Finished my Rear Rhinoliner Project (pics)

Jspec7m88

Dec 3, 2005
Nappy City
Well, I've had the kit and all the necessities to do this for about a year now and never got around to it...and since I had decided to gut out my car...and having the minor leaks that I do, I was starting to get some surface rust that was starting to dig deeper and deeper, so I started.

First off, from the pictures, the bedliner that I laid down looks HORRIBLE in the pictures, not sure why, but after finishing, I was really satisfied with it and I won't have to worry about rust! (At least not anytime soon):icon_conf.
I've been doing bodywork/refinishing/repairing for several years now so it was not a big thing to do, but VERY messy. :cry:

Anyways, Onto the work (if anybody is even interested in doing it).
Whether there's rust or not, use 120-200 Grit Sandpaper and/or Scotchbrite pads to get rid of any surface rust and loose paint.

If you buy the kit, it comes with all the chemical pads you need, otherwise, buy some type of Oil & Grease remover and wipe down all the surface with it.

Next, Make sure everything you don't want sprayed or coated is either masked up or removed.

Now, depending on your paint finish and how bad your rust is, you'll want to spray the area with primer. I just used a rattle can of Black Primer to use an an undercoat.

With the kit I got, it comes with a metal bristle roller so laying down the "Rhinoliner" was pretty simple. It's very messy and splatters everywhere when you "roll" it. I put a total of 3 thick and hefty coats on there and let it dry about an hour or two in between laying down coats.

I'll shut up. You can look at the pictures now. The finished product HONESTLY doesn't show any justice. In person, It looks nice and clean and...simple. A lot of people like the look, some don't. But whatever. I'll say it again, I don't care what other people think. If I did, I'd be driving an MKIV, right?

:biglaugh: :biglaugh:

Jeff

Attachments

• Rear Hatch Bedliner-1.JPG
    Rear Hatch Bedliner-1.JPG
    98.7 KB · Views: 112
  • Rear Hatch Bedliner-stuff.JPG
    Rear Hatch Bedliner-stuff.JPG
    80.4 KB · Views: 81
  • Rear Hatch Bedliner-2.JPG
    Rear Hatch Bedliner-2.JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 118
  • Rear Hatch Bedliner-3.JPG
    Rear Hatch Bedliner-3.JPG
    161.9 KB · Views: 130
  • Rear Hatch Bedliner-Final.JPG
    Rear Hatch Bedliner-Final.JPG
    130.6 KB · Views: 167

Jspec7m88

Dec 3, 2005
Nappy City
There's no smell. Maybe I used the JDM y0 Bed Liner....

I'm so cool. :D

And just for the 'tards that didn't realize it,

IT'S IN MY SUPRA.

:runaway:

Jspec7m88

Dec 3, 2005
Nappy City
.....Where does it say 3" thick?

lol...I said,

----3 THICK AND HEFTY COATS----

:D

And the entire can of Rhinoliner weighed less than 8lbs. I only used 2/3rds of it. Sorry. 50lbs is out of the ballpark, lol.

CTsupra

Supramania Contributor
Jspec7m88 said:
.....Where does it say 3" thick?

lol...I said,

----3 THICK AND HEFTY COATS----

:D

And the entire can of Rhinoliner weighed less than 8lbs. I only used 2/3rds of it. Sorry. 50lbs is out of the ballpark, lol.

oh... whoops! read it too fast.

though, i guarantee that stuff weighs more dry than what it does in the can :D

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
why would that be. wouldn't the solvent evaporate and lighten the load?

looks good, but what happens when you need to get to the access plate for the fuel tank? just gonna cut around it with something first?

BorHor

2JZ-GZE
Jan 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Jspec7m88

Dec 3, 2005
Nappy City
Clip said:
why would that be. wouldn't the solvent evaporate and lighten the load?

looks good, but what happens when you need to get to the access plate for the fuel tank? just gonna cut around it with something first?

No, Immediately after the first coat, I loosened the screws and lifted the plate to make sure it didn't dry. After the last coat, I took it off again, it comes off just fine.

And for the record, As much interior as I have stripped out, I don't think I'm GAINING weight to stock standards. I've only got it on there about 5 mils so I don't think it's necessary to point out that it weighs all so much...
And as HellsLegion said, it's weight to the REAR WHEELS, which is where it is needed. Thanks.

Jeff

fiyota

I ♥ Boost
May 3, 2006
Kelowna, BC
Take some pictures of it without the flash... go out and use some natural light as a light source and then take the pictures without the flash, they should turn out much nicer, without the glare.

PS: Looks good, very durable I would imagine!

born2drv

Banned
Nov 1, 2005
Burbank, CA
I plan to do something similar to my hatch eventually. Mine is all rusted to hell with holes, you name it... there will be a lot of cutting and patching required... then I'll put a thick layer of rust inhibitor and soemthing like that to seal it up and cut down on the noise. I have all the panels out of my hatch plus a couple big holes in the fenders and it's like driving with the windows down, drives me nuts! If I add 20-30lb back there in liner but makes my supra nice and quiet it will be worth it.

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
so when you going to finsh it the best part aboutt hat stuff is good sound deder as well if i had gutted race ca ri do allt eh floors in this stuff

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
jspec said the full can only weighed 8 lbs, how the hell is it going to be 30 applied?

Jspec7m88

Dec 3, 2005
Nappy City
^^What he said.

Not to mention I only used about 2/3rds of the can.

born2drv: If you've got a rust-infested rear, I would definately recommend doing it. However, My case wasn't bad enough to need repair. Just a good scruff, sand and spray job did it for me. What I also love about this stuff is that it's SOOOO tough. Although I don't plan to haul things around on a daily basis, aside from my battery sitting in the way, it should be great for carrying objects.

fotosoup: When I finished it, it was already getting dark so I didn't have a chance to take a picture in the day light. I'll try to snap one while I'm out and about today.

Jeff

hardcharger

#1 935 groupie
Oct 28, 2005
San Diego
looks really clean, thats a good idea it your just goin to have it open like that, nice and tough and sure as well stops rust so good on ya

Jspec7m88

Dec 3, 2005
Nappy City
Yeah. Although removing your "rear" interior doesn't free up a WHOLE lot of weight, I did it for a couple reasons. 1: IMO, Our cars are heavy pigs so I might as well get rid of stuff I don't use or even look at. 2: Perfect excuse when more than 1 person tries to get a ride from you..."Sorry, It's a 2 seater". :D ...Even when I had the back seats in, It was just terrible trying to fit people in the back. Besides, My battery being in the back and the way I ran the wires and all, It's not worth cutting up my interior if/when I ever decide to sell the car or the interior itself.

Jeff

:EDIT:
Added a pic. Just snapped the shot while walking back inside so it was sort of blurry...But a little better of a picture than last night.

Attachments

• Rear Hatch Bedliner-Final.JPG
    Rear Hatch Bedliner-Final.JPG
    88.2 KB · Views: 32