
i jumped the diagnostic box
i relieved cylinder vapors
i re-checked my spark plug wires
i switch the injectors around thinking maybe i got them mixed up somehow.
i re-checked my timing

still no luck

i did run the codes for my check engine light and i got codes 32 and 51

I'm going to do a compression check next

How are you pulling codes without the engine running? I read that it had to start in order to pull codes. I'm assuming that i'm wrong after reading through the thread.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
I say this in every single "it won't start " thread:
It's the CPS...Ok- I'm not always right, but I usually am. :)
You say it's installed correctly- how did you come by this certainty?
Do as Iboughtasupra says- check injectors and spark. However- If that does not solve the issue, try this:

Remove the bolt that holds in the cps; turn the cps about halfway beyond the normal adjustment range(and by halfway, I mean ~15 degrees), both clockwise and counterclockwise, trying to start it each time. If it suddenly sounds better, or actually runs, that means your cps is indeed off by one tooth.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
- Remove all the spark plugs and timing belt.
- Put a 12" wooden dowel in the #1 spark plug hole.
- Turn crank damper till wood dowel peaks out at max height. The damper index should point at zero - if not, the damper is FUBAR.
- Assuming damper is good, both cam gear should be aligned with the "V" on the back plate. The cam pins should be inserted in the gear center hole.
- With the damper index and both cam index aligned, the CPS should look like this:

CPS Align.jpg

If any of the above has not been done, or is not exactly as I said, base valve timing is not set.