eBay knock-off TRD shift knob

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
This Item just arrived in the mail today.

It's billed as being a real TRD shift knob, though it came in Momo packaging, which my genuine one did not.

The genuine one is on the left, the eBay knock-off on the right. My genuine one is a couple years old, and is shinier (Though I think that it was even when it was new)

Again, genuine on the left, eBay knock-off on the right. The font on the knock-off is somewhat larger, and the "2" isn't as clearly indented. The whole shift pattern isn't, for that matter. This is far more apparent in real life, since the photos don't really show the depth of the indentation.

This is the largest difference. I was actually quite worried that the eBay knob didn't specify threads for the knob. There aren't any, it's just tight enough that you can thread it onto whatever you've got, and it will work out, but it's tight enough that I had trouble getting the knob to go all the way to the boot collar. (Actually there's still a gap. I'll have to work on it some more.) Also, as you can see the leather finishing in the bottom isn't nearly as nice with the knock-off, though the leather does appear to be of good quality.

So far, it seems that the TRD logos may be adhered to the sides of this one better than they are in the genuine article.

Overall, I'm fairly satisfied with this as a <$20 purchase.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
Okay. Quick update.

The knob will not thread on all the way to the boot collar, there's still about a quarter inch gap. I'm going to try a 3/8" drill bit and a 1/2" drill bit to core out the knob so that it threads on all the way down.

Anyway, these definitely are not genuine parts, but not a bad deal for the price.

KevinM

Knowledge driven
Mar 30, 2005
Seattle, WA
www.cardomain.com
I picked up what was supposedly the last genuine from Toyota about a month ago - wasn't crazy about the Ebay style ones and I think your comparison is good for people considering it to see.

May workout fine, but it's good to know what you're getting into with the China stuff.

GL

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
There still on the trd site. Should be able to get one no problem.

Mine still seems to be holding up great after 5-6+ years.

Canuckrz

Jan 13, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
The legit one is weighted iirc, is the knockoff weighted as well? I also own the genuine knob, I don't know why anyone would run a different knob on their supra, its pretty well perfect.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Yep, fake one is obvious as it's not real leather and the work is shoddy.

Also, leather gets shiny because it's like skin (because it is, duh). Clean it to open the pores (why it's shiny) and then moisturize it.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
I've taken a pretty good look at the leather on the knock off, and it is real. Actually seems reasonably good. Since the stitching is less tight around the base, it's not hard to get a good look at the material.

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
Well, I'm fairly certain I have a genuine TRD shift knob now. Thanks! haha

It came with the shell, and I never really knew if it was genuine or not, but it looks identical to the genuine one in the pictures.