Exhaust Suggestions

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
Hey guys, I have an 87 N/A Supra. Today while changing my differential and transmission fluids I noticed that I have a small rust hole in the resonator, and the muffler, both where the pipe or tip is welded on. When tapping on the resonator and muffler you can here the rusted pieces rattling inside which explains the exhaust rattle I've had since I got the car. I figure at this point it is just time to replace the 27 year old system from the cat back. I like the sound of the stock system and want to keep it sounding like that. I don't want anything loud and obnoxious or droney. I also want to keep the dual tip look at the back to keep it classy and stock looking.

It looks like the cat back from Toyota would be $700+. This seems kinda high so I am looking for my other options. I've read that the HKS cat-back for the N/A was the best aftermarket option for what I want, but I don't believe it is produced any more.

With that in mind, what would you suggest for a stock sounding system, with a stock look?

Thanks for any input!

Asterix

Lurker of Power
Mar 31, 2005
Vienna, VA
The Bosal cat-back is an inexpensive option. It's quiet, looks fairly stock, and bolts right up. It does have a fair amount of back-pressure, but that's usually not an issue. Or, Wagner makes a muffler and resonator that may fit your system if your pipes are ok.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
Asterix;1993964 said:
The Bosal cat-back is an inexpensive option. It's quiet, looks fairly stock, and bolts right up. It does have a fair amount of back-pressure, but that's usually not an issue. Or, Wagner makes a muffler and resonator that may fit your system if your pipes are ok.

Thanks for the response Asterix. I like your screen name and avatar, that has definitely been one of my favorite comics. :)

Do you happen to have the Bosal? I am really wanting one that looks stock with the dual tips that both exit in the center with the chrome tips. My car only has 87k miles on it and the outer appearance is pretty important to me. From what I have seen while searching is that most of the direct replacement ones seem to have dual tips, but they seem to both be offset instead of centered. I plan to replace the piping as well because it has a few spots that look like they won't make it too much longer. Everything ahead of the cat looked good though, as far as I could tell.

Asterix

Lurker of Power
Mar 31, 2005
Vienna, VA
Thanks!
I've had a few Bosal systems over the years, and have one in reserve in my garage right now. Right now I'm running a semi-custom setup Raptor Racing made up a few years ago for a group buy. The Bosal is not the prettiest, but, your choices are limited these days. If you want chrome tips, add-on ones from the auto parts store is the way to go. Because the way the muffler hangs from the back, any ol' muffler won't work without welding on a hanger rod. If you know a welder, it's not too hard to bend up and weld on a hanger. The pipes exit from the side because of how the muffler is inside. A Magnaflow probably looks like you want, but it'll surely be too loud for you.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
Yeah, that's the problem I'm having is everything is pretty much made for the Turbo cars, and like you said my options are limited. I assume the raptor racing one you have is probably pretty loud?

I've been looking at the Magnaflow's because I do really like the way they look. They look the closest to factory, if not a little better even. How loud would it be if I got the biggest Magnaflow muffler in a 2.25 inlet/outlet along with a good resonator? From what I have read it sounds like the larger the resonator and muffler are the quieter they are, but I don't know if that is true. I would probably just have a muffler shop of some sort install the stuff unless I get a catback that just bolts on, then I would take care of it myself.

Asterix

Lurker of Power
Mar 31, 2005
Vienna, VA
My exhaust (from the cat back) is 2.5" mandrel-bent stainless steel tubing, with a Hushpower II resonator and a Magnaflow "muffler". It's on the edge of being too loud, but it sounds really sweet and definitely performs better than the Bosel. The Magnaflow is a straight-through design, as in you can see right through it, so it doesn't muffle much at all. Internal baffling and absorber (fiberglass fluff) is what absorbs sounds. Bigger just means less resistance to flow.

Generally, a cat-back for a turbo car will be way too loud on an NA car, since the turbo muffles sounds quite a bit by itself.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
Hmmm. It looks like I am at a cross roads then. From what I see I can go with something like the Bosal, but it won't look very nice. Or I can go with a Magnaflow style and have something that looks nice but is louder. If it sounds good and isn't super loud I wouldn't be totally opposed to it. The stock system isn't super quiet like a Corolla or so, but it actually has a nice sound.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
Well today and yesterday I went by a local muffler shop and Midas.

The guy at the local place said he would have to custom build one. He said about $260 for him to bend all the pipes, weld everything together and put a new muffler and resonator on. He also said it shows two types of mufflers for my car. He said one with tips that come out offset and then the tip bends back to the center, or one where the tips come straight out the center. I told him I would want the second one, and he agreed. I didn't think to ask about what type of metal all that would be made of, the warranty, or how the chrome tips would work with this muffler. I'll probably go by and ask those things next week. He also said about $100 if I bring him the muffler and resonator and he just welds it all up.

The people at Midas didn't seem to be able to order anything. They said they would recommend I bring the stuff in and then they could put it together. They also wanted me to just skip the resonator and cut the cat... I was definitely more impressed with guy at the local place.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
OK, I will. I am still deciding if I want to go with his system with the OE replacement resonator and muffler, or go with a Magnaflow type of system. Decisions, Decisions, Decisions...

akito

Keep Laughing.You're Next
Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
Are you planning to Turbo your car later? If you do then plan ahead but if not i'd stick with another decent stock condition one. I had a supra that came with the pacesetters exhaust that's the aftermarket stock replacement and it is pretty much like the stock system. I gave to to a buddy and it's currently on his car atm and it works great. I'd go with that if you can't find a good condition stock one, people just give them away for cheap!

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
akito;1995488 said:
Are you planning to Turbo your car later? If you do then plan ahead but if not i'd stick with another decent stock condition one. I had a supra that came with the pacesetters exhaust that's the aftermarket stock replacement and it is pretty much like the stock system. I gave to to a buddy and it's currently on his car atm and it works great. I'd go with that if you can't find a good condition stock one, people just give them away for cheap!

No I do not plan on going Turbo. I thought about trying to find another used stock one, but they are all getting pretty old now and I doubt I could find one in good condition.

drogon

Oct 29, 2013
Dallas Texas
I have a full stock exhaust that I just removed idk how good of a condition it's in but I can post pics in a little when I get home

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
Well I still haven't done anything about this. I'm too much of a perfectionist I guess, I only want the best for my Supra. Right now I'm still debating if I want to go with what he called stock replacement parts, or if I want to go with a MagnaFlow and a good resonator.

akito

Keep Laughing.You're Next
Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
If you can get a really good condition stock replacement close to you I'd do that and save that extra cash. People don't really care for the stock replacements so I'm sure you can find them for cheap! I would go with a turbo exhaust too since it is a tad bigger just because.

drogon

Oct 29, 2013
Dallas Texas
I got a really nice borla muffler with 2.5" inlet and dual 2.5'' outlet centered off of summitracing.com along with a magnaflow cat. put dual chrome tips love the way it looks/sounds its nice and deep and not too loud it is kind of droney but I have no resignator. Unfortunately I was only able to enjoy it for 24 hrs because I got BHG on the way home from work. Ended up costing me $160 to get it all welded up and installed doesnt look aftermarket at all really

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
akito;1998607 said:
If you can get a really good condition stock replacement close to you I'd do that and save that extra cash. People don't really care for the stock replacements so I'm sure you can find them for cheap! I would go with a turbo exhaust too since it is a tad bigger just because.

Yeah, problem is that there aren't many local Supras around here. There is one guy who has been posting parts on craigslist, maybe I'll contact him. Also, I believe the Turbo and N/A catback is the same Toyota part number.

drogon;1998647 said:
I got a really nice borla muffler with 2.5" inlet and dual 2.5'' outlet centered off of summitracing.com along with a magnaflow cat. put dual chrome tips love the way it looks/sounds its nice and deep and not too loud it is kind of droney but I have no resignator. Unfortunately I was only able to enjoy it for 24 hrs because I got BHG on the way home from work. Ended up costing me $160 to get it all welded up and installed doesnt look aftermarket at all really

I was about to ask for a video, but then I saw the BHG part... Sorry to hear that.

drogon

Oct 29, 2013
Dallas Texas
Yea but I should've figured out it was coming I was having coolant loss replaced leaky hoses and the metal socket thing that the heater hose connects to at the back of the block was loose cleaned and resealed it, was still loosing coolant but no signs of leaks but now I know where lol, removing the head this weekend tho may end up doing a full rebuild depending on what me and my dad find. Here are some pics tho. May have a video from before the bhg I'll have to look
buby9asu.jpg
urygu5er.jpg
u9yzyda4.jpg
ju2ysa2u.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk