engine management and other questions

Mk3Les

This has been doing my head in for a while now so I thought I’d ask those with more experience.
Here’s a quick run down of what’s happened. Fitted a SAF-C 2, took it in to get tuned and it couldn’t get tuned because every time they took fuel out it the motor would advance the timing too much. Took it to another shop because I didn’t trust the first place and let them have a look at it, they found out that the timing is out. I suspect that it wasn’t put back together properly when the car had the head gasket done. So after Christmas we’re going to pull cam covers off set the cams up right and check the head bolts etc… I figure if I’m doing all this I might as well keep going so while the car is off the road I’ll put my “turbo A” ct26 on as well as a AFPR and a set of RX7 550cc injectors.
My first question is RX7 injectors are high impedance so do I have to bypass the resistor? From what I’ve read on the forums some say you do some say you don’t, from what I understand if you don’t bypass the resistor all that will happen is you get a slight reduction in response time on the injectors of about 0.5Ms.
My next question is on engine management, I understand that a SAF-C will do a good enough job for me at this stage but I’m thinking of down the track a bit I’m going to want more HP so I’ve been looking into my options I’ve found some cheap stand alone ecu’s EMS stinger, Wolf 3d v3, I can get either of them for around $500. Has anyone had any experience with either of them, or should I just give them a miss and go to a piggyback? At this stage I’m looking for around 400hp rwhp, I know the “Turbo A” turbo wont do it and I’ll upgrade the turbo later. I also know with an e-manage I could get the 400 rwhp but I’d like to loose the AFM.
So I guess the real question is do I go to a cheap stand alone and have room to grow later or do I go the tried and tested e-manage.
Any help would be appreciated.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
If you adjust the afcII, it is going to throw your timing off. The shop you took it to probably did it right. I went with a Stinger Standalone on my 1jz and I love everything about it, except the cold start, and I'm working on that still. I make alot more mid range torque and horsepower at the same boost levels. I only picked up thirty peak horsepower numbers, but I gained a hundred pounds of torque and a hundred more rwhp at 4500 rpm with the stinger standalone because I could adjust the timing and the fuel. Good luck.

suprra_girl

7M POWAH! ;)
Mar 30, 2005
Auckland, New Zealand
www.supra.co.nz
with regards to the rx7 injectors it depends on the colour for impedance, dark burgundy red = high impedance tan/brownish colour = low impedance 19550 1370 i believe is the part numbers for that, both have the same part number, colour defines impedance.

If they're high impedance, just join all the wires going to the resistor pack together :)

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
funny how time reveals everythnig. Before the VPC/SAFC were the in thing. Now that it is known that timing is messed with when the fuel is added or removed. To use them would be folly.

standalone

Megasquirt
Stinger
Hydra EMS etc....