eFFeT's Swedish Powered Supra MKIII

Supraholics

.928 RWHP & Climing!
Apr 1, 2006
PA
www.supraholics.com
Everyone is too general, and similar is not the same....have you been into the political discussion forum lately???

:rofl: we're not the same unfortunately, but we do share a lot of similarities :D

effet

Sep 15, 2006
Sweden/Arvidsjaur
Supraholics;1031838 said:
Coming along quiet well. How many layers is that? What are your expectations as far as the manifold holding boost?
It's 3 layers of carbon fiber ~650g/m2. I might have exaggerated a little bit with 3 layers, but you can never be to safe. :) I'm quite pleased with the result to be my first time vacuum baging. :)

I was going to pick it out from the mould today but I don't feel so well after yesterday. One hell of a night!!:naughty:

effet

Sep 15, 2006
Sweden/Arvidsjaur
Figit090;1032748 said:
great thread, just went through it, awesome work!
Thanks! :)

I've just started to remove the mould. And it looks really nice :)

The surface is a lot smoother on the inside than on the outside, thats because the mould was on the inside... So it will be a little hard to get a nice look on the outside...

But it's the inside thats count... ;)

Function before beauty.

Amontgomery

not so sad 10psi
Apr 1, 2008
Cleveland, MS
Just figure some way to coat the outside in a flat smooth color so that noone will ever know just on looking at it.

It looks like it is coming along very well, keep up the great work.

Figit090

Fastest mk3 GT4 1/4 mile!
Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
whatever you made a manifold out of carbon fiber. props.

can you sand that stuff and polish it? i've never worked with it. lacquer finish? i know carbon fiber can be shiny...but how is another story.

cordoba

May 14, 2007
Tempe, AZ
I just scanned this whole thread. Your project is very cool. I appreciate your attention to details.
You apparently have access to a lot of resources, since you say you aren't wealthy. Do you do a lot of your work as a result of school, or do you have a lot of personal connections? Both?

Would you say you are representative of most other students you know?
It is a rare thing to find a student in American universities who pursues their field as vigorously as you apparently do.

Kudos again on your project. It seems like you have plenty of readers in suspense :naughty:

effet

Sep 15, 2006
Sweden/Arvidsjaur
cordoba;1037242 said:
I just scanned this whole thread. Your project is very cool. I appreciate your attention to details.
You apparently have access to a lot of resources, since you say you aren't wealthy. Do you do a lot of your work as a result of school, or do you have a lot of personal connections? Both?

Would you say you are representative of most other students you know?
It is a rare thing to find a student in American universities who pursues their field as vigorously as you apparently do.

Kudos again on your project. It seems like you have plenty of readers in suspense :naughty:

No no no... The school provides with a garage and there are some tools and machines there. We have a TIG and MIG weld, a small lathe and a small milling machine. Thats about it. So theres not much, but you can come pretty far with these tools. All the student haven't gotten any education on how to use them so we are all self learned :).
To make custom parts is a lot cheaper then to buy parts from HKS or Greddy... Take my Flywheel and clutch for an example.
Flywheel = ~ 94 dollar (A 18 yr old friend how study Industrial manufacturing helped me, I made the drawings and he manufactured it at his school. He did it as one of his obligatory projects under school time. Gave him 90 dollar, 4 dollar for the Iron.)
Clutch = ~ 250 collar
This assembly should be good for 1200 Nm. You have to pay a shit load of money to get a pre manufactured clutch for a supra to hold that much.
I just have to say that this project would never even started if it weren't for eBay :icon_bigg

I build on my car just to learn. You see the university provides us with good theoretical courses... but you cant learn everything at the school desk or from books. So I decided to build on my supra to get a deeper understanding on how stuff works and how you have to think when you manufacture new parts.

All the thing I have done on my supra is "first timers". So I'm quite worried if its going to hold or if its just going to say BOOOM!! and end up in flames.. :1zhelp:

There are 2 more students that build on there cars as well, they haven't done as much as I have but it's coming along quite well for them to. :)

As for connections I would say I have none. I've done everything my self and if I don't know how to make it theres always good literature to tell you how to do it. Some of my things is from my own theories that I want to test :).

Nice to see that people appreciates what I'm doing :)

effet

Sep 15, 2006
Sweden/Arvidsjaur
Figit090;1037781 said:
what's his field again?

I would love to do this but sadly I dont think I have good connections for it.

I study at Luleå Technical University to become a Car System Engineer. 3 year long education.

Figit090

Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
effet;1037898 said:
I study at Luleå Technical University to become a Car System Engineer. 3 year long education.

sounds cool, what do you plan to do with that out of school?

i've been thinking about switching to something more hands on like this...

Figit090

Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
effet;1037898 said:

sounds cool, what do you plan to do with that out of school?

i've been thinking about switching to something more hands on like this...

effet

Sep 15, 2006
Sweden/Arvidsjaur
I graduate this summer so Im searching jobb at Volvo and Saab. I hope I get to work at some place where I get to use everything I've learned or some part of it hopefully. :)

This is my solution for open/recirculating wastegate. :)

motordelar118ae9.jpg

motordelar119go2.jpg

theKnifeArtist

Fire on High!
Apr 6, 2006
North Jersey
great build!
so is it gonna be an open or recirculated wastegate? or are you gonna put somekind of a throttle flap there inbetween the joint points to switch it from open to recirculate on sunday mornings?, hehe