Edit: Which material is the least flexable?

Koenigturbo

Oct 4, 2006
Oxnard CA
Between carbon fiber, A.B.S. and fiber glass which one is the LEAST flexable? I'm in the market for a spoiler.

Last edited:

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
It's really more of a "how it's made" rather than "what it is made out of".

All three materials can provide the level of stiffness needed in a spoiler. It's really how thick it is, how layers are constructed, etc.

Stay away from cheap crap, and buy from a reputable dealer so you know you are getting something that isn't a counterfeit.

As a matter of opinion? I'd say carbon fiber is the superior material. From a strength per weight perspective, it's very strong. Now that assumes the person working it understands carbon fiber, lays the layers in the correct manner, ect.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
Yeah I'd agree with Mike. I've seen some fibreglass spoilers that are unbelievably solid. The factory spoiler on the AW11 MR2 for example. You can probably stand on it without it even flexing. The newer Toyota factory spoilers are not quite as solid.

I've seen some pretty poor CF spoilers as well, which seemed weak and flexible, but I've also seen good.

In conclusion, buy a quality product, and I think it should be strong enough.

For example: ACR Viper 4-layer CF spoiler:
504x_Dodge_Viper_ACR_Wing.jpg

Jeff

87tomanymods

87tomanymods
Oct 25, 2008
lansdale
www.myspace.com
id go with the carbon its like glass on roids lol. but ya get what you pay for (even carbon can be low quality if manufactured incorectly) , but when its done right carbon fiber is the strongest/lightest (man made) material ive ever heard of.

Last edited:

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
87tomanymods;1386741 said:
carbon fiber is the strongest/lightest man made material ive ever heard of.

Completely off topic, but aerogels beat the pants off carbon/fiber when it comes to strength per weight:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerogel

Here's a 5.5 lb brick supported by 0.070 oz of aerogel:

568px-Aerogelbrick.jpg

Silica aerogel is listed in the Guinness World Records for lowest-density solid.

But I doubt you'd make a spoiler/wing out of it. ;)