easy way to remove coil springs?

supr88

turbo addict
May 15, 2007
calgary or vancouver
was out in the garage working on some other stuff, and thought of something.
instead of removing the strut, and then using a spring compressor to compress the spring, then removing it from the shock why not:
undo the top nut of the shock with weight still on the wheels, so the spring is free to extend all the way. Then jack the car up one corner at a time so the weight is slowly released from the spring. Then to put the new spring back on do the same thing in reverse using the weight of the car to compress the spring then doing up the top nut on the shock. I figure this way, I wont have to deal with springs under pressure in a tool that could possibly slip off the coils, and coil spring compressors generally arent too user friendly in my experience.
anyone think this sounds like a good idea or has used this technique before? any reason it wouldnt work?

got_boosted

I need a turbo! >:(
Mar 3, 2006
Sacramento, CA
I lowered my 91T this way. Just be careful and make sure that the spring is unloaded before putting your fingers anywhere near it. It saved me lots of time, and, like you said, I didn't have to mess with an annoying coil spring compressor.

Collin

supr88

turbo addict
May 15, 2007
calgary or vancouver
very good thanks..
should be safer this way, since you dont have to remove a spring loaded death trap, then compress another one on there. the tension of the spring is slowly and safely released.

sneakypete

Jul 18, 2007
Central NJ
in my experience, using a spring compressor isnt such a pain in the ass. nor was it hard to take off or put on a new one

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
if your lowering it you might not even need a spring compressor for the new springs. i didn't.

thebadz32

Mar 16, 2008
Louisville Ky,
ive never used a spring compressor just lay the strut on the groung stand on the spring and take an impact gun to the nut on the end. Doesnt sound safe but theres never been any kind of problems just all comes apart slow and easy.

Isphius

Supra-less :(
May 30, 2006
long branch
Seems like an interesting idea. i dont think i would try it. Just remember to be 2% smarter than what your working on

supr88

turbo addict
May 15, 2007
calgary or vancouver
thebadz32;1267508 said:
ive never used a spring compressor just lay the strut on the groung stand on the spring and take an impact gun to the nut on the end. Doesnt sound safe but theres never been any kind of problems just all comes apart slow and easy.

ive done that before too, but for safety I borrowed a door mat and put that over the spring and stood on it, just incase she went! wasnt such a smart idea, it did end up shooting the top cap across the driveway but worked.. those were the days.