First car

supralover2

Jul 3, 2011
Lafayette,IN
hey guys im looking for first cars my uncle said he would give me his 00 camaro Z28 manual plz help should take that and if you say no say what i should get and no civics thanks

-Jayton

S.A. supra

Feb 15, 2009
Buda, Texas
Not being sarcastic either. I see a lot of guys in here ask if a supra is a good first car. And just about everyone would answer not only no but hell no. Ask camaro guys and see what they have to say.

89Slowpra

Mar 31, 2011
Pocono Lake, PA
A reliable auto N/A supra. Reliable as in rebuilt by a professional.. don't jump in a high HP vehicle thinking you're Ricky Bobby from the getgo and you'll do just fine. Get used to it and learn as you go dude. When you're ready swap it out or go a different direction. If you're on a supra forum than you obviously want one, and will probably get one anyways. My first car was an SR 240 that I knew nothing about or how to work my way around the bay. One problem led to another and my pockets paid for it. Be smart and do your homework, learn from peoples mistakes and you'll be go-fast in no time!

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
I disagree with the above. I bought a BPU car with a 60-1 for my first real car. Made almost 400rwhp, broke constantly. I learned two things real quick, the value of a dollar and how to fix absolutely anything.

For what it's worth, take the Camaro.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Sigh...

First a supra and now a car that has more power and worse handling...

You're not going to listen either way, do what you want at this point and just hope when you're in a situation where the car is too much for your skills that there's nothing to crash into...

Spaniard

Banned
Oct 21, 2005
La pearla PR
I say let the kid have a supra. It's going to get trashed anyways. the value and rarity on mine goes up for having one less MKIII out on the road with a 16 year old kid racing a civic from stop light to stop light.

Wayzhack

Jun 22, 2010
Twin Cities, MN
Get a 5spd Celica!
Good to learn manual on, good on gas, run to 250k easy, only common problems are drive axles and power steering leaks.
Theyre pretty fun, still look nice, and if you want speed you can swap in a 3s...
All in all they are good cheap cars that run well. They are the cousin to the supra after all!

supralover2

Jul 3, 2011
Lafayette,IN
Poodles;1738261 said:
Sigh...

You're not going to listen either way, do what you want at this point and just hope when you're in a situation where the car is too much for your skills that there's nothing to crash into...
sorry if im seeing like a troll i just dont want a damn civic or a miata

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
supralover2;1740302 said:
sorry if im seeing like a troll i just dont want a damn civic or a miata

It's not the car you're going to have for the rest of your life, it's a car to LEARN on. I was lucky and had this:

p1740342_1.jpg

Overbuilt, underpowered, and unkillable. Should have never sold it...

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
As a former Camaro (01 Black SS, 6 speed) I can say this much: They're a lot of fun, but handle like crap, drink gas, and never quite run 'right'. They're hard to kill all the way, but all in all... if you're getting it for free, why the hell not? Just be careful, Z28's only had 245's from the factory, and my SS *never* had a problem lighting up the 275's on it, in any of the first 3 or 4 gears. Disconnect the Y-pipe, pull off the T-tops, grab a Journey CD, and go blow your ear drums out. It's good ol' all-American FUN. That said, I fucking hated *living* with that car.

supralover2

Jul 3, 2011
Lafayette,IN
Poodles;1738261 said:
Sigh...

sorry if im being a troll

supralover2

Jul 3, 2011
Lafayette,IN
Poodles;1740342 said:
It's not the car you're going to have for the rest of your life, it's a car to LEARN on. I was lucky and had this:

p1740391_1.jpg

Overbuilt, underpowered, and unkillable. Should have never sold it...
thats amazing i would get a s10 manual what u think

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Depends on the year and engine.

Only drawback to the truck was it only seated 2 :(

I'd still recommend a toyota truck over a chevy though.

S.A. supra

Feb 15, 2009
Buda, Texas
Wayzhack;1739107 said:
Get a 5spd Celica!
Good to learn manual on, good on gas, run to 250k easy, only common problems are drive axles and power steering leaks.
Theyre pretty fun, still look nice, and if you want speed you can swap in a 3s...
All in all they are good cheap cars that run well. They are the cousin to the supra after all!

I've had two and loved those little simple cars.