EGT monitoring?

ValgeKotkas

Supramania Contributor
Apr 14, 2006
Over the pond
I searched and found basically nothing (the search function is rather bad now :().

Is there a point in installing a EGT sensor for a 7mgte or is the method of installing one sensor in the 6th exhaust manifold runner rather pointless (that's how it's usually done, isn't it?)?
I'll be running 7mge-t on gte electronics (if it won't blow :D) controlled with Maft-pro and wideband. Hopefully some more hp's then pure stock car.

Thanks,
Jüri

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
EGT is not useless - combined with AFR, you get a pretty good idea of what's going on in the engine. I do disagree with placing it in the 6th runner - all that does is show you one cylinder. Post-turbo is not great either - your EGT will read low. The best place for accurate readings is at the exhaust manifold collector or just past the flange on the turbo housing. Yes, this does put the turbo at risk if the EGT probe breaks off - a very good reason to use a quality probe. And, yes this reads an average of all the cylinders - better info IMO vs reading a single cylinder. Of course you could always put a probe on each cylinder if you want exact readings ;)

ValgeKotkas

Supramania Contributor
Apr 14, 2006
Over the pond
Which sensor could be a quality one? I'm looking into Prosport premium gauges now, would the sensor included be probably ok ? http://prosportgauges.com/exhuast-gas-temperature-probe.aspx
Installation needs removal of the turbo /and manifold then? Or can it be installed when everything's in car? (sorry, I can't check my engine right now, am too far away:()
Also putting it after the turbo, into the elbow or so where originally O2 goes wouldn't get me the desired "right" readings?
Thanks! :)

Last edited:

nuggets

Apr 14, 2009
Boston
IMO installation will require removal of the turbo. It's going to be hard to reach that area with the turbo installed not to mention the risk of getting metal shards in the turbo during drilling and tapping. Here's where my EGT gauge is installed on my BOSS Sr. - on the bottom of the turbo intake flange. I'm using a PLX Devices EGT sensor. They don't manufacture the EGT probe so I don't know who makes those. FWIW, this EGT probe looks just like the probe that I used to have on my Defi gauges. It may be the same vendor.

4837434697_0c27bb29f8.jpg

nuggets

Apr 14, 2009
Boston
Right on the money Jetjock. I just checked the plug on my thermocouple. Omega Engineering. Back when I used to work in tech we exclusively used Omega for the thermocouples on our BGA rework machines.

ValgeKotkas

Supramania Contributor
Apr 14, 2006
Over the pond
PM'ed.

Thanks for the info. I think I won't be drilling a hole right now :D This engine would like to stay in the car for some time too.
But... what do you think, how much lower would the temperatures be if I'd install the probe into the stock 02 sensor location (on my 3" elbow theres a thread that can be used with an adapter :)). I understand the reaction of the sensor with gauge would be a lot slower but overall it should function and be somewhat helpful for tuning and monitoring of the cars condition? At least as a temporary solution :)

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
I've told you my thoughts. Personally, I don't see the point of having a sensor that is not going to give me accurate information.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
You dont need to pull the motor, Only remove the turbo or manifold depending on what location you need to drill.

Mounting the sensor after the turbo will result in much cooler temperature readings and how much colder is impossible to say.

The best spot is as close to the exhaust valve as possible, but as Jdub said that will only show one cyinder.

I have mine in the Exhaust housing of the turbo just above the flange. I see 1550-1560 peak at WOT, 18psi boost 5000-6000RPM 11:1 AFR with 50/50 Water/meth injection 93 Octane pump gas fuel.

ValgeKotkas

Supramania Contributor
Apr 14, 2006
Over the pond
Thanks guys :)
(I won't be pushing the car with N/A bottom end, so it's just a temp. "solution" now - when the turbo/engine comes out, I'll install it. I'll guess I'll be "monitoring" the tendencys till then, then :D)