Electric fans, just one more thread... Lol

airhead04

Aug 21, 2009
Lima, Ohio, United States
Alright, I am going the Efan route bc I was limited on space with the way some lines/piping was ran. That's ok though. I AM purchasing a Lincoln mark viii radiator fan.

So my question is how many should I run?? 1 or 2???

I've read on different forums that they produce 3000cfm+ on low, and 4000cfm+ on high. That's just one by itself. So I'm not sure if I need to run 2 of them. I guess it wouldnt be bad to have it as a precaution, but of I really don't have to have it, then I most like won't purchase 2.

Any input on this is much appreciated.

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
mjsn1;1782930 said:
Why even think about having two?
Its winter, and the engine barely worms up!

If they're set up properly it doesn't matter, they should only be turning on once the coolant temp is up to a certain temperature in the first place and then turning off once it reaches a second set threshold.

The flex-a-lite kit made for our cars does 2500cfm per fan, so if I were judging by the kit I'd probably get two of those fans off the Lincoln. This is purely just judging from the amount of air their kit pushes (and I would hope it's sufficient seeing as they've been selling it for years). It's probably overkill, but when it comes to stuff like the cooling system, you can't be too careful. Better to have it overbuilt than having overheating issues once it does get warm out.

airhead04

Aug 21, 2009
mjsn1;1782930 said:
Why even think about having two?
Its winter, and the engine barely worms up!

I really hope this was a joke right???

I'm thinking ill go with 2 just to be 10000% sure of my fans. I may let one run most o the time, and has the other kick on when it gets to the point where the thermostat is opening.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
I would use 2 and have the second kick on if the the temps get up higher than if the first isn't up to the task and when/if ac is on or used at all.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
The challenge is going to be powering them... the stock alternator won't run your headlights, heater blower, electric fans, and the rear window defrost without dipping into your battery reserve...

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
I imagine you could run one, but either way, you want to shroud it so ALL air goes through the fan.
And you must run it through a relay or you'll be burning up coolant temp switches daily. Trust me.

airhead04

Aug 21, 2009
Yes, everything is going through a relay system. No burning stuff for me XD

Grim I wont have BOTH fans kick on at the same time, itll be one on constantly, then the other kick on if temps start to rise significantly. You still think that will still cause a bad draw to the system?

^If your answer is yes to that, then would you think the driftmotion 140amp be a good upgrade to do as well? link---->http://store.driftmotion.com/static/i-140amp7malternator.php

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Yes, I still think that will be too much draw on the system. That DM upgraded unit might be the answer... to be honest, I'm not sure what the stock rating is, so I don't know how much bigger that one is.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Stock rating on an alternator?
70 na, 80 turbo.
That's at speed, I think though, so an idle output would be questionable.