Exhaust Suggestions

akito

Keep Laughing.You're Next
Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
Silver MK3;1998698 said:
Also, I believe the Turbo and N/A catback is the same Toyota part number.

I believe you're right. My NA days were sooo long ago and my stock exhaust were only on the car for a very short period of time after the swap.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
The exhaust looks good drogon, after looking at some videos online I think the Borla one may be too loud for me though.

akito;1998791 said:
I believe you're right. My NA days were sooo long ago and my stock exhaust were only on the car for a very short period of time after the swap.

No worries, I thought they were different too until I was browsing through the EPC and saw they were the same.

Any one know if there would there be any sound difference between 2.25" pipes, resonator, and muffler versus a 2.5" with the same stuff? I would think the 2.25" would be a little quieter, but sometimes stuff like this is kinda strange.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
Well I just ordered the stuff for my exhaust. I went with a MagnaFlow 12251. Its 2.25" inlet with dual 2.25" outlets. The case of the muffler is 5x8x18 and is pretty much as big as you can fit under the car. The longer the muffler the quieter they are, so that is why I wen with the 18" one. For a resonator I went with a HushPower II also in 2.25" inlet/outlet. I ordered some 3" MagnaFlow angled chrome tips as well. They should look almost exactly like the stock ones. I got everything from Summit Racing for a tad over $275. I should have everything delivered next week and hopefully installed as well. Total will probably be around $400 for the whole thing finished. I'm pretty sure I have read every thread on the internet dealing with mufflers and watched all of the YouTube videos as well. I believe this set up will sound the way I want my Supra to sound.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
Sorry I never updated this to anyone that was following, and thanks to those that helped me with suggestions along the way. Here's a few videos and pictures of the finished system. I got this all put together in April, I just didn't have time to upload anything about it until now. Here's a few pictures of the exhaust.

I didn't have any decent videos of the exhaust on my phone, so I went out and took a couple last night. They aren't the best, but they'll have to do for now.

The first on is from idle to about 6k rpm in first through third from inside the car. (You'll have to click on them to play them.)

The second one is sitting in the car with the door open revving.

The last one I placed the phone right behind the exit of the muffler on the ground and revved to about 6k again, and then to like 3.5k the second time. At the beginning of the video you can hear it at idle too.

It's not loud at all at idle, sounds basically stock. When revving it has a little more sound than stock, but not a whole lot, which is exactly what I wanted. It's a FlowMaster Hushpower II #12412400 as a resonator, Magnaflow single in/dual out #12251, and the tips are Magnaflow #35131. Everything is 2.25". I think it came out pretty good, especially considering I pieced everything together based off of hours of reading and watching videos of Supras and other cars with the same mufflers.

The guy who welded everything together wasn't too thrilled when I brought him a box of parts, but when I came to pick it up he said I did a great job selecting everything and it all fit in perfectly. I guess he has had issues with people just bringing him stuff assuming it will fit on their cars... It sounds so much better than the 27 year old rusting stuff that was in there. I was amazed it wasn't loud before with all the holes that were rusted through the top of the mufflers. I took the OEM parts home with me and it was like carrying two maracas they were so full of rust haha.

Thanks again for the help, and sorry it took so long. If anyone has any questions or whatever feel free to ask!

Atlas

You call this a sandwich?
Aug 22, 2012
Clovis CA
Man your setup sounds great! I'm sold on the hushpower resonator. My current exhaust is way too loud. I think I'm going to weld one up to help bring down the noise. Ideally, I'd want mine to sound similar to yours, but I don't think I can afford to build a brand new exhaust system haha. Good work!

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
Atlas;2030893 said:
Man your setup sounds great! I'm sold on the hushpower resonator. My current exhaust is way too loud. I think I'm going to weld one up to help bring down the noise. Ideally, I'd want mine to sound similar to yours, but I don't think I can afford to build a brand new exhaust system haha. Good work!

Thanks! I'm really happy with the way it came out. I was worried that it's be too loud, but I think it's perfect, just slightly louder than stock. I think the hushpower resonator makes a good bit of difference in the sound level along with the fact that I got the longest magnaflow that would fit on the car. I'm glad that someone wants their car to sound like mine haha. If you can do the bending and welding, or know a guy who can for cheap I believe the muffler and resonator were like $200 total so that's not too bad. But when you add $60 for the chrome tips and like $120 for the guy to weld it all up it gets kinda pricey.

The only issue I have with it is it kinda drones around 2200-2800rpm. It isn't really noticeable outside the car, mostly inside. It isn't really that bad, but I'd like to find a way to eventually reduce this. I've been thinking maybe some sound deadener would help, but I don't know that it would. I also thought about a branch resonator, but the guy who welded everything up for me didn't seem to knowledgeable about these when I stopped by and asked him about it.