Electric Water Pump

Cam_Ron

Dec 14, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
That will work on 1j and 2j without issue. Power increases by reducing parasitic loss. How much? Thats anybodys guess. The 2jz-gte and the 1jz-gte oil pumps are the same part.

aphxero

Jul 4, 2006
Seattle, WA
it's good for drift cars too. Coolant can be full blast all the time. Really helps overheating. Street cars its stupid.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
I used to run a DC EWP110 in series with the stock pump to ward off cavitation at high RPM and give it more flow at idle, worked well but I wouldn't trust an electric as the only pump.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
aphxero;1684058 said:
it's good for drift cars too. Coolant can be full blast all the time. Really helps overheating. Street cars its stupid.

Until it dies ;)

Also the load on the electrical system is very high, it's not going to be any more efficient than a factory setup. Drag cars that run off batteries only it would be great for.

Dimman

Back to the Left.
Why would an electric water pump be any less reliable than an electric fuel pump? You trust an electric pump to keep your engine from leaning out under load, what would be different for a water pump?

From what I understand for the efficiency is that the impellers are usually better designed as they can be more appropriately matched to the pump's optimal rpm (which can be electronically controlled) and you can remove the thermostat, which causes a restriction. They only draw a lot of power when they are maxed out, and because of better impellers and less restriction they can pump water more efficiently at lower pump rpm.

I've read up a bit on the Davies Craig EWP110 that IJ mentioned, and it sounds like a potentially really good system.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
assembly60.jpg

assembly61.jpg

bioskyline

Oct 21, 2010
powell river bc
dimman

casue when the fuel pump dies your car shuts down. water pump dies, car will run and overheat if you dont watch the temp gauge. only downside i can see.

IJ that looks like the water pump from my washing machine.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
mensrea;1684148 said:
It only draws ~7 amps, that don't seem to be that much.

IJ, how is that pump working out for you ? Is that your DD or track only ?

I had it set up on the MoTeC so it was on demand and worked very well as they can be a pass through pump when not powered the Mech pump on the engine covers 90% of the duty.

presidentialshotta

Jun 18, 2011
TnT
IJ.;1684102 said:

The davies site said that this pump can replace the original pump.
I have emailed them but still waitin on a reply. Do they mean you can physically remove the original pump and blank it off the hole on the block some how and install the electric pump in the engine bay?

I am tryin to decipher if this electric pump is the better option as opposed to buyin a new OEM pump for a 2jzgte.

Lets say the OEM pump is leaking and needs to be changed. instead of buyin an oem jz pump can i just used the davies electric and condemn the oem?

f00g00

Supramania Contributor
Jul 2, 2007
Kuwait
My 1988 bmw 750il has an inline electric pump to assist the main water pump when running the heater system. Its about the same size as a fuel pump but has a heater size hose output. Wouldn't be enough to run the system but might give it a nice boost at low rpm. I sure could have used something when my crank pully disintegrated.