fan clutch / other oil alternatives

Supra

May 11, 2005
Rockford, IL
I have aquired about 6 fan clutches over the years and all are dry as a bone. I usually order the fluid from Toyota and everytime I do, I think to myself "this looks alot like just thick oil".

I was thinking about trying Redline MT90 in a fan clutch and was wondering if anyone else has expirimented with or knows exactly what Toyota fan clutch oil is?

Supra

May 11, 2005
Rockford, IL
jetjock said:
It's silicone. Available in several different weights (centistokes) from any hobby shop for a few bux. Used as differential and shock fluid in RC vehicles. Mix different centistokes until you get the viscosity you want.

I did read that elsewhere. I don't have any of the Toyota oil left to compare so I was sorta looking for a baseline weight to start with.

JimR

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Canada
Would replacing this fluid have any effect on a fan clutch that has "apparently" worn out?

If not, are there any options besides replacement for the fan clutch?

Supra

May 11, 2005
Rockford, IL
If your fan clutch is spinning freely, it is likely just out of fluid. You can buy 2-3 tubes at Toyota (800-327-2087) Jeff Watson for ~$7.00 each.

To repair it is easy. Take off the 4 12mm nuts holding it and the fan on, Then undo the 4 10mm nuts holding the fan, then VERY CAREFULLY remove the four phillips head screws. If you strip one, game's over. You spend a ton of time extracting, etc. I recommend using a phillips bit & a wrachet so you can put ALOT of pressue down on the screw and gently work it loose.

The point of this thread was to see if a cheaper source of fluid can be used. So far I haven't had time to expiriment...

ELEC. fans: I just switched from a high end elec. fan to a 10 blade stock fan and refilled the clutch w/ Toyota oil. I couldn't be happier and never will use or recommend an electric fan. <-- *my* opinion.

JimR

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Canada
Thanks for the info. The part number for this stuff is 08816-03001.

As for dealers, I have found that 1sttoyotaparts.com (Bob Bridge Toyota) is continually the cheapest. $7.48 vs $7.79 from toyotaworld.com

Jim

JimR

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Canada
My fan does not spin freely, but I was under the assumption that it gets harder to turn when the clutch itself heats up. I've looked in the tsrm and I can't find a thing on this.

Could someone give an overview of how the fan clutch / fluid coupling works, or point me to a thread where this is explained?

Thanks

Twigger

Ahhh Yeah!!
Mar 30, 2005
OlyWA
My fan has some side to side play, I am wondering if the unit is toast? Would replacing the fluid take care of this or I would assume something is worn out inside it.

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
The fluid only controls the degree of lockup between input and output. If you have freeplay, then the bearing is likely shot. I haven't heard of anyone rebuilding the bearing on these things. Are you sure its the fan clutch bearing and not the water pump?

I refilled my clutch per the instructions and now it seems like it locks up too much! The fan roars even with a cold engine. I used the recommended 50mL. I am going to pull it apart again and remove some oil to see if I can get it a bit looser.

Twigger

Ahhh Yeah!!
Mar 30, 2005
OlyWA
3p141592654 said:
The fluid only controls the degree of lockup between input and output. If you have freeplay, then the bearing is likely shot. I haven't heard of anyone rebuilding the bearing on these things. Are you sure its the fan clutch bearing and not the water pump?

I refilled my clutch per the instructions and now it seems like it locks up too much! The fan roars even with a cold engine. I used the recommended 50mL. I am going to pull it apart again and remove some oil to see if I can get it a bit looser.

I had one clutch that when it was hot and idling for a while it would lock up when I started to drive again. Or when I turned the car off it would lock up if I started it again in the next hour or two and stay locked up for about 30 seconds.

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
Twigger, what you describe is exactly how mine used to work. When its hot out and stuck in traffic the fan roars as the revs go up, and after a cold start it roars for a few seconds then frees up. Problem is now mine never seems to free up, even when cold. It sounds like a big 18-wheeler!

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
3p141592654 said:
Twigger, what you describe is exactly how mine used to work. When its hot out and stuck in traffic the fan roars as the revs go up, and after a cold start it roars for a few seconds then frees up. Problem is now mine never seems to free up, even when cold. It sounds like a big 18-wheeler!

lol i had the stock one do that

i think is that bimetal strip up front locks up so it does not get influenced by the heat. That and all the grime. Took a wire wheel to mine and problem was fixed :)

Twigger

Ahhh Yeah!!
Mar 30, 2005
OlyWA
3p141592654 said:

Well then I guess my other clutches were all bad then.

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
I pulled mine off and drained 18mL (1 toyota bottle's worth) out of the fan clutch. Now it behaves properly. Checked the bimetal strip as well while it was off and it was working fine.

Moral of story, don't overfill the clutch. I used 3 bottles and that was apparently too much, or possibly I didn't drain out all the old oil sufficiently.

johnathan1

Supra =
Aug 19, 2005
Downey, California, United States
I know this thread is ancient...but I am having problems with my fan clutch...There was an Aisin clutch on there when I got the car, but it seemed like it was too loose...so I bought a cheap clutch from an anonymous auto parts store, and after 6 months, it has locked up.

So, I still have my stock clutch, and it seems to be in really good shape, it just doesn't resist as much as it should...also, the flange is painted blue...does that mean anything?...was it possibly rebuilt? I am thinking I will just change the fluid inside, or make sure it is at the correct level...

3p141: How much fluid did you put into your clutch? 2 bottles?

mattjk

Permanent Ban
May 18, 2006
Huntington Beach
www.cardomain.com
from looking at the fluid coupling unit, it looks like when it spins high speed all the time, the bearings are bad and are seizing. Loosing fluid was cause low speed. Obviously you haven't added any fluid, so seizing would be the only logical explaination.

If you have the original that came with your car, I'd try that one with a fluid change/add.

Supra

May 11, 2005
Rockford, IL
I think I started this thread a while back. I ended up using Toyota fluid and haven't had the chance to test other fluids. My hobby store wanted too much money for 'testing' oils.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
-Rich87Tx2 said:
I think I started this thread a while back. I ended up using Toyota fluid and haven't had the chance to test other fluids. My hobby store wanted too much money for 'testing' oils.

well depends on what you were looking for

I know that they sell silicone fluid for the shocks in RC cars. From 10 weight to 150 weight. I used 30 weight in my RC-10 when I raced and that was way to light for fan clutch duties. minimum of 80 weight to work right.