First engine build

suprarenz

Mar 3, 2008
nj
Building my first 7m-gte engine and its going to be awhile. Used moly grease on bottom end, will be about 2+ yrs before i'm finished. Confused about what to do about piston and cylinders for long term storage don't want rust to ruin the party.What should be used for a storage period of a least 2yrs to keep cylinders good?????? This is one of many cries for help!!!!!!!! Calling all experts!!!!!! Tried searching for engine storage to no avale.

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
Couldn't you coat the walls in assembly lube? It'll smoke a little when you eventually start it but would help fight the cancer problem. I'm sure there's a better way than this though.

suprarenz

Mar 3, 2008
nj
Thats what i thought about the assembly lube but wasn't really sure if it was ok. I'm still digging for a good ans. wd-40 is what i have on cylinders right now as i go through process of cutting piston rings. Thanks and keep it coming!!!!

suprarich

Nov 9, 2005
ohio
The simple answer is to not assemble the motor at all. Wait for when you are able to do all the work at once.

suprarenz

Mar 3, 2008
nj
Suprarich thanks for simple answer, but unfortunately real estate in garage is at a premium. Sharing it with wife and kids and u know how kids treat things that are not theirs when looking for things. They throw things here and there but when asked, they didn't do it. So as it goes i have to keep everything together in a small little pile and fight for whatever space i can get.

suprarich

Nov 9, 2005
ohio
I would still bag everything and wait until later. Save everything until you can assemble it all at once, wash everything, assemble it.

suprarenz

Mar 3, 2008
nj
Just finished putting all rings on pistons, will oil them up and install them after rewashing the cylinders in block. I had block bagged don't know how they got dust in them , but oh well. The head will go on next oil pan and then bagged for future assembly.