ever had an head bolt round up on you?

pelper87t

Oct 19, 2008
paterson nj
:icon_mad: so i'm gearing up to rebuild the 7m which had hydrolocked. lo and behold bolt #6 started to round up :cry: i might be able to force an 11mm in there and hope it 'fits' to get it out if not,how do i get it out? much thanks in advance

KevinM

Knowledge driven
Mar 30, 2005
Seattle, WA
www.cardomain.com
I had that happen once. I ended up have to drill the head of the bolt off. Once the head was drilled off, I was able to pull the cylinder head off and the rest of the bolt then backed out easily, should be easy to clean up at the machine shop (as far as the bolt shavings)

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
If this is for a stock head bolts go get a (iirc) 12mm 12pt and hammer it in the bolt and break it with a long breaker bar.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
I'm gonna come off sounding like a dick here, but I learned my lesson the hard way by almost rounding off the diff drain bolt on a Miata once. Use the right tool. ;)

Seriously if it's a 12 point bolt, use a 12 point socket. If it's a 6 point bolt, use a 6 point socket. This will prevent a LOT of headaches man. Oh, and if you can manage to get it in there, PB Blaster is your very best friend the night before you disassemble.

pelper87t

Oct 19, 2008
paterson nj
:3d_frown:I know the bolts are 10mm hex pattern, all the other bolts are out just this one left how it got rounded in the first place i have no idea

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
most likely not inserted all the way into the hex fitting before someone started putting it on/ taking it off.

87M-GTE

Slow
Sep 12, 2007
Milwaukee WI
Easy%20Out.jpg

skeevy

Jul 6, 2009
poughkeepsie
just had this happen to me, on arp headbolts. lots of blood sweat and tears over one headbolt. right socket didnt work, tried shocking the bolt, hammering on a smaller size, using those spiral sockets, hammering on smaller spiral socket, torching the block while applying pressure with spiral socket. last thing i tried was an air hammer with a chisel tip to try to get it to turn a little bit, nope. so i drilled it out with a 31/64 bit. then i thought thank god ill just unclip the injectors and feul rail ect. and pull it off with the intake manifold on... nope. the wiring harness goes through it and the bolts are stripped on the upper half of the manifold. i hate my car.

metaphysico

Mad Scientist
Jan 2, 2008
Gainesville, Georgia
A lot of the time I have seen this is because of the oil in the head when taking it off. When you stick the bit down into the hole it feels like it goes all the way down but the oil can hold it up, either tap it with a hammer lightly till the oil comes out or just take compressed air and blow the oil out before starting. As for getting it off, you can either try the oversize which usually doesn't work because the head of the bolt will break first or drill the top off. With enough cutting oil and slow speed you will not send chips flying around. Btw once you get the head of the bolt off you will want to drill a smaller hole into the bolt then use an easy out as pictured above to remove the bolt before taking off head.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
On the drills bit front. Do not cheap out. I used a Cobalt drill bit. Made short work of the head bolt. The HSS drill bit will fail.

Just for clarification, not the brand Cobalt, but a drill bit made out of cobalt. Purchased at Fastenal.

7EMPIRE

Feb 23, 2010
Raliegh
i used these to remove the stocks head bolts on my 89 and my moms.I wondered why they had that skinny section at the bottom and metaphysico mentioned oil in the dead of the bolt,i figured that's why it was.Am i right? it also made a really good section on the bolts that made removing them a breeze.
they are Kobalts i got at lowes.
p1599716_1.jpg

MA70Supra88

Boostless
Mar 31, 2005
Boerne, TX
I rounded out one of my stock headbolts and didn't have any luck getting it out with a larger hex socket. I ended up using a Sock-It-Out bolt extractor to remove it. It worked perfectly. I still have it laying around, if you're interested in it let me know.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
7EMPIRE;1599716 said:
i used these to remove the stocks head bolts on my 89 and my moms.I wondered why they had that skinny section at the bottom and metaphysico mentioned oil in the dead of the bolt,i figured that's why it was.Am i right? it also made a really good section on the bolts that made removing them a breeze.
they are Kobalts i got at lowes.
p1600614_1.jpg

No... the ball end allen keys are designed so that they do not need to be straight in - they work at an angle as well. Unfortunately, they sacrifice a fair bit of strength for this feature, so it's not uncommon to see these with the ball end snapped off. There's no way I'd use a ball end on the head bolts...

mk3tattoos

Apr 12, 2008
Bremerton, Wa
use a dremal and a cutting wheel to cut off the bolts head. once its off the head you cand make two flat sides on the remaining stud to use a small wrench to back it out.