fing volvos

trucker

Feb 18, 2006
i'm bad, i'm nationwide
i'm sitting here in dallas, remembering the horrible day i've had

2 am, tring to sleep, trainee informes me that jake brake no longer functions, i tell him to slow down

7am trainee wakes me up again, the clutch pedal is on the floor

9am limp an 80000lb into truck stop, stall it out in fuel island because of no -funct clutch

1030am, much cussing and swearing later, pull all panels out from underdash, shove pin back into pivot point

1100 my turrn to drive, discover pass side door latch broken, now we look like fags using the same door

1200, pin falls out again, lurch to a stop in a rest area, reinsert, secure with cargo seal, start engine, get check motor warning on dash.

1230 decide warning isn't importaint, but now i have an airbag leak, dumping from 125 psi on brake system mto 60 in like 2 minutes(this is very bad).

1245, decide to run anyway, not waiting all night for a service truck, pressure will hold with truck running.discover that now, drivers door won't shut

1pm, wake trainee, hand him roll of duct tape, tape door shut, have him rreenter truck nascar style(a real red-neck, he loved it)

130 pm, a/c blower ggpoes out....shit!

140 truck passes, rips door open, pull off on ramp, re-tape door

currently, shop says 2 days to get in, i'm at the red roof if someone wants to buy me a beer...

ih, the kicker, 364000 miles....warrnty went out last week....coincidence? read the book...

Mk3runner

Supramania Contributor
Nov 19, 2006
Nor Cal
not familiar with Volvo's but on most diesels if the air psi drops too low the park brake triggers. I always hated that shit, having to hold the emergency down just to limp it in the yard. at least on trucks air bags aint shit to change

Ckanderson

Supramania Contributor
Apr 1, 1983
The beach
It's actualy cause they use air pressure to release the brakes. Volvo's use em too. It's not cause it's a deisel, it's cause of the weight. (trucker correct me if im wrong)

MassSupra89

Almost done.
Nov 3, 2005
MA
Damn that's some story.

I just got back from North Carolina, every damn truck I saw on the way there was a Volvo.

trucker

Feb 18, 2006
i'm bad, i'm nationwide
MassSupra89 said:
Damn that's some story.

I just got back from North Carolina, every damn truck I saw on the way there was a Volvo.

cause theey're cheap, and actually one of the smoothest, quietest trucks out there...they just have the build quality of a 80's korean car

ck, yes, air releases the spring(parking)brakes, that is the souond you hear when one parks, it's evacuating the system,, setting the parking brakes, air also is used to operate the brakes, its a pneumatic brake set-up, a hydraulic system dosen't stand a chance with the heat generated by a stop, and bleeding brakes every time you swapped frailers would be a messy, time consuming process. the airbags also run off of the same system, so if ou lose the air there, and it drops so far, below 30 or so psi, it locks the brakes down. if you are cruising down the road, and see those dual tore skid marks headed down the road going to the shoulder, most likely, the driver lost trailer air, ,locked the tandems,and dragged em off of the road

trucker

Feb 18, 2006
i'm bad, i'm nationwide
trydew, i don't know, but they always seem to share dealerships, so it could be

it's an incestous business

pete, western star and kw are allowned by the same company, paccar

freightliner is owned by dalmer-chrysler

trucker

Feb 18, 2006
i'm bad, i'm nationwide
detroit?

cummins ftw

and it's the onnly thing on the truck that works right

they ought to not let volvo put 'em in their pos trucks anymore

oh, just got back from the shop, they lost my paperwork, i'n about to go stand on someone's desk for a while...my next post might find me unenployed,,,

Mk3runner

Supramania Contributor
Nov 19, 2006
Nor Cal
whats wrong with Detroit Diesel, just because they have multiple injector problems due to their emissions upgrades such as EGR also I think the newer DDEC systems suck balls. but I agree it seems Cummings is coming up in the world.