Ed's supra build (MA70/2JZ/T56/T04r)

Sir_2jza70

Sock puppet master
May 10, 2005
Canberra, Australia
Yeah I love the GT-Cs too. Best wheel for a JZA80 IMO, but I prefer the GT-7s for an A70. Ive wanted these wheels for years, nearly bought some new a while back but Volk no longer produced them. Came across this set by absolute fluke!

Sir_2jza70

Sock puppet master
May 10, 2005
Canberra, Australia
Was gonna test them this weekend but just thinking about things at the moment, the car is pretty well stripped at the moment so I wont be able to get it to sit low enough to test them. Plus its missing front panels and I dont have front tyres yet so I might just have to be patient and concentrate on the getting the car painted first.

SupraClaou

Supramania Contributor
Sep 1, 2006
Athens,Greece
You should have tried the 'R154' Ian.... specially with the 7M motor..straight bolt on!
Though I know you've done your 'math'...and you had your reasons.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
SupraClaou;1734107 said:
You should have tried the 'R154' Ian.... specially with the 7M motor..straight bolt on!
Though I know you've done your 'math'...and you had your reasons.

I was put off by the whole "shifts like a truck" thing only to drop 4.5K on the TKO that shifted like a Tractor... :(

SupraClaou

Supramania Contributor
Sep 1, 2006
Athens,Greece
Every guy that drives/owns a Supra is into girls/women more than the others! LOL!
Supras+Females = best combo!

Now,lets focus on the gearbox part. True is the W58 has a better shift feeling and it's so smooth compared to the R154.
On the other hand the R box can hold the big hp/torque,and it is rated as the top of the line by Toyota.
The V160/V161 getrag is overatted/overpriced. It can hold a little more torque/power than the R154 but still can fail though.
The getrag has better metalurgy on the inside parts than the R box.
I've seen blown getrags around 600 whp Supras... Nothing is perfect.

Sir_2jza70

Sock puppet master
May 10, 2005
Canberra, Australia
Ive seen W58s survive for years holding 600rwhp! (And thats proper Australian hp, not those cheating american hp numbers)....Doesnt mean its a good idea to rely on one.

This car used to have an R154 and, apart from the savage brass button clutch, I loved it! Ive driven plenty of V160 equiped JZA80 and although theyre a bit 'smoother' to use, I prefer the R154 because of how hard you can shift it. V160 you have to baby a little bit more or it tends to crunch, V161 is even worse!

Ive never heard of a V160/161 blowing that wasnt owned by someone who drove like a complete tool.

I dont think the power Im chasing would break an R154, V160 or a T56, I chose the T56 simply because of the ratios.