Exhaust header wrap on the downpipe?

SD2JZA70

HardTunedMotorsports
Apr 5, 2005
San Marcos, CA
www.cardomain.com
OneJoeZee said:
I assumed you were referring to your Supra. Sorry.

I'll look into the coating though. It sounds worth it. I noticed the difference immediately after switching setups. The heat wrap doesn't seem to be doing a whole lot of anything.
The heat wrap does do a great job but make sure you dont wrap mild steel as it will trap the moisture and rust out your DP. Ceramic coating is great too just more costly. Exhaust piping should be stainless anyway as it tends to hold in the heat better than mild steel anyway and is less prone to cracking.

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
SD2JZA70 said:
The heat wrap does do a great job but make sure you dont wrap mild steel as it will trap the moisture and rust out your DP. Ceramic coating is great too just more costly. Exhaust piping should be stainless anyway as it tends to hold in the heat better than mild steel anyway and is less prone to cracking.

Thanks for the info.

In my case, maybe it's because the downpipe is not one solid tube. Since I have twins, I have two and they have to "Y" up at a point and also have a "Y" where the wastegates are routed back in... so those areas aren't wrapped completely like the rest. The wrap job just may not be sufficient to make a significant different too. I'm not sure.

I may just be feeling alot of the heat off the turbines though... Those are right in my face and not coated or wrapped with anything.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
I have a DPP, I put the stock heat sheild back on (slightly modified) and it helps a lot...

I've heard of ceramic couting AND wrapping, but I'm against wrapping in most cases as it will trap the heat to the point where it can crack things...

gilberjj

Friend of Fast
Apr 14, 2006
Tacoma, WA
ive heard nothing but good things about exhaust wrap even when talking to 4th gen guys. so ill probably join the club too!

MK3Brent

Very expensive....
Aug 1, 2005
Greensboro and Greenville NC
I wish my wrap still looked this good. :(

p680556_1.jpg

AGlobalThreat

Acceleration
Apr 4, 2005
Santa Clarita
themadhatter said:
it may not add power but it will help componets in you engine bay live longer less heat= easier life lol

Exactly. If done correctly your engine bay temp will drop, your intake air temp will drop, and your cooalnt temp should also drop.

Joe - The heatwrap will only make the most difference on the exhaust pipes. Obivously on turbo cars that includes the manifold, rear of the turbo, and the downpipe. If your manifold is cast it will be tough to wrap, I did not do mine and only would if it was a tubular manifold where the wrap could be used correctly. If you feel your setup is still too hot even with heatwrap on the downpipes, you could try finding 2 turbo blankets that fit, but honestly I wouldn't waste my time unless I could wrap the whole exhaust manifold also. A hood vent would also help your situation, if you were willing to put one in your hood.

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
Down Like A Clown Charley Brown
gixxer750 said:
Ceramic coating does NOT work better than header wrap.

Here is the proof.

Ceramic coat guys, reach down and touch your downpipe. I can touch mine after a hard pull with the car still running. Header wrap is FTW.

...and I notice top fuel dragsters and funny cars run the "wrap" and I would think $'s would be no obstacle to those guys.

Larry_A

You don't matter
Apr 7, 2005
SoCAL
gixxer750 said:
Ceramic coating does NOT work better than header wrap.

Here is the proof.

Ceramic coat guys, reach down and touch your downpipe. I can touch mine after a hard pull with the car still running. Header wrap is FTW.
Wrap works on the outside surface. Coatings are applied to both the inside & outside surfaces, which reduces thermal fatigue to the metal several magnitudes. Corrosion protection is another significant benefit. So there is more to coatings than mere thermal reduction. I use both wrap & coatings when possible [EG, DP, but not the turbo].

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
someone that agrees with me... seen header wrap do bad things to whatever it was wrapped around.

ceramic coating the header and then wrapping it does a hell of a lot, and it won't have the same issues as just wrap...

gilberjj

Friend of Fast
Apr 14, 2006
Tacoma, WA
i found a spot in washington that does powder coating and ceramic coating CHEAP! He did some ceramic coating for my buddies eclipse, and it turned out well. he has a 20 foot oven, so you can coat just about anything. heck, maybe ill coat my whole car. ;) the best part is his prices. for a downpipe, he wire-wheeled the whole thing, and then 2000 degree ceramic coated it for $30-$40. Here is the shops info.

Kens Powder Coating. Tech Line High Temperature Exhaust Coatings

Ken and Sharon Engel
20104-78th Ave. E
Spanaway, WA 98387
(253) 847-9431

Spanaway is inbetween olympia and tacoma off I-5

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
suprabad said:
...and I notice top fuel dragsters and funny cars run the "wrap" and I would think $'s would be no obstacle to those guys.
They also have double wall headers not really a valid comparison.

I have the Header, Turbine Housing and Dump pipe coated and run a Blankie on the Turbine as being RHD all of my brake stuff is on that side.

I've had mine hot enough to melt the Techline coating on the T3/T4 adaptor but it's still holing on.

If I shut my motor down in a minute or so I can touch the header without burning myself but can't touch a Cam Cover.

gilberjj

Friend of Fast
Apr 14, 2006
Tacoma, WA
Larry_A said:
Did they do the inside of the pipe, too?
Thnx.

yes, it was a dp off of a dsm, but as far as we could see inside the dp, he had coated it. my buddy had to take some steel wool to outside to buff out the ceramic coating, as it came back with a surface that was not completely smooth. not a big deal, but i figure its worth noteing.