Falling in love, all over again

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
So you never realize how much hp you lose with one particular issue, until you get it all back at once.

My car was left to rot for 2 years before I owned it. My gas tank apparently suffered a lot from that, because it killed the stock pump at 188,000 miles... then it killed the Walbro filter/pump @ 197,000 miles and just recently, destroyed the Aristo filter at 208,000 miles.

Anyway, took the tank down, cleaned it out as best I could, installed new filter and WOW what a difference! The car has a different personality now, one I don't remember it having before.

I can now take off in 1st gear, floor it, and a.) roast the tires b.) fishtail insanely down the road. (not talking about just dumping the clutch in 1st either, duh, I'm talking about flooring it from a roll already)

Yeah, never had a car that did that before and I'm sure it won't happen as much once I get new tires, but I'm really enjoying "feeling" fast right now. I fell in love with my car alllllll over again. I can't wait to re-dyno and see if there's any real difference or if it's all in my warped little mind :biglaugh:

Oh, and I also turned a local mk3 owner to the dark side (bc we have cookies). Drove him home and did the fishtail in 1st and he was loving it :)

I loves mah Supraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

Neodeuccio

Addicted to boost...
Sep 30, 2006
Schenectady NY
The Mk3 guy... he couldn't kick the ass end out in his Sup? I've never had a problem loosing traction with mine, even though it's mostly stock.

And where can I get cookies?

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
Mk3 owner has a NA automatic.. I think he would have been impressed by a stock mk2 at this point LOL

And yes, anyone who lives in the NE, or salted roads, or just knows that their car has sat for ages should do this.

Either have your tank professionally blasted, or do what I did and throw two bags of decorative beads in the tank, shake it up for a while, rinse, repeat, do it again til it's as clean as possible!

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
Maintenance horsepower FTW... it's the cheapest and most effective too.

Hopefully it'll save you $$$$ on fuel pumps and gas milage too.

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
In all honesty, I'm pretty sure my gas mileage is going to shit now since there's more flow going to the injectors and I'll be lead footing it so much more bc I'm an asshole like that LOL

Neodeuccio

Addicted to boost...
Sep 30, 2006
Schenectady NY
Tanya;1434113 said:
Either have your tank professionally blasted, or do what I did and throw two bags of decorative beads in the tank, shake it up for a while, rinse, repeat, do it again til it's as clean as possible!

That's fucking clever!

Note to self, buy beads. And not the anal variety.

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
Gas on left is what initially came out of the tank, without having done anything (mind you this gas was a only a few days old)

Gas on right is what came out after one cycle of shaking the beads in the tank.

p1434125_1.jpg

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
Tanya;1434113 said:
... do what I did and throw two bags of decorative beads in the tank, shake it up for a while, rinse, repeat, do it again til it's as clean as possible!

Tanya, that's smart.

Necessity (and apparently you) is the mother of invention. :)

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
lol, I was told after I had done it that it was an old school trick. I had been pondering doing this for months, but didn't have the money for both the fuel filters (I changed the one in engine bay too). Then the car gave me no other choice when after a 100 mile jaunt in the Everglades nearly ended in my being stranded. The fuel filter on the pump was like... sucked IN to itself and covered in a ton of rust particles.

What you CANT see in that picture, of the red gas, is all the black sandy shit on the bottom. My injectors must like being able to work properly now, but I can only imagine how horrible my plugs look...ugh.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
I used to love my MKII. I could drift around 90* turns at WOT, with the confidence that I would never loose control. I even tried to get it to spin out of control, but it would not do it. Have fun Tanya

Mondo

May 26, 2009
Wisconsin
Tanya;1434125 said:
Gas on left is what initially came out of the tank, without having done anything (mind you this gas was a only a few days old)

Gas on right is what came out after one cycle of shaking the beads in the tank.

[thumb]http://i467.photobucket.com/albums/rr33/bustedknucklexj/100_4127.jpg[/thumb]

lighter.jpg

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
He actually lives in Ft Myers, has a fairly clean homo blue '89 that's about to blow it's first head gasket, lol.

funky_monkey58

Closing in on 200+MPH
Apr 3, 2006
St.cloud MN
When I had my 83 supra it sat for many years as well, I used a product called marine clean. Added with water in the tank and a chain. Did the whole sloshing it around like you did.

And once that was done I used a tank sealing product on the bare metal and taped off all the holes and sloshed that slurry around until every inch inside the tank was covered. Then I applied black undercoating the the outside of the tank and used stainless hardware putting everything back together.

The difference is unbelievable.

Then with our mkiiis when we did the E85 switch we ran into allot of issues with the e85 breaking up loose rust. Rinse and repeat with what I did with the mkii and adding a good filter and the issues were solved.