Exhaust recommendations please.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
Okay, I've got 2 Mk3 Supras. One is going to be built with whatever I have that's suitable, the other, I'd like to do as well as I can budget for.

I have 1 exhaust that I'm pretty sure that I don't want to keep. Stock elbow, some sort of downpipe that I haven't measured for size, though it's not stock, and what I'm pretty sure is a 2.5" cat-back.

The other is a LIPP elbow, RT downpipe and Tanabe Hyper Medallion catback. I'm sure that I want to keep the catback, as I love how quiet it is, and is a good 3" all the way through.

Somewhere in there, I need to add a spot for a wideband. Maybe.

Original plan: Install the Zeitronix unit that I bought, and use it's simulated narrowband to talk to the TCCS. This has the advantage that I can trick closed loop operation to run a tad lean for better fuel economy, which I may try, since I also have an EGT, but it's not really my plan do do so.

Concerns: This is still what I'd rather do, but I'm not sure if the TCCS will throw codes if the stock O2 sensor isn't connected. I could connect a ceramic resistor across the heating terminals so that the TCCS thinks that there's something there if need be. Is this a reasonable use of the simulated narrowband?

Alternate #1. Add a wideband bung to the LIPP elbow. This at least uses the parts that I have, with a minimum of additional parts to purchase. The advantage here being less mucking about with the TCCS, just use the wideband to log/display AFRs.

Concerns: I believe that the LIPP elbow is a cast piece. I don't know if drilling/tapping is adequate, and a weld is a potential weak spot.

Alternate #2. Ebay elbow. (Or if anyone knows a good one that has both bungs.) I've seen ones that have both a wideband bung and a stock O2 sensor bung. Relatively cheap, but ... cheap is as cheap does. (Concerns are obvious.)

Alternate #3. Whole new downpipe with integrated elbow, possibly divorced. It's not like I'm going to toss the RT downpipe, as I've got another car to put it in, and it's a known good piece. Not sure what divorced downpipes would work with my turbo, but probably won't be too hard to find one. Concern here is that I'd rather not waste money, and for a divorced downpipe... I'm not looking for loud. (Remember, I like my nice quiet exhaust.)

So, which plan? Why go that way?

mcammarn

matt
Feb 24, 2012
olympia wa
Just throwing it out there for whichever you get, you want the wideband(correct if I'm wrong) aprx. 12-18 inches away from o2. This way you get a better reading and the wideband will last longer.

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
mcammarn;1932677 said:
Just throwing it out there for whichever you get, you want the wideband(correct if I'm wrong) aprx. 12-18 inches away from o2. This way you get a better reading and the wideband will last longer.

I'm using the driftmotion downpipe which is right by the o2 sensor, reads fine.

91Supra313

Jul 30, 2009
Clarksville TN
mcammarn;1932677 said:

You are correct kind sir. at least 18 inches downstream from the O2 sensor, and at a downward angle of 10*. So it would end up in the downpipe and not the elbow. Not even close.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
Okay... So the reason for it being 12-18" away is... What? Or is it that you want it 12-18" away from the turbine outlet?

If it's away from the stock O2 sensor... Then what about replacing the stock sensor with the wideband, and using the simulated narrowband to feed the TCCS?

I suppose that I'm okay with adding a wideband to the RT downpipe just before the flex section, but I still want to know why...