exhaust wrap on daily??

85celicasupra

spokane supra owner
Mar 9, 2008
spokane,wa
forums.celicasupra.com
wondering what some of your opinions/experiences with this is.
I have just finished turboing my 5m in my mk2 and want to reduce under hood temps.
I have a DDP stock manifold and was planning on wrapping them, but heard it can cause problems on daily driven cars, or cars that are on and running for long periods of time...

KicknAsphlt

Occasional Peruser
I've heard, and mind you, I have no personal experience, but I've heard that wrapping the exhaust is bad because it traps the heat in the pipes, and without any kind of barrier on the inside of the pipe (like when you Jet-Hot/Ceramichrome), the exhaust gases corrode the metal faster from the inside out, because it's trapped inside the pipe and can't dissipate. It makes sense really, but can't really back it up since I have no personal experience. All I know is, my headers on my truck are ceramichromed and they cool down really fast...and under-hood temps aren't that bad. Plus, you have the added benefit of a bit of BLING!...lol.

toy fanatic78

addicted to toy's
Oct 17, 2008
Elkhart,IN
I wrapped the header in my first MK2,12 years ago,did the spray paint coating over it.180k miles on it with zero issues,Unwrapped the header recently to modify it to fit my cressida,and there was no rust under the wrap,And the carbon that coats the inside tends to protect the inside from rusting.

Stretch

Tallest MK3 driver ever!!
Mar 30, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
If you were interested in the ceramichrome contact Jdub I think is his name. He has good prices and does good work! The coating also looks very very nice :icon_bigg
eric

MK3.0dudeman

brian L.
Mar 12, 2007
North Jersey
How dose it cause any problem on a dd like your saying?I've heard that it may cause the pipes to rust faster but I don't know why it cause any other problems.I have a ddp that I wraped from top to bottom and my car a dd and I have no problems with it.I have the black wrap that I think looks nicer and more low key but I did not use the spray witch I would use cause it keeps it sealed and keeps it looking nicer for longer.

steveaw11

Feb 18, 2009
georgia
Had my header wrapped on my daily MR2 for some time now 0 issues, used the spray as well.

Attachments

• HPIM0171.jpg
    HPIM0171.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 39

Island_Yota

Aug 5, 2008
Vancouver Island
Canuckrz;1253452 said:
Yes, infact it would likely do a far better job.

Il have to buy some then, tired of hearing that thing rattle around. Now ive never done this before, how does it stay wrapped on? is there a technique to it? id be pulling the manifold out anyway so I can do a nice job of it.

Setheroo

^_^ got horespower?
Oct 16, 2006
Tennessee
www.revogate.com
Island_Yota;1253844 said:
Il have to buy some then, tired of hearing that thing rattle around. Now ive never done this before, how does it stay wrapped on? is there a technique to it? id be pulling the manifold out anyway so I can do a nice job of it.

Zip ties ;)

But no, to seriously answer your question - hose clamps work really well. Some wraps that you can buy also have special ends that you can just link together.

Once you get working on it you will figure it out really fast.