Emilio's Rebuild & Improvement Build Thread

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
Wow, it's been almost 4 months since I posted here. I will get some pictures shortly, but the car is back together and running for the season again. I have a lot of odds-n-ends to tie up, in addition to new projects to tackle.

To Do:
Install AC Dryer and recharge the system. (Maybe you can lend some advice Rob?)
Fix oil drain plug leak
Re-do cooling system with Fan Shroud + new Radiator pipes
Re-cover center console so it's not all cracked
Possible performance upgrades?

Also, pictures are coming up shortly. I promise!

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
Ac system.. you going to bring it in or try it at home? I can get access to the stiff to do it.

Pull a vac on the system, turn off pump and make sure it holds a vacuum about 20-30 min. If the gauge dropped at all you have a leak in the system some where and has to be found. I had 2 bad o rings . Lucky mine were right up front a ez to replace. Once the system is sound, jumper the low pressure switch so the pump will turn on. Put in the oil and 134 conversion can of juice and finish filling the system up to 85% of what oem r12 is.

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
I'll do whatever process is easier to do. I wouldn't mind doing it myself, but I don't have access to any of these tools - if you could that may be awesome. I did just replace any bad components and got all new o-rings, so fingers crossed things should be alright. You never know though, especially since I've never worked with A/C before.

Let me know if you do have a chance to get access to the A/C equipment needed though.

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
My A/C works, and my balls are well chilled now. I went to the track, and put down some really shitty times. Turns out I suck at drag racing, have problems with the car, or both.

My god does the crotch vent in the A/C system rock though.

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
Updates:

I've been keeping on top of the car's maintenance, slowly improving it.
Installed Cartech Intercooler
Installed SupraSport Turbo Elbow (to replace the eBay junk)
Fixed a small crack in the gauge cluster
Replaced power window switch

I went to the track, and managed a pitiful 16, 16, and 15.8.

I discovered a few problems,
My stock upper IC pipe is leaking, the plastic is splitting. I tried my friend's IC pipe (getzke), and immediately I was no longer hitting fuel cut on my 2-3 shifts. In addition to avoiding fuel cut, the new pipe saw my first time the stock boost gauge went past the top of its measurements. I plan on getting a hardpipe replacement, and hopefully that will be solved.

There is a growing amount of play in the steering. Steve confirmed my suspicions with a test-drive, and determined it's either the rack or the intermediate shaft/steering wheel. Both parts of the intermediate shaft and steering column seem spot-on, but the rack also seems "pretty decent". The rack does certainly have the most play of all the components, but it's not so obvious that it seems truly "bad".

There is another drag day on September 15th, and I'm hoping to have my intercooler piping and steering rack sorted in time for that.

I really should get some pictures.

fixitman04

fixer of all things !!
Sep 18, 2008
north dakota
hmm how did you think to look at that pipe???? seems you shouldnt have sold me that hardpipe to replace my plastic pipe that did the exact same thing!