fan clutch replacement with a more compact unit?

Twigger

Ahhh Yeah!!
Mar 30, 2005
OlyWA
Hey I am wondering if anyone has found a more compact clutch that will work on the 7m. The reason I need one is I have an aftermarket radiator that is 52mm thick compared to the stock 25mm thick unit. The fan sits to close to the shroud and has ripped it up and damaged the fan blades and probably the clutch.

supraguru05

Offical SM Expert: Suspension & Vehicle Dynamic
SM Expert
Dec 16, 2005
louisville ky
you could try electric i think they might clear. i have electric fans but i dont have that thick of a radiator

Twigger

Ahhh Yeah!!
Mar 30, 2005
OlyWA
IJ. said:
I run a PWR Rad with a stock Clutch and 10 blade fan and shroud with no problems at all up to 8000 rpm.

You might want to check your engine mounts.

Well I have a video of it on the dyno and the engine does not move much. The clutch fan has a little bit of side to side play. But I would think that the optimum setup would be with the fan the stock distance from the radiator. Right now it is an inch closer which would make it not pull the air through as well. Plus trying to get the radiator in and out is nearly impossible with the fan attached. I was thinking electric but I like the reliabilty and strength of the stock unit.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
To heck with the fan. Bring on the dyno video...................:biglaugh:

Good luck with your fan problems...............lol

Twigger

Ahhh Yeah!!
Mar 30, 2005
OlyWA
Here is what I am talking about. Plus my new Apex filter that I just got, couldnt be more happy with it.
p287413_1.jpg

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Twigger, that engine bay is absolutely awesome. Looks like it just rolled off of the showroom floor, except BETTER!!!!!!! I love that apexi filter............:love:

Twigger

Ahhh Yeah!!
Mar 30, 2005
OlyWA
Thanks suprahero, many hours of scrubbing off 14 years of dirt. Makes it easier when you are doing a headgasket at the same time.

Daemon, I bought the Apexi power intake and it came with all that good stuff. I had to bend the mounting bracket and it was still a real tight fit but everything else is high quality. Super loud sucking noise during full boost. I believe it was around $115 before shipping.

DaemoN

Jul 1, 2005
Wichita, Kansas
www.TeamFE.net
Twigger said:
Thanks suprahero, many hours of scrubbing off 14 years of dirt. Makes it easier when you are doing a headgasket at the same time.

Daemon, I bought the Apexi power intake and it came with all that good stuff. I had to bend the mounting bracket and it was still a real tight fit but everything else is high quality. Super loud sucking noise during full boost. I believe it was around $115 before shipping.
thanks.