Engine temperature warning light while turning only?

MK3Supra17

Jun 8, 2011
Toronto
I recently adjusted my gas pedal for free play and the rpm at idle seem fine?(TSRM says 700, my tach says 750-800 at a cold start. It's an 89 auto so is the reading at idle when the engine is disengaged from the transmission?) So I take the Supra for a spin and whenever I make turns, the engine temperature warning light comes on. I tried hard acceleration and it didn't come on, just on turns :aigo:

To add to the madness I look under the hood and i noticed the valve cover on the exhaust side sweating oil and some oil on the manifold heat shield.

View attachment 53142

I also noticed some greenish milkshake under the engine oil cap. Valve cover gasket on it's way out perhaps?

View attachment 53141

I have already checked for codes and got nothing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
If it keeps loosing coolant the green milkshake on your oil cap would be pointing to a BHG.

You can check with a test from NAPA.

MK3Supra17

Jun 8, 2011
Toronto
I topped up the fluid(was low) and the light doesn't come on anymore. I haven't lost any coolant since I last topped it up. So could this be a head gasket on its way out? The only possible ways I can think of coolant getting into the oil is either a BHG or a cracked head. Any ideas?

I was planning on pulling the head this weekend to have a look and see whats going on.

Also, as oppose to pulling the head, could I not just re-torque the head bolts? So far the coolant loss has been pretty minor, would re-torquing make sense?

Last edited:

87GWSupra

Rally Supra
Jan 24, 2010
Carlton, Oregon
I would have the coolant system pressure tested before automatically assuming a BHG. Would suck to do all that work just to find out a hose had a small leak. Or a pin hole in radiator...heater core.