Exercise / Personal Trainer?

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
Okay, now some of you might be aware that i'm massively unhappy about being me, and have decided that i need to lose weight. Ideally, at least a stone (16lb).

I'm 6'3, and currently 297.5lb. Jesus.

I was however, 305lb before my trip to the USA. My max weight in 2004 was 336lb and have managed to shave off 30lb just by eating less fatty foods and going out more.

Since tuesday, my diet has changed.

• For when i feel the urge to snack, i have pistachio nuts and dried fruit (apricots & sultana's).
  • For mealtimes, i try and avoid almost all carbohydrates. I do still have minimal intake of bread, but limited to twice a week, with only flora pro-active spread.
  • Potatoes have been totally cut out of the diet.
  • More intake of salad vegetables, and green vegetables such as leeks and courgettes (zucchini?).
  • More intake of fish, mainly salmon fillet, which i steam in a foil pouch, rather than grill or fry.
  • I drink at least 2 litres of water per day and the only non-water drinks i'm intaking at the moment are fruit juices.
  • Every day now, i wake up, and when possible i do 10 sit ups, 10 pressups and 25 jumping jacks. Beforehand i always stretch my hamstrings.
  • In the evenings i cycle at least 1.6km, and try and extend it on a daily basis - pushing myself as far as i think i can go before i need to return. I top out at 30km/h and my heart is POUNDING when i get back, which personally, i reckon is a good thing.

I want to get down to at least 270lb. I'm consigned to the fact that i'm never going to be 'thin' - i'm a chunky fat fecker with a slow metabolism, but, i CAN turn that weight into useful muscle. The more i drop the healthier i feel. The healthier i feel, the happier i feel.

What else can i do other than i've already done to drop this shit faster?

group a supra

SPAWNING AN INTERCEPTOR
Kai;1327097 said:
Okay, now some of you might be aware that i'm massively unhappy about being me, and have decided that i need to lose weight. Ideally, at least a stone (16lb).

I'm 6'3, and currently 297.5lb. Jesus.

I was however, 305lb before my trip to the USA. My max weight in 2004 was 336lb and have managed to shave off 30lb just by eating less fatty foods and going out more.

Since tuesday, my diet has changed.

• For when i feel the urge to snack, i have pistachio nuts and dried fruit (apricots & sultana's).
  • For mealtimes, i try and avoid almost all carbohydrates. I do still have minimal intake of bread, but limited to twice a week, with only flora pro-active spread.
  • Potatoes have been totally cut out of the diet.
  • More intake of salad vegetables, and green vegetables such as leeks and courgettes (zucchini?).
  • More intake of fish, mainly salmon fillet, which i steam in a foil pouch, rather than grill or fry.
  • I drink at least 2 litres of water per day and the only non-water drinks i'm intaking at the moment are fruit juices.
  • Every day now, i wake up, and when possible i do 10 sit ups, 10 pressups and 25 jumping jacks. Beforehand i always stretch my hamstrings.
  • In the evenings i cycle at least 1.6km, and try and extend it on a daily basis - pushing myself as far as i think i can go before i need to return. I top out at 30km/h and my heart is POUNDING when i get back, which personally, i reckon is a good thing.

I want to get down to at least 270lb. I'm consigned to the fact that i'm never going to be 'thin' - i'm a chunky fat fecker with a slow metabolism, but, i CAN turn that weight into useful muscle. The more i drop the healthier i feel. The healthier i feel, the happier i feel.

What else can i do other than i've already done to drop this shit faster?

ring me tomorrow mate i will run through a regime with you

SupraJDS

Mar 31, 2006
--
If you are trying to lose some pounds you are deff. doing the right thing. You won't see big results right away but don't be discouraged, keep at it.

From what you wrote it looks like you don't need a personal trainer.

If you are trying to gain lots of muscle you will have to start lifting.

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Weatherford, Texas, United States
Good for you! Stay focused and stairstep your goals. I just joined a gym and got a personal trainer to kick my ass twice a week. My first goal is to drop 15lbs by my birthday. I'm down around 10lbs now. I just cut back on portions, quit sodas and sweet tea, and try to walk everyday that I can't make it to the gym. My heaviest was 206 lbs at 5' 9.5" tall. My belly just about had it's own gravitational pull. The ultimate goal is 180 lbs with some body definition.

Good luck!!!

DsBetterHalf

The Pretty Doward
Jan 25, 2008
Alachua, FL
I can help here! :) My mother is a personal trainer, and my father did professional wheelchair body-building, so I can offer some tips/advice for you.

Be careful not to cut too many carbs out of your diet - it can send your body into ketosis, and seriously damage your kidneys. Pasta, in moderation, is actually a good thing, especially whole wheat pasta.

Apples are a GREAT snack food - you actually burn more calories eating the apple than you consume. Any nut is good, they are high in protein. Almonds are especially good for you :)

Salmon is actually a very fatty fish, so be careful not to eat too much of it, or it can backfire on you. My dad, during his hardcore days, was only allowed one serving of salmon per week, due to the fat content of it.

Hope some of this is handy, good luck!

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
Kai - watching what you eat, how much you eat, and when you eat is a very difficult thing to do. It requires discipline, but is not without reward. I am at the point right now where I am maintaining 200 lbs. [at 5'10"]. I was 220 about 2 months ago. I have not increased my already low activity level - I simply cut calories. Right now though, I have hit that plateau, where eating the way I am, I have to increase my activity in order to lose weight.

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
Best diet plan...eat what ever the fuck you want...just move around do something physical and be active!
The biggest cause for weight gain these days is not moving around and being active enough.

lewis15498

Don't blame ebay cheapass
Sep 28, 2008
Raynham, Massachusetts, United States
First of all congrats on making the effort to better yourself! All the things you are doing are good but hitting the gym is never a bad idea. While a personal trainer is expensive, theres a few pros. First, with a trainer you have an appt. which makes it alot harder to skip the gym, second of all they can work with you to do types of excercises that will accomplish your goals. they will also keep an eye on you so you dont hurt yourself. I started 2x a week with my trainer almost a year ago. I weighed 260 then, and i weigh 260 now, but ive lost a ton of fat and gained a good amount of muscle. while i may not be lighter, i look and feel better, on top of being alot stronger. Its not neccesary, but it will def help.
Good luck with everything!

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
Woot :D

I've given up booze and steaks. Thats right folks, no more red meat for me until i'm 'in the zone' once more.

I was just about to make a fruit smoothie actually. Raspberries, Strawberries, Kiwi Fruit, Plum, Cranberry juice & orange juice...

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
I wouldn't cut red meat entirely, just stick to the leaner cuts.

I've found that proper diet modification will help you cut weight far quicker than just excercise alone.

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
Kai;1327595 said:
Woot :D

I've given up booze and steaks. Thats right folks, no more red meat for me until i'm 'in the zone' once more.

I was just about to make a fruit smoothie actually. Raspberries, Strawberries, Kiwi Fruit, Plum, Cranberry juice & orange juice...

Chicken FTMFW! I eat red meat once in a while, but I actually notice I feel sluggish when I eat it now.

T

TinyBubbles

I'm glad to see you're drinking a lot of water, it really does help. Be careful with fruit juices though, some of them have sugar and calorie contents almost as high as cola. Look for juices with no sugar added. I also like green and white teas. they're light but flavorful, and some have incredible benefits to one's energy, metabolism, and immune system.

and don't forget to mix up your exercise routine. I hit a nasty plateau when I found a routine I liked and did the same thing every day for three weeks. :p
I didn't see results again until I changed up the schedule.

bountykilla0118

In Pursuit of 500rwhp
Jul 16, 2005
Atlanta GA
I coach elite soccer so this is right up my alley....

1. Get Stronger. Strength training builds muscle. The stronger you are, the stronger you’ll look. Check out a Beginner Strength Training Program online if you don’t know where to start. It takes 3 x 30-45 mins a week.

2. Use Free Weights. Free weights are your best tool to get stronger. Free weights are:
• Efficient. Work more muscles, learn you to balance & control the bar.
• Safe. Work your body through natural motions, not fixed ones.
• Versatile. Plenty of exercises with one barbell. Great for home gyms.
Start with an empty barbell to avoid injuries. Add weight gradually. Read articles on exercise technique & get Starting Strength. They are plenty online….

3. Train Your Legs. Don’t lose your time training abs, chest & biceps only. You need to train your whole body, especially the legs. If you could do only one exercise, it should be the Squat.

4. Eat. Food speeds up recovery & builds muscle. Eat at least your body-weight in lbs x 18 calories. Eat every 3 hours. Eat post workout.
Strength training burns calories. You’ll need to eat more to keep your current body-weight. Never starve yourself to death, even if you want to build muscle while losing fat.

5. Eat Healthy. Limit junk food & alcohol consumption to once or twice a week. Eat healthy the rest of the time, you need:
• Vitamins & Minerals. All kind of veggies & fruits.
• Whole Grain Carbs. Brown rice, bread, pasta, oatmeal.
• Healthy Fats. Fish oil, saturated fat, flax seeds, olive oil.
• Fiber. Green veggies, flax seeds, whole grains.
Go for whole food. Use multi-vitamins & fish oil supplements if you want. It doesn’t need to be expensive, you can eat healthy while keeping it cheap.

6. Drink Water. Strength training causes water loss. Drink water to avoid dehydration & help muscle recovery. One gallon a day will do.

7. Get Protein. Proteins are the muscle building blocks. You need protein for recovery & to build muscle. Plenty of sources you can choose from:
• Meat. Beef, pork, lamb, deer, buffalo, …
• Eggs. Eat the yolk, it’s full of vitamins.
• Poultry. Chicken, turkey, duck, …
• Fish. Tuna, salmon, sardines, mackerel, …
• Dairy. Milk, cheese, cottage cheese, yogurt, …
• Whey.
Eat at least 1g protein/body-weight in lbs daily. Feel free to experiment with higher protein intakes.

8. Rest. Muscles grow after your workout, not during. Give your muscles time to recover & grow.
• Don’t Train Daily. Keep one day rest between two workouts.
• Sleep. 8 hours of sleep on average should be enough.

9. Plan Ahead. Career, business, family, friends, hobbies, etc. All will interfere with your goal to build muscle. Plan ahead:
• Free Time. Train early in the morning or directly after work.
• Prepare. Prepare your food for work, prepare your gym bag.
• Shop. Go to the grocery store, get the food you need to build muscle.
Build a lifestyle that helps you achieving your goals. Build the exercise habit.

10. Persist. Don’t believe the hype. It takes time to get in shape and build muscle. If you’re a beginner which you are you will need at least 2 months to see serious change dont pay attention to the scale instead measure your decrease in size, muscle gains & keep a training log to keep yourself motivated.

The only thing that will prevent you achieving success is you, so go hard or go home.

Get moving man ,… I want to say good luck, but I don’t believe in luck. To me luck is a mixture of anticipation, hard work, and consistency.

Sample workouts
Before every workout you should be sweating. I advise 5 minutes to stretch and then 5-10 doing a brisk walk or job. REMEMBER TO DRINK WATER before, during, and after. After works outs there should be 20-40mins cardio at moderate rate. Followed by 10 minute cool down consisting of a slow walk and stretching. Also stretch more at home.
Strength training/Weight Lifting

Day 1—Monday, Workout #1
CHEST TRAINING
Incline Dumbbell Presses
1 set x 15 reps(light weight)
2-3 sets x 10 reps / 3-0-2 tempo
(Take three seconds to lower the weight, no pause, and two seconds to raise the weight.)
Flat Dumbbell Presses
4-5 x 10-15 (increase weight each set) / 3-0-2 tempo
Incline Dumbbell Flyes
3 x 15-20 / 3-0-2 tempo

AB EXERCISES
Crunches
4 x 25
fairly slow tempo, but don't obsess about counting
Reverse Crunches
3 x 10-20 / 3-0-3 tempo
Day 3—Wednesday, Workout #2

Back Muscles Weight Training Exercises
BACK MUSCLES
Pullups (Chin ups)
3-4 to failure / 3-0-2 tempo
Bent-Over Rows
3-4 x 10-12 / 2-0-3 tempo
One-Arm Dumbbell Rows
3 x 12-15 / 2-0-2 tempo

SHOULDER TRAINING
Shoulder Weight Training Exercises
Overhead Dumbbell Presses
3-4 to failure / 3-1-2 tempo
Lateral Dumbbell Raises
3 x 8-10 / 2-1-2 tempo
Seated Rear Dumbbell Rows
3 x 10-12 / 2-0-2 tempo
Day 5—Friday, Workout #3
BICEPS

Biceps and Triceps Training Exercises
Standing Barbell Curls
3 x 15 / 3-0-2 tempo
Preacher Curls
3-4 x 10-12 / 4-0-3 tempo
Seated Dumbbell Curls
2-3 x 8-12 (each arm) / 2-0-2 tempo
TRICEPS
Overhead Triceps Extensions
3 x 15 or to total failure / 4-1-2 tempo
Lying Overhead Triceps Extensions
4-6 x 15 / 4-1-4 tempo
Cable Rope Extensions
3 x 10-15 reps / 3-2-3 tempo
Day 7—Sunday, Workout #4
LEG MUSCLES

Lifting Exercises for Leg Muscles
Free-Weight Squats
Sometimes, just for the sake of variety, I'll use squats as my only exercise.
6-12 x 4-6 to 12-15 / 3-0-3 tempo
(Take about three minutes to fully recuperate between sets if you're really working out hard.)
Or Leg Presses
(I recommend using this exercise every third workout instead of squatting.)
4-8 x 8-15 / 2-0-2 or 2-0-1 tempo
(Again, take about three minutes to fully recuperate between sets.)
Dumbbell Lunges
3-4 x 10-15 Or 1 to failure for a burnout at the end of the leg workout / 2-0-2 tempo
Stiff-Legged Deadlifts
3-4 x 8-15 / 3-0-3 tempo
Or Lying Leg Curls
3-6 x 8-10 / 2-0-2 to 4-0-4 tempo
Seated Calf Raises
3-4 x 12 / 3-0-1 tempo
Or Standing Heel Raises
3-4 x 8 / 3-0-1 tempo

Topher E

Trance Head
Aug 4, 2005
Vacaville
Dude just stick with what you have going right now. Trust me! It will pay off in due time.

Some motivation
p1327940_1.jpg

That was me almost two years ago, smoking at 310 im 6'5 I had roughly a 46" waist and was eating like crap.

p1327940_2.jpg

Me now, going to the gym 15 hours a week, I have lost almost 85 lbs. Most of the weight came off in the first year thru changing my diet. currently 36" waist and 232 lbs. (I started bulking up when working out so that takes into account the weight gain.)

You WILL lose weight faster than I did if you stick to your plan. If you do start to crave and want to snack, only eat a few handfuls of granola or other oat type products. follow that with some water and bam, craving gone.

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
When it comes to drinks, I know that water is very good for you, but it can be extremely boring. If it is unbearable [I lived in Yuma, Arizona, and worked in the outdoors, so water in large quantities was a boring necessity], try adding sugar-free flavors. I don't know if they have the same brands in the U.K., but I prefer Cherry or Tropical Punch Sugar Free Kool-Aid, and Lemonade flavored Crystal Light. Of course, there are a ton of other flavors out there.

Also, I saw chicken mentioned and remembered that it is easy to substitute sometimes. One time I put some chicken in the chopper and mixed it into spaghetti sauce instead of beef, and it was great.