First 2 weeks of MKIII ownership have sucked.

Dingoboy

Dec 25, 2009
Tampa, FL
So I thought that getting pulled over for a non-OEM looking exhaust (HKS Drager) on my 3rd day with my "new to me" '92 1JZ was an inauspicious start. But on Day 12, it got worse... the following is mostly copied & pasted from a MINI Cooper forum I frequent...

I had put the Supra in the garage on Friday & was going to drive my Mazdaspeed3 for a few weeks. But Tuesday was Bay Area MINIs (local MINI Cooper club, of which I am still a member) @ Rose and Crown Pub, so I decided to drag the Supra out for its first BAM meeting. Driving up Ashley Street onto 275 South, you don't have to merge right away, as the lane you're in continues for about a mile before it becomes an exit only for Howard/Armenia Ave. But cars are always merging in both directions, left and right, to get into or out of the exit only lane. I watch like a hawk, because I expect someone to pull out in front of me without warning.

The car directly in front of me suddenly darts left into a narrow space in front of a dump truck, and I want no part of that nonsense. There's a 1/4 mile of open lane in front fo me, so I go on ahead. I signal left to merge in, hoping someone will gimme a break, and as I slow down & prepare to check my mirrors & look back, I feel a vibration & hear a nasty grinding sound.

The farking dump truck I just passed by several car lengths came up from behind me & decided to change lanes. INTO my Supra. I was abso-freaking-lutey stunned. His right front tire/fender crunched my left rear wheel/fender. Helluva a spot to have to pull over, too, on 275 in rush hour traffic.

And wouldn't you know it, the dump truck driver is Mexican and speaks pretty much zero English. Which is great, since I speak about half a dozen sentences of Spanish. He immediately hands me his license & doesn't even ask for mine. I write down my license & insurance info for him anyhow, and ask for his insurance. He protests with "8 a.m. Dale Mabry. 5 minute." After a protracted game of charades on the interstate, I get that he's trying to avoid insurance claims & have me visit his buddy's shop on Dale Mabry at 8 a.m. & he'll pay cash to fix it. Thinks it'll take 5 minutes, making the standard "wax on, wax off" motion to indicate "that'll buff out."

But that won't buff out. He scraped it down to bare freaking metal, and dented & creased the sheet metal. Plus, the wheel will need to be repainted, and there's a body moulding that got shredded. This is gonna be a grand by the time any reputable shop gets done with it, and I am not visiting his buddy on Dale Mabry.

So I show him my insurance card and tell him I need to see his. I could see the defeat in his eyes as he returned to the truck & grabbed his insurance card. I'm betting he's gonna lose his job over this, and that's why he was so desperate for me not to file a claim. But frankly, if he's so blind or inattentive that he runs into me from behind, he needs to find a new career that doesn't involve motor vehicle operation- much less heavy equipment operation.

Anyhow... the damage... all things considered, dump truck vs. Supra, I am very lucky the damage wasn't far more extensive...

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Now, granted, the car needed a paint job anyhow, and I had just gotten an estimate from Luis at Glimpse Auto Body. So it seems a waste to paint anything now, since I am saving for a proper full respray in the next 6 months or so. But the moulding and wheel need fixin'. I'm going to call his employer in the morning & see how they'd like to proceed.

*I did call his employer in the morning, and they were very cordial about the whole mess. They're sending their "Safety Manager" to meet me near my office at 7 a.m. as leave work this morning. He wants a look & some pics, then I'll get estimates & he'll decide if he wants to handle it from petty cash or file with his insurance.

What sucks most is that I have a laundry list of items that I need or want to fix or upgrade on this car, and this is just gonna slow down the process.

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
so much for "cum 2 Flor1da, we dontz has teh emishuns!!"

doesn't mean shit when you can't even change a muffler....

sorry to hear about your whole ordeal...

Dingoboy

Dec 25, 2009
Tampa, FL
Depending on how you interpret the FL statutes, yeah- only OEM or OEM equivalent are technically legal. But nobody EVER gets hassled about it. I'm just lucky like that. I did not, however, get cited. Verbal warning.

The only people I know who have gotten exhaust tickets were pulled over for moving violations first. And then they were cited for running no cats, etc. Not just "doesn't look OEM."

Dingoboy

Dec 25, 2009
Tampa, FL
Met with the trucking company's rep this morning. Sounds as though they're ready to cut me a check once I get a few estimates, no hassles. The guy even offered to hand deliver the check to me near my office. That floored me.

Got estimates lined up for tomorrow morning after work. (I work overnight)

honestabe

Happy as hell :D
Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
Well if the guy is going to give you cash, and the Supra needs a repaint anyways, sounds like you just got a good chunk of your repaint money. I agree, the driver does need to find another carreer. It sucks to hear about your luck bro, but atleast there is a bright side to the whole mess.

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
Good luck, sounds like it should go better from here on out for you. At least the company isn't being flaky about the situation.

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
Luck, lucky, and luckier.

Luck that you didn't get hurt, lucky no one else got hurt, and luckier to come out with some cash and only a couple of scrapes.

Sounds like an agreeable circumstance!

Guyana00

Droppin that JZ in soon!
Apr 18, 2007
Brampton, ON
RazoE;1490321 said:
so much for "cum 2 Flor1da, we dontz has teh emishuns!!"

doesn't mean shit when you can't even change a muffler....

sorry to hear about your whole ordeal...

No emissions for me either :D

I do agree though, turns out it might actually work out better than you started with minimal hassle in the end. I'd be taking advantage of that too ;)

Dingoboy

Dec 25, 2009
Tampa, FL
Keros;1490664 said:
Luck, lucky, and luckier.

Luck that you didn't get hurt, lucky no one else got hurt, and luckier to come out with some cash and only a couple of scrapes.

Sounds like an agreeable circumstance!

This is precisely how I'm trying to view the whole mess. It's just frustrating to have this sort of thing happen.

staticpage

Banned: Scammer, liar, cheat and thief
Oct 3, 2007
Cincinnati
holey crap you could be still under that truck if you where not lucky.
take the money and run it's not really "taking advantage"

S.A. supra

Feb 15, 2009
Buda, Texas
Dingoboy;1490826 said:
This is precisely how I'm trying to view the whole mess. It's just frustrating to have this sort of thing happen.

Get use to it!!!!! It's called life!!!!!shit happens and you move on. Not all rainbows and butterflies. Wow i wonder what your gonna do when something really bad happens to you. Never wallow is self-pity.

Dingoboy

Dec 25, 2009
Tampa, FL
S.A. supra;1490998 said:
Get use to it!!!!! It's called life!!!!!shit happens and you move on. Not all rainbows and butterflies. Wow i wonder what your gonna do when something really bad happens to you. Never wallow is self-pity.

Jesus, you're a self-righteous prick, aren't you? All I said was that it pissed me off. When your car gets hit, do you hug the other driver & throw a freaking party?

Nobody here is wallowing in self pity, bud. I've been through plenty of "really bad" in my life, and I handle it all, no problem. Doesn't mean I'm not allowed to feel frustrated about things from time to time. It's called being human. Try it sometime.

S.A. supra

Feb 15, 2009
Buda, Texas
S.A. supra;1490998 said:

Dingoboy;1491017 said:
Jesus, you're a self-righteous prick, aren't you? All I said was that it pissed me off. When your car gets hit, do you hug the other driver & throw a freaking party?

Nobody here is wallowing in self pity, bud. I've been through plenty of "really bad" in my life, and I handle it all, no problem. Doesn't mean I'm not allowed to feel frustrated about things from time to time. It's called being human. Try it sometime.

I guess? I didn't say anything that I wouldn't tell own kids. Take it as you will.

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
Dingoboy;1490826 said:

Well I personally think you're handling this is a adult manner. The way I am about my cars I don't know if I would have acted so calm. I am going to guess to have this DONE right around 900-1500 to have ti done, that trim piece is that salvageable?

Center cap will be around 35.00 or more too.