Ethanol Safe Sealant

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
Hello, To all the adhesive gurus out there i need a solution. I drilled my fuel tank and installed a bulkhead fitting like so:

p1933163_1.jpg

I used ARP thread sealant and teflon washers that came with the fitting so install it in the hole. The problem is im not sure if i really trust it because it just doesnt seem quite secure in there. The ARP thread sealant doesnt quite dry, it just remains tacky. On top of that the teflon washers are spongy at best. id like to find an expoxy or toyota factory FIPG equivenelt that is Ethanol safe to seal this fitting up securely.

Are there any epoxy type adhesive/sealants out there that are ethanol safe?

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
Going to give this stuff a whirl.

First im going to try to test it by gluing two pieces of steel welding rod together with it and submersing it in e85 and see if it disintegrates.

I spoke to permatex technical support and they claim it is alcohol/gasoline safe.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Deburr the hole and new copper washers.. shouldn't need sealant at all Dan, the Teflon's would work ok as long as you don't over tighten them they're mainly for use on plastic tanks.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
i tried briefly looking for copper washers and cant seem to find any big enough to fit around a 10an fitting. I would need them around 7/8's ID maybe a touch bigger.

I was thinking copper washers though. i want the fitting to be secure. I feel like when i try to tighten a hose end on it, i would loosen the fitting or somehow disturb the (what seems to be) fragile seal.

Sep 19, 2011
Des Moines, IA
Called a tech at permetex, and got this information about three or four weeks ago when sumping my tank.

hp thread sealent 56521 -Thread sealent
perma shield 85420 -gasket maker
And he said the red permatex thread locker is safe for e85.

Of course you want to let everything cure first before filling.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
Problem is that im sealing a bulkhead fitting to the bottom of the tank. If it were just pipe threads it would be much easier.

Im pretty sure the way i did it will seal but i just dont quite feel comfortable with the squishy teflon washers. Im on the hunt for copper washers. Ill be able to crank down on them real tight and not worry about it.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
Ill be ordering these: http://m.summitracing.com/parts/rus-683920 in a few days.

Stat-o-seals look promising for a drama free seal. One on the inside and one on the outside should be plenty good for sealing the bulkhead fitting. And the aluminum portion means ill be able to make the fitting good and tight/secure so ill be worry free tightening the hose end to it.

So far the permashield 85420 doesn't appear to dry or set up much past a viscous gel. I think the Stat-O-seal is a superior method of sealing this type of fitting.

Sep 19, 2011
Des Moines, IA
Wish I would have known people have been doing just a bulkhead in the bottom of the tank for a sump without problem before I sumped my tank. I ended up using a bolt on sump, so I drilled a 3" hole, and holes for the bolts. Ended up leaking a bit, so gotta pull it off and redo the seal. Damn sump was $160

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Nosechunks;1933981 said:
Ill be ordering these: http://m.summitracing.com/parts/rus-683920 in a few days.

Stat-o-seals look promising for a drama free seal. One on the inside and one on the outside should be plenty good for sealing the bulkhead fitting. And the aluminum portion means ill be able to make the fitting good and tight/secure so ill be worry free tightening the hose end to it.

So far the permashield 85420 doesn't appear to dry or set up much past a viscous gel. I think the Stat-O-seal is a superior method of sealing this type of fitting.
AKA Dowty Washers ;)

Copper would have been fine if the washers are new or annealed Dan!