Fan clutch repair

Inygknok

Tropical Paradise
Sep 22, 2005
Puerto Rico
Anybody know the correct part number for the Toyota fan clutch fluid?

Also, does anyone by any chance have the link to the repair guide for the clutch? I believe Jeff Lange wrote one but I can't find it and it's not on the portal.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Part number 08816-03001 but it's a lot cheaper at hobby shops where it's used in the diffs of RC cars. 50 ml of 3000 centistokes is what you want.

Edit: I wrote the procedure seen on this forum but basically all that's involved is to split the halves, drain, refill and reassemble. Rather than repeat it again this one will do:

www.4crawler.com/4x4/Docs/FanClutch.pdf

I would tell you that and the part number took me all of 5 seconds to google but then I might be accused of being a Richard. You know, like people who don't thank others for helping them...

Last edited:

Inygknok

Tropical Paradise
Sep 22, 2005
Puerto Rico
I ran into a few guides but thought that the GTE fan clutch might have something different. That's why I requested for the one here in the forum.

Thanks for the info though! I have an RC hobby shop just 2 minutes away. Didn't get the "Richard joke" but thanks anyways :p

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
Thank JJ! I would also like to thank you for the igniter ground thread that I believe you did too. My car sports that mod as well. I'll be looking into rebuilding one or more of my spare fan clutches.

Back on topic: Are there separate clutches for turbo and N/A, or do they both use the same one?

Inygknok

Tropical Paradise
Sep 22, 2005
Puerto Rico
I can answer that ForcedTorque. I ran into a thread discussing just that while searching for the guide. If I remember correctly, there are 3 GTE clutches and 2 NA ones. The GTE ones were "drastically" different to the NA ones. I remember they had "the orange thing" to differentiate among the 2 and the GTE ones were much bigger in comparison. I know IJ and Jeff Lange wrote in that thread.

Inygknok

Tropical Paradise
Sep 22, 2005
Puerto Rico
That's the thread, the first one.

By the way, I removed the nuts and screws holding the fan clutch together, but I can't pry it open for the life of me. Am I missing something?

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
Slide razor blade between the two pieces. It hasn't been opened for 20+ years. Also, getting that o-ring to stay in the groove on assembly is a chore. I used a thin card to push it back into the groove as I brought the two pieces together.... and don't overfill or it will be locked up tight and sound like a semi-trailer truck on a hot afternoon.

Inygknok

Tropical Paradise
Sep 22, 2005
Puerto Rico
Aight, thanks 3P. Looks like I'll just turn on the tv while doing this then so I don't spaz out from impatience.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Some owners will never understand why electric fans are not worth it if they are not an OEM design. Also, an electric fan can go anytime but a fan clutch will go slowly which you can pick up on a routine check up of your car at your oil changes.

JStoked

Jun 27, 2010
Edmond, Oklahoma, United States
Inygknok;1671154 said:
I ran into a few guides but thought that the GTE fan clutch might have something different. That's why I requested for the one here in the forum.

Thanks for the info though! I have an RC hobby shop just 2 minutes away. Didn't get the "Richard joke" but thanks anyways :p

haha bro even my wife got the Richard joke bro:icon_bigg. But ya jj is the shit all he has to say is great info.

Inygknok

Tropical Paradise
Sep 22, 2005
Puerto Rico
JStoked;1682722 said:
haha bro even my wife got the Richard joke bro:icon_bigg. But ya jj is the shit all he has to say is great info.

If I knew who "Richard" was or if it's a coloquial joke or whatever, I might get it then.