Experts needed: Timing belt running toward engine

Bri7man

"Yeah! Take the lemons.."
Jul 17, 2009
Torrance, CA
IJ.;1484126 said:
To paraphrase The Oracle from The Matrix I hate to bring good people bad news Mike, I learnt by accident after trashing my original mint GE block by over torquing the bolt :(

(could never understand why it had horrible blow by on the dyno at even low boost)

Also for the belt tension just buy a fresh spring from Toyota (they're cheap) and let it set the tension per the TRSM then pull the bolt down to 36 ft/lbs and you're good to go.

Could any less than 36 ft/lbs do the trick IJ, or does it have to be done up that tight?

In regards with your experience with the #1 cyl wall warping.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Bri7man;1484175 said:
Could any less than 36 ft/lbs do the trick IJ, or does it have to be done up that tight?

In regards with your experience with the #1 cyl wall warping.

36 is the spec for that fastner and I'm sure Toyoyta took block deflection into account when they specced it.

I always have 7M blocks bored and honed with the tensioner bolt done up so it's a non issue on my engines

supraguru05

Offical SM Expert: Suspension & Vehicle Dynamic
SM Expert
Dec 16, 2005
louisville ky
could you get some pictures with everything on the engine. maybe from the side and front to see if anything looks off.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
CyFi6;1484153 said:
Was the block ever machined without the timing cover being machined? Theres a little spot on the pass side of the bock where the head meets the block, you can actually feel if there is a ridge where the timing cover meets the bock. If its higher than the deck surface it could cause your head to be leaning back in a sense and making the belt ride back.

This would also cause a serious oil leak at the timing cover.

Supramk389

Dec 29, 2008
Connecticut
Good luck! Mine creeps foward towards the rad to the end of the cam gears...I gotta check the guide on the crank pulley, never knew there was opne there!

Bri7man

"Yeah! Take the lemons.."
Jul 17, 2009
Torrance, CA
Mine creeped to the timing plate a couple of months ago and started to shred itself after 4 quartermile runs.. But a sheared bolt had broke the crank pulley guide clean off and I know I didn't put it on as straight as it could be.

This kind of thing has got to be really annoying.. Hope you figure out what's going on.

sk6471

Quietly Lurking
May 28, 2005
Texas
My first 7m picked up a nasty shriek right after I bought it. After a few months of trying to figure out what it was, I took it to a mechanic. The front lip of the crank timing pulley had broken off and the timing belt had worn a groove in the lower timing cover.